Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best clothes changing for triathlons
Quote | Reply
Hi, all.

So I've done 7 tris so far and am getting an idea of the best clothing. I REALLY like this TYR full-body swimskin, and will soon test it out in a tri relay, so I at least won't have to change out of it. I plan to wear it with no underclothing.

However, I also do full tris, and I want to know if there is a way to wear the swimskin and then change out of it. What's the best thing to wear under it? I should confess, I have a serious problem with my transition times. If I look at the results, the 20 people or so ahead of me ALL have slower times in the actual sports, but my transitions are just awful so I lose time.

Was wondering if you could share your techniques, as in what do you wear, what do you take off/put on at each transition, etc. I have tried bike shorts/sports bra under wetsuit, then take off suit to put on bike jersey, then take that off for run top. Is there a better way? My swim is the slowest, so I really want a suit.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best clothes changing for triathlons [Vegas_chica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there. I'm sure as you continue to practice, things will improve.

I don't change my clothes at all in a race unless it's possibly at ironman, and even then in the last one I didn't change much.

I usually wear a sports bra or tri top (tri top with a long length to cover the abdomen) with tri shorts.
I wear that under the wetsuit. So remove wetsuit after the swim and stay in the same clothes for the rest of the race.

Everyone is very different and you'll just have to experiment to find what works best for you. Good luck!
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason why you change? Is it comfort? If you find the right tri clothing you will be comfortable. Took me a while to find what I liked.

I agree with determination, wear the same thing for the whole race. There is no reason why you need to change. Sometimes people do in full Ironmans but I didn't in mine.

Train in any new clothes so you can spot any issues with discomfort.

I'd wear tri-shorts, not bike shorts, otherwise you'll feel like you are wearing a diaper on the swim and the run.

If you decide to go with a swim skin you will see others have their tri-suits underneath them. Same with wetsuits.

If you are concerned about boob support, sportsbra under the top you will be wearing.

If you are concerned about being cold, wear arm warmers. Unless it is pouring rain and legitimately cold, you will get warmed up. If it really is cold, get a full zip-up jersey/jacket. Trying to pull anything over your head when you are wet is nearly impossible.

Keep looking around for the right tri clothes. They will make a huge difference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try wearing only a swimsuit. I train in a swimsuit-- even on trainer and treadmill.
I like the ease and economics of it; I have enough trouble doing laundry without my 11 month old making more.
Only time I wear other stuff is when I'm training out in public. =)

That probably didn't quite answer your question, but you wouldn't have to worry about losing time in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a triathlon suit under my wet suit and it works just fine for me but like the other posts above it will be your individual preference. Prior to purchasing my triathlon suit I wore a swimming suit with a pair of triathlon shorts underneath the wetsuit. Hope this helps you out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the race is Olympic or under, a one piece tri-suit will work. There may be no changing at all with that. Just get out of the water, put on helmet and shoes and GO. That should fix your transition time ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the ideas! I may go with a tri suit under the swimskin with a sports bra (I'm only 34B, but I hate feeling all that bounce and wondering what it will do to me in 20 years!). Does it matter if the tri suit is in one or 2 pieces? I am thinking maybe 2 pieces (ie shorts/top) are less aero but more comfortable on the run. I'd be OK in 1 piece (modesty, schmodesty around fellow tri-ers), just whatever is fastest/easiest in the bike+run if I'm not going to be changing.

Another issue is with the shoes, I have clipless pedals and nice tri bike shoes, and pull-on running shoes for triathlons. Guess I just need to practice the on/off with those.

Do agree about the cycle shorts being a bad idea. In part that happened because I was so uncomfortable with the saddle on my new bike. After the season ended, I researched and purchased a new saddle so hopefully that problem is solved.

Great suggestions!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri shorts and a tri top will be fitted enough to not affect aero. Whatever drag you'd get is miniscule and not likely to affect your bike time.

Cue bmanners to disagree....

I always wore a 2 piece because I found two different brands worked best for me. I had SheBeest bottoms and I forget what the top was. Also the top will have back pockets whereas the one piece I don't think does. I always cram stuff on back pockets.

And yes, the shoes on and off takes practice but the bungie laces or lace locks really help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Dec 27, 11 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegas_chica wrote:
I may go with a tri suit under the swimskin with a sports bra (I'm only 34B, but I hate feeling all that bounce and wondering what it will do to me in 20 years!).

Not an unfounded fear!

I would recommend a sports bra under your tri suit. Of all the things that annoy me on a tri, a wet bra isn't one of them.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply