Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One Year Later, A Beginners Journey, the next step/level
Quote | Reply
About one year ago, your typical average joe, me, was talked into doing my first sprint distance triathlon. I weighed about 175, and did not even have a bike. (About 15-20 lbs overweight) I don't even like the water, and I was not much of a runner. I bought an old pink road bike for $125, got some minor repairs done, picked up some goggles, and some brooks running shorts/tights and a cheap pair of running shoes, and started to train, and research, train, and research, etc.

I completed my first triathlon and almost finished last because I got a flat 3 miles from the run and had to run my bike in, thus doing an extra 3miles. A few months later I completed my second triathlon after getting that pink bike painted ky blue, and began research for a decent road bike. (Yada, Yada, Yada) About $3000 later with a new road bike, running shoes, and all the other tri-stuff that I have accumulated over the past 11-12 months, I am hooked!, Addicted.
I am down to around 160, and and complete a sprint distance without much fear. What I want to know is where do I go from here?

What can I do over the next year to get better. I am still a bad swimmer and can only swim in the summer, no indoor pools around, I absolutely love to ride, and probably average around 16-17mph, I really don't like to run, I run between 3-6miles 2-3 times a week, ride 2-3times, do a brick every 7-10 days or so, I train/run at about a pace of 9 minutes per mile. Please help, encourage, give me your ideas, etc. Thank you Slowtwitch, you are my #1 resource. TDF was awesome! I would like to improve my run and speed, and/or increase to an olympic for next summer.

KY Rocket
Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: One Year Later, A Beginners Journey, the next step/level [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are greatness. hold your head up and flex as much as you can. you've earned it.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: One Year Later, A Beginners Journey, the next step/level [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're the MAN!!! Have you put the Tri-stuff line in your family budget yet?

To get better, keep on doing all of the above. Your progress will be amazing in the second and third years. Especially since you will have enough endurance to do some great training. I started about like you and have found that the longer distances are more satisfying. Since I am slow, the distance seems to bring everyone back to me a little. Love the 1/2IM distance - good test of endurance and keeps the training focused. Also makes the Oly feel a lot easier. Keep motivated and keep us informed. Welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your first few tris!

I'm at the same stage you were at a year ago. Did my first tri training session last night and am planning to do a sprint in Jan/Feb.

As for where you can go from here, it's a simple question of faster or longer. You can stay with sprints and work on speed, or step up to Olympic distance.

If you decide to step up a distance, then you need to increase the length of your workouts gradually (no more than 10% per week).

Get some lessons in swimming by joining a Masters club in your area, or by getting a college coach to take a look at your stroke and give you some tips. You can make HUGE gains in swimming, without getting any fitter, if you just improve your technique.

For speed, you might consider doing some interval workouts. Other more experienced people can give you more information on that topic.

Finally, don't neglect running because you don't like it. Work on your weaknesses.

Hope some of this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a dead set legend!!

I have only been in tri for a little while longer than yourself, and freely admit to being addicted. I coming from a soccer background, so had a reasonable level of fitness (endurance and speed) but needed a new outlet with knees that no longer enjoyed moving in lateral directions (and all this by 25).

In my first two seasons, all I did was enjoy myself. Learning, researching, buying the off gizmo here and gadget there, staying fit and getting out there and competing. I just wanted to see if it was a phase, or if it would stick. I did sprints with my girlfriend, Corporate events with colleagues and got to know as much as I could in as short a time as possible.

Two years later, I have a coach and a structured program that will allow me to develop in a more intelligent way. My training schedule focusses on quality and not sheer volume/quantity, which helps me stay motivated as I come back from almost every session proud of what I have done.

I will stay in triathlon as long as I am still having fun - this is the number one factor for me. My journey has a long way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: One Year Later, A Beginners Journey, the next step/level [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always go by this guote, or something along these lines. "The real challenge is not to out do others, but to out do ourselfs." Just keep stiving to get faster and stronger by training longer, harder, and smarter.

Keep it up, man! Your doing great!
Quote Reply