Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Update from fat lazy, really down American
Quote | Reply
Well, I have not posted much on my progress to getting in shape for the sprint tri in August in a while,

CAUSE THERE IS NONE.

Im in one of the bigger downers Ive been in and not sure why probably going on at least a month now.

Not many work outs, have swam a few time (twice this week) Got along way to go before Im ready for .5mile open swim.

My bike SUCKS the rear wheel is out of true and shifting sucks, so I started looking for a bike a few months ago.

Yes I put in for tibbs OCR while back not cause I can't afford one but cause if someone gave me a bike, that would have been huge motivation to get out and ride it. Well my search has lead me to a cyclocross style bike, but there pretty much over a grand and I aint going that high for a bike $700 is going to be about it. Kona makes one called the Jake, (Sora level components but would have to do) $750. But no one has one to ride, and not sure how it would fit. Most Kona dealers are mountain bike folks and fit does not seem to be an issue for them I dont get it but just the way it is. Oh ya kona may be out of stock till june on them anyway. I feel I have wasted LOTS of time for nothing on this. Been watching ebay but no good deals there. Though there is an Airborne Carpe Deim there now but Im sure this will have a reserve well over 1grand ( its about a $2500 bike new).

So lets see, I have riden the peice of crap a few times. Have a bet with a co-worker that I will do at least half of the miles he does this year, (he has 80 in already) so I better get going. He will only count what gets measured by my bike computer which I need to get mounted.

Weight loss umm guess I should say weight change was holding 230 for some time then stopped checking just got on the scale 233. not to bad but in the wrong direction. 6' tall if your wondering.

Oh ya I was on track for a shot at a big promotion this year or next at work, well companies in the shits and no raises or promo's this year, and who knows about next.

Ok, enough bitching and moaning, going to go sulk in front of the TV watching Star Wars with the Family. Maybe I'll get the catseye on the bike and try to put in a few miles tomorrow.

on the swim side of thing need to stop after maybe 100 or 200 yds at most. I am SOOOO out of shape its beyond funny.

bye bye. I have no idea why I just dumped this all here other then oh shit it doesn't matter. Ok gotta stop now this is becoming a stream of consciencnious thing and that could get ugly really quick.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Update from fat lazy, really down American [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go run.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new bike and you'll be motivated to ride more. My suggestion for your price range is a road bike KHS Flite 500 at www.racycle.com for $700 or a Motobecame tri-bike at www.bikesdirect.com for about $750. Like the previous post said, get out and run or bike and you'll feel better. Good luck in your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One psychological tidbit: Plan on getting a new bike (a $600-$800 bike is fine) but maybe have a goal of X miles on your current junker, then once you get near that point, spring for the new one. There are a ton of great bikes out there, Fuji and Jamis spring to mind (I have one of each, a $1100 3-year-old Fuji road bike which is as fast as anything and a new $700 Jamis touring/cross bike which I have knobbies on -- but it is nearly as fast as anything with road tires) ... Konas are nice too. Once you buy the new one, then you should feel guilty enough to ride even more ... And get out and walk/jog/run ... Even just 20 min. is better than nothing. Start tomorrow. Happy training! -TB
Quote Reply
Re: Update from fat lazy, really down American [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto Vitus. Forget the bike; it's an excuse. I hear it's nice in Michigan now. Get your ass out there and run/walk. Better yet, go to Kensington and do the 8 mile loop this weekend. Look for deer and marvel at the swans. Meet your family at one of the playgrounds and have a picnic. The possibilities are endless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to guess you are battling a bit of depression. It happens a lot when life gets in the way.

I suggest you work out first thing every morning. It doesn't matter if it is a bike or run or swim. It doesn't even matter if it is only for 20 minutes or so. What matters is that you do it. Making love to wife counts too.

It is really tough to be depressed once you physically feel good and have the hormones firing in the morning.

If you do this, I wager you will shake it off in just a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training has been crap lately too, so I know a bit how you're feeling. I am nowhere close to where I wanted to be at this time of year. I've only averaged a few runs a week and a handful of times on the trainer all winter.

I've finally starting getting a handle on it. I am forcing myself to do something every day, even if it's only a 20 minute run. My problem is that if I don't have a 2 hour workout window then I skip it. Now there's no excuses. I've got to do a workout or something active every day. It's helping and I'm definitely getting out there more. If you start doing something every day, and stop worrying about your bike, I think things will start feeling better.

Good luck with it.

Dawn
Quote Reply