Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Switzerland report
Quote | Reply
In the weeks I wrote/answered several post about IM Switzerland. Here is a short race report:

Friday: Good food a the Pasta Party but a little bit loud and hot.

Saturday: 11:30am meeting for all competitors im military category.
At 2pm we planed a Slowtwitcher meeting. Because the official 'meeting point' from last year didn't exist anymore I found no Slotwitcher I am sorry that I suggetsed such a bad meeting point!. At 3pm I checked in my bike a took a short swim in the lake.

Sunday: Wake up at 4:30, had breakfast and drove 30 min from my parents home to Zurich. Set up transition aera and put on wetsuit.
7am Swim: Start of nearly 1400 competitors (record field). Very crowded and the first 500m were hard (had to breath every 2nd stroke). Then I could settle in a good, easy pace and found a good swimmer to draft. Lost this one after the small channel at the end of the loop but soon foun another good draft. Because I swam easy I expected a time above 1:10 but came out in 1:08. Great!

Bike: Started easy and tired to go for my target HR of 135. On the long hill I climbed with a HR over 150. Passed everyone on the downhills because of my Hed H3 front and Renn Disc. Heart break hill was great. Spectators were lining the road. Sometimes there was room for only one bike (like Alp d'Huez).
On the 2nd loop I threw away my full bottle on the aid station before the long hill because I thought my Profile aero bottle was full. It was nearly empty. Beside this I had no problems with nutrition. On the third loop we had a strong backwind from the upcoming thunderstorm on the long flat from Zurich along the lake. There I passed many competitors and 'flew' along the road. On the way back the wind was not that bad. After 5:21:23 I came into T2 were I saw my wife for the first time during the race. I was very happy with this time. Now I could have a 4:30 marathon to finish below 11 hours!!

Run: I felt good when I started the marathon and planned to run 5:30 to 6:00 per km . I preferred to start easy and don't blow up during the run. The first lap (14km) was no problem. because you pass 3 times near the finish I saw my wifeand boy (nearly 2 years) three times every loop. This was a great motivation. During the 2nd loop it became harder and I slowed down. At the end of the 2nd loop I had some slight cramps in the upper thigh (backside). But then It started to rain and I suddenly felt fresh again, the cramps disappeared and I could run faster. 8km from the finish I told my wife that I probably finish under 10:30 and felt fantastic.
Shortly before the finish I 'grabbed' my son and finished my first Ironman after 10:24:10 (marathon 3:50) .

I was totally surprised by this time. I hoped that I could go under 11 hours if everything went good. But I never thought about breaking 10:30. Last year I would have qualified for Hawaii with this time!

Now I feel already good. I have only a little muscle sorness and 3 blisters. This is good because I race the olympic distance Swiss Championship in two weeks. I am looking forward to do Roth (and probably Powerman Zofingen) next year.

How did the other Slowtwitcher in Switzerland (and Lake Placid). I liked to read some reports.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done, Félix. Great to see that you did far better than expected. 5.20 on the bike is already a very good time indeed.

I will also be doing the Swiss Championships in Nyon in two weeks and a half, we could maybe meet there before of after the race (to make up for the fiasco of Zurich for the slotwitchers' meeting).

I haven't been training much since the beginning of June (too much work, lots of business travel) and my fitness got bad. I still did the half Ironman in Sion, and that was the worst race in my life. Still managed to finish, but I don't know how. THis is definitely a tough race (the toughest Half Ironman or Ironman in the world, far worst than Embrun).

Anyway, I'll try to regain some fitness before Nyon, and see you there.

Laurent
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I still did the half Ironman in Sion, and that was the worst race in my life. Still managed to finish, but I don't know how. This is definitely a tough race (the toughest Half Ironman or Ironman in the world, far worse than Embrun). [/reply]

On July 13th I cycled from Biel to Nax (194km, 2400m height) where I just saw the last competitor of the 'Iron du Valais' going trough the village. I had difficulties during the last climb (900m height on the last 10km) because it was so hot (well over 30C).
The bike course of the (Half) Iron du Valais is definetely one of the hardest on the world. But the run is flat. There is a Half-IM in California called 'World toughtest Half'. There you find a much more challenging run after a hard bike course.

[reply]Anyway, I'll try to regain some fitness before Nyon, and see you there. [/reply]

I will let you know my race number when it is known. We can meet before or after the race in Nyon.

Felix Weilenmann
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, see you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job Felix! Sorry for the blown meeting point, but as you've seen it was hell on Saturday, with 100 races going on at the same time. The funniest thing happened after I checked my bike and went to the transition area of the ongoing races to check my sister's bike (she did the olympic distance). It was like Dante's Inferno, with people from different races coming and going from opposite directions, until two gentlemen literally smashed into each other with their respective bikes. Wow! As far as my race is concerned, I didn't have the time of my life but it was good neverthless. I ran the whole marathon with a friend and we crossed the finish line (actually I jumped and I hit the time display) in 11h 39' under pouring rain. The way I crossed the finish line was stupid because I could have injured myself, but apparently it wasn't the most moronic one. My sister told me that a very tall guy crossed the line with his son on his shoulders. Too bad that the poor kid didn't clear the arch, hitting the post and falling face first... Other than that I have to say that I didn't like the bike course a bit, because there were way too many athletes on such a short course and unfortunately I saw way too much drafting. Congratulations to all finishers! It ain't no fun to run under such pouring rain.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [maz z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maz z, congratulation to your race.

[reply]Other than that I have to say that I didn't like the bike course a bit, because there were way too many athletes on such a short course and unfortunately I saw way too much drafting. [/reply]

The first lap was crowded but there was no real drafting around me. I saw drafting only in the 2nd loop when a big group catched me. Fortunately a race marshal split this group later. During the last lap sometimes I saw none in front of me.
I don't think that the short course (60km loop) was a problem. If you are overtaken by someone in another loop you probably won't draft him because he is way to fast. Drafting is between people in the same loop.

[reply]Congratulations to all finishers! It ain't no fun to run under such pouring rain.[/reply]
As i wrote in my report I was happy for the rain on my 3rd lap. It helped me to go faster and finish under 10:30. With the sun burning down I probably suffered much more during the last lap. This way I could enjoy the last 14km.
But if you had to run for longer in the rain it was not so nice. I was pitty for the people running in the rain when I left at 7pm.

Felix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that you guys are more used to run in these conditions than us (Italians). I would have loved to have a burning sun throughout the day but I wasn't counting on it, because my sister lives in Zurich and she told me that sometimes you have four seasons in just a few hours. As far as drafting is concerned, what I saw was people literally jumping on faster "trains," but once again we're all different and we all do things for different reasons. The really amazing thing (amazing for me) was to see Olivier Bernhard on Swiss TV's main Sunday sports program at 9pm. They had a lengthy interview, they showed bits and pieces of the race and that (along with the incredible participation to Saturday races) made me understand why you guys are so strong at this sport and why we suck so much.
Good luck for your Swiss championships. I'm heading to Nice in 6 weeks.
Filippo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats guys! maz z, unlike you, I absolutely loved the course. Well the bike course I guess. I thought it was hands down the most fun course I've ridden. Yes it was crowded, and there was some drafting, but for the most part I tried to not let it get to me. I really like the simplicity of the bike course rules. (No position penalties or passing penalties like here in the States) When the course did get crowded, I thought that most people did a good job staggering their positions to avoid blatant drafting. I only had an experience with one group that was doing a tight double pace line.

Unfortunately for me I had some "stomach" issues on the run. I had to walk a large portion of the first lap and spent enough time in the bathrooms to start taking split times! My biggest complaint about the race was that they didn't have any port-a-potties out on the course. Arrrgghhh!! I came in 16 minutes over my goal, but given that I spent a little over 25 minutes in the bathroom and who knows how much time walking to the bathroom, I'm very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Pooks, sorry to hear what happened to you but congratulations on finishing a hard day in the office! I agree with you when you say that you appreciated the simplicity of the rules on the bike and the fact that marshalls warned you before assessing unnecessary penalties. Give me the Swiss marshalls any day over the US ones. I'm sorry but for me US marshalls are way too strict and they give penalties too easily. That's the main reason why I don't think I'll ever do another IM in the US. Man, last year at IM Utah, I was given a blocking penalty 6 miles into the bike, for failing to pass a guy (who had just momentarily slowed down and didn't even see me) in 30 seconds. I rode scared the rest of the day. Sorry but that ain't fun for me.
It's not that I didn't like the course, I just think that 2 90km laps would have been better, period. As far as drafting I agree also that the vast majority of the time people were trying to do their very best to avoid drafting, although sometimes it was simply impossible not to be in packs, unless you disappeared. However I actually saw people going together on purpose. I wonder what's the purpose of doing an IM if you don't do it by yourself.
As far as a really nice bike course I suggest you to join me next year in Lanzarote, I don't think there's a more beautiful albeit tough course on earth.
Take care
Filippo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to do IM Lanzarote. But this is too early. To be ready for Lanzarote (or IM Australia/New Zealand) in spring I had to train long hours in winter. And I don't like doing the long rides (2+ hours) below 5C or indoor. Here you have an advantage in Italy.

My photos from IM Switzerland are here: http://www.live-sportphotos.com/cgi-bin/index.php4?lang=en&target=pictures&eid=123&sn=169

What start number do the other IM Switzerland participants had? I like do see your pictures (because we couldn't meet).

Felix

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Felix I was # 470. It's too bad that you're not gonna do Lanzarote because it's really a blast, plus it's a heck of a vacation. You're right though, I have some sort of advantage being snowless for most of the Winter (although it does get nasty sometimes). My brother in law who lives in ZH might try to do it next year, we'll see how hard it's gonna be for him to train properly.

Filippo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Felix-

My race number was 996 and my wife was 997. We really enjoyed the race and also spending 2 weeks traveling Switzerland. Beautiful country.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian,

I probably saw you on the bike. As much as I remember I was once near a guy with a Litespeed and Zipp wheels. But I am not sure.
What did you visit in Switzerland?

Felix

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felix-

Could have been me based on your times. I forgot to look for people because I don't know anyone in Switzerland other than you and my wife and I didn't know what kind of bike you rode. The bike course was hard for a flat lander like myself, but I thought it was a great course.

Besides Zurich we visited the Rhine Falls, Utilberg, Lake Lugano, Zermatt, Interlaken and Lucerne. All great places but our favorites were probably Zermatt and Lugano. The one thing about Switzerland is that it is very expensive.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][The one thing about Switzerland is that it is very expensive.[/reply]

That is the reason why I order most of my tri gear in US. With all the taxes and shipping it is still much cheaper than in Switzerland. On my race wheels (H3 and Renn Disc) I saved about 1000 swiss francs by ordering them in the US.
The advantage is that we can travel nearly everywhere and it is cheaper!

Felix
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland report [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Anyway, I'll try to regain some fitness before Nyon, and see you there.

Laurent[/reply]

Laurent, my start number in Nyon is 255. What is your start number?

Felix

Quote Reply