Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Philbert's book...now in in it's second printing!
Quote | Reply
Are you interested in the why of training, rather than simply the what? Ever wonder what LT, VO2max, or efficiency have to do with your performance? Curious about supplements and diet, and what the scientific community knows about them? There has been a lot of excellent research on these subjects, and unfortunately most of it is inaccessible to the average athlete without access to a university library.

I spent over a year reading the latest scientific literature, digesting it, and writing a book that covers exactly these subjects. It is written in english, rather than a lot of scientific jargon, and will not only explain these topics to you but allow you to go back to the original research and read it in detail yourself, if you wish. It is called Scientific Training for Triathletes, and is available at my website, www.physfarm.com. It is priced to move at just $10 plus $2.50 shipping and handling.

General questions, as well as dealer inquires are always welcome at my e-mail address coachphil@physfarm.com.

Reader Comments on Scientific Training for Triathletes

"What I took away from it that I really liked (and have not seen anyone else address) is the WHY rather than the WHAT. I think that it is important, and more helpful to know WHY I am doing a certain workout rather than just go in and say I need to do X minutes at Y effort, and train blindly. It is something I will use to develop training schedules, from weekly to multi-yearly plans/goals." -Jim A, Chicago-area triathlete.

"Phil, you should be charging more for this. It is so easy to read, and a lot different than other training books!" -Sam L., Los Angeles-area triathlete.

"The book seemed to be a good fit for reading prior to the USAT Level 1 Coaching Class. Those in the class who have an exercise physiology-type background may find the book too basic. However, it seems in line with the knowledge needed prior to the course for those of use who do not have a background in exercise physiology, but have a general understanding of our body and how it is affected by certain training/racing/coaching. This book may also help those with an exercise physiology-type background who have not applied their practice specifically to triathlons." Craig C., triathlete and coach (USAT certification pending).

"Not finished yet, but into Chapter 3 and am very excited about the book. The explanations are very clear. I'm going to order several more books; one as a gift for my favorite spinning instructor who is moving to California." -Sadj B, Baltimore-area coach and triathlete.

"Thanks, Phil. My friends who already bought the book love it. I look forward to reading it." -Anne V, Virginia coach and triathlete.

"J
ust ordered my second copy of your book....guess you can figure out what I think of it! :-)" -Ina N, Virginia Coach and triathlete.

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Last edited by: Philbert: Apr 16, 05 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Philbert's book...now in in it's second printing! [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Coach,

Looks interesting. Do you ship internationally (Switzerland)? and how much would that be?. Thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Philbert's book...now in in it's second printing! [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I do ship internationally. It would cost an additional $2.50 to ship to switzerland, so $15 total. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail to coachphil@physfarm.com, and I will invoice you directly.

Thanks a lot for your interest!

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Re: Philbert's book...now in in it's second printing! [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sent you an email. Thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey doc, i ordered and read your book several months (1?) ago. it was very good - easy to understand. my one complaint/suggestion... i wish there was a chapter at the end called, putting it all together that helped design a typical training week or offered several sample programs for different length triathlons. anyway, it was a good and useful read. good luck with printing #2.
Quote Reply
Re: Philbert's book...now in in it's second printing! [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your thoughts, thanks. The book was initially meant to simple provide the principles, so that people could use them to design their own plans. That being said, I've gotten your exact comment from a few other readers, i.e. they would have liked to have seen some sample plans as "ballpark guides" to putting a season together. I'm currently throwing around the idea of putting together a companion piece that would do just that...even just as a .pdf downloadable from the website. Maybe something like "case studies" of hypothetical athletes, some plans, and why you might or might not do certain things.

I'll need to think it over some more.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think a pdf companion piece is a great idea. i'll keep checking the website.
Quote Reply