Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bibs, what am I missing?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for some new shorts. While perusing, I noticed there are a lot of bibs in the current Performance catalog. Off the top of my head, I sure can't figure out why I would want to bike in pseudo-suspenders and about 1/2 of an extra layer. On the other hand, I've only cycled for 3-4 years, and somebody is buying the darn things, so maybe there is something wonderful about them that hasn't dawned on me.

What's the argument for 'em?
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, the benefit of bib shorts is that you don't get constricted around the waist by elastic or draw string waists and that you get a good coverage of the lower back when bent over on the bike which prevents chills in the back and associated problems. The later is possibly more pertainent here in Europe than in the more temperate areas of the US.

Julian in England

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I just bought a pair and I love them. Check out this website for the best deals. ProCycleGear.com

A family business and very friendly. The shorts take a ride or too to get used to, then you forget them. They provide a lot of support and you feel strapped in. Almost like your a superhero in a special suit.

Like any other short the pad is where it counts. These guys have pro Euro shorts with some the most comfortable pads I've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I and everyone I know who has started riding in bibs think they are much more comfotable. The lack of the waist band and no gap in the back is nice if your bent low on the bars. You probably need to try them for fit more than regular shorts because on some brands the straps are not very stretchy so if you're tall certain brands will give you a wedgie.
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I and everyone I know who has started riding in bibs think they are much more comfotable.
Yep, I don't own anything but bibs. Other than being a tad bit harder to "relieve yourself" in, they are far more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of which, is there a reason you guys or gals know of why bibs are not available for women? Are bibs designed somehow to manage guys' parts in a better way than regular shorts, and that's the reason one never sees women's bibs offered? I bought a smaller pair of men's bibs and I like them for the comfort of no waist band, plus I agree with someone above that the pads are much better than most of the shorts I get. I don't mind buying guys' shorts if that what it takes, but I was just wondering if I was committing some faux pas by doing so..
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I bought a smaller pair of men's bibs"

i don't know, somehow the thought of women in cycling bibs is appealing to me. i'm all for it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we still have to wear jerseys though...in case that was where you were going with that.

Jacquie Mardell

USA Triathlon certified coach
ASCA/USA Swimming certified coach
http://www.ladolcevelo.com

Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checked out the link, very cool, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, now for a question on bib etiquette. In every picture I have seen of cyclists wearing bib shorts, the cyclist is wearing an undershirt. Is this the norm? As a cyclist in the South, thought of wearing an undershirt and a jersey in 95 degree heat with humidity to match is scary.
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assos also makes ladies bibs. They look awesome, but I'm too poor to dish out the 200$. I think I've also seen a Castelli.

Team estrogen offered a winter bib that had full frontal coverage. Don't know if they still have it.

Meg.
Quote Reply
Re: Bibs, what am I missing? [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a Castelli mesh undershirt under my jerseys especially in the hottest weather because it has depth to the weave which actually holds the jersey away from the skin so it doesn't stick to you with sweat. It is really comfortable on hot days.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bibs are the bomb! They kick so much ass over regular shorts (for everything except pit stops) that I will never buy "regular" cycling shorts again. I still have a couple pair of regular shorts that refuse to die, but they're always at the back-end of my clean shorts rotation.

You have to try them for yourself to truly appreciate the increased comfort.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think we still have to wear jerseys though..."

In Ontario it is now legal for women to go topless, although most don't due to social convention. A few years ago a woman challenged the law that forbade women to go topless and won her case. Hey, if men can do it so why can't women? I'm all for equal rights.

Just today I saw a and gal riding mountain bikes and both were topless. She was an overweight middle aged woman so probably should have kept her top on. Still, I admire her for doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bibs ROCK!!!!! I will never buy a pair of waist-banded, cut off the circulation to your lower half, constricting, uncomfortable pair of conventional shorts EVER AGAIN!!!!!! Ride 100 miles in a pair of regular shorts, then ride 100 in a pair of bibs, and you will see why. The only next best thing is a skinsuit, which is the way I have requested my team uniforms for aeons.

Relief is easy- pull up a leg, take out the plumbing, unclip the pedal, and wee wee wee all the way home. This is a male prespective; I admit that women may not have this option :^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less is more, in my view. Bike shorts don't bother me a whit. Bib shorts simply add a layer of HEAT in the summer here in Florida and I rarely get cold in the winter. So, my experience is definitely contrary. Also, bib shorts are usually way over-priced, like most bike equipment. I got the Colorado Cycling Catalog and couldn't believe the prices they have put on their clothing. Hey, I like Assos stuff, but I am not dumb enough to spend $200 for bib shorts. Now, when I age up I might be dumb enough.... :)

Anyway, save your money and buy some Performance shorts.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply