Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting sociological observations...
Quote | Reply
Once a year I help collect money for our local Association for Retarded Citizens (I know that isn't a PC term, but it's theirs, not mine), by standing on the side of the road and "selling" Tootsie Rolls. Some of my observations:

--People driving large, expensive vehicles, smoked glass windows rolled up, A/C on, talking on cell phones usually will not donate.

--People driving old junkers, often rusty pickup trucks with tools in the back (what you might call a "redneck") oftentimes will donate.

--A larger percentage of African-Americans will donate than whites.

--Females (young, middle-aged, or old) who fancy themselves "hot" usually will not donate.

--People can look through you like you are invisible.

--People wearing T-shirts with a football team logo (college or pro) usually will not donate.

--Someone gave me a $50 bill. Wish I knew who it was.

--Some people thanked me for taking their money, some even said "God bless you." Others honked and gave me the finger, but far fewer than those who were nice.

All in all, I collected several hundred dollars in about 2.5 hrs., and came away with a pretty positive impression of the populace of our area. But most importantly, in the years I have been doing this, I have changed some of my own outlooks towards others who are less fortunate than myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen and heard the same. I once was passed by a "collector" and called him back - he said that he did not stop at my car because "people who drive a Benz never give any money" - so I didnt give any either...

(no, I really did give him a couple bucks - had the money ready and he walked past me like I was invisible - he was a Fireman holding out his boots as collection bins)

This post is very much like the post a while back about tipping when you are out to eat - and a couple friends who are waiters said that black people more often than not dont tip...and boy I was I ever racist to say that (and all I did was say what they said - damn me to hell)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have $$ taken out of my salary monthly and automatically donated to charity. When I pass people I usually feel self-conscious not donating if the charity is worthy. I almost want to tell them I gave at the office. Really.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is interesting but in defense of the "People driving large, expensive vehicles, smoked glass windows rolled up, A/C on, talking on cell phones" it is possible that they donate in other ways. I think people don't trust people on the corner no matter who they are or what they say the cause is (except for the firefighter MDA drives).

I am always amazed when those tv magazine shows like primetime do undercover investigation on how different people are treated based on looks, very interesting. People do make some serious assumptions, me included.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. People do make assumption on looks alone and get burned.

I have to admit, I never give out money or buy things from those on the streets. I don't know who these people are, what cause I'm donating to or if it's legit or not. Too many weirdos in the world to just hand out money through a window plus it's a busy street. Why make it more dangerous and distracting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never donate to people on the street.

It is hard to give away money in such a fashion that it will actually do some good.

I gave tsunami money to the American Red Cross, for example, because I have a lot of confidence the money will be used effectively. If they weren't in the loop, I probably wouldn't have donated at all. Gee, do you think donations to UNICEF will get the job done?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, personally speaking, I hate being on the street collecting money--probably as much as, if not more than, the people who are driving by. Why do we do it? Simple. It works--a LOT better than standing outside a Wal-Mart or grocery store.

Our organization name (well known and respected) and who we are collecting for is clearly visible. And, all (100%) of the money we collect (even the Tootsie Rolls we give away are donated) goes direct to a local charity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last time I gave money to charity. Call me skeptical, but I don't think there is anyway to know where the money goes or what percentage actually makes it to the intended recipient.

I always know where my time goes and have put in 300+ hours volunteering in the last year and a half.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [srgraves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Do you volunteer for organizations that operate without any budget?

Tri-Bri2: It's possible that you merely observed that people with large expensive cars don't like tootsie rolls. As an experiment, try selling caviar next year ;-)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
--Females (young, middle-aged, or old) who fancy themselves "hot" usually will not donate.

How are you able to determine their self-image by looking at them through a windshield?

I would never donate cash to anyone selling something on the side of the road. I suspect that if you do, there's probably a 90% chance of the cash going to be used to buy drugs or alcohol.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [srgraves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the money I donate to charity goes two ways: (1) To my church in form of checks in the weekly donation envelopes, or (2) Through payroll contribution to reliable agencies that list their administrative overhead costs. I have also donated my time, having just finished up an 11 year stint as a Boy Scout leader, spending up to 1,000 hours a year doing that.

I am not saying people are wrong to be leery of people collecting money on the street--only making observations as to what kind of people will donate and what kind of people won't. I realize there is a whole other layer of the onion that needs to be peeled back before real conclusions can be drawn. Maybe some kinds of people are more trusting or caring than others, or maybe some kinds of people are more likely to give "at the office" than others.

My real point is that, after about 5-6 years of doing this, I can tell with about a 70-80% degree of reliability who will give me money and who won't just by looking at them, their dress, and their vehicle. Doesn't mean those who don't give me money are bad people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do good work. You make me look bad. Will have to think about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which state has the highest rate of charitable giving? Mississippi, where you see lots of rusty pick up trucks, rednecks, African Americans, and people who at a glance appear that they are like themselves in need of a helping hand. And those gun-rack-equipped-truck drivers generally are plenty courteous to cyclists on the road, too. Besides the politics and religion, living in a deep red state can be pretty nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [dire wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi dire wolf,

I don't think there are many (or any?) organizations that operate without a budget ;)

I know for some people it is easier or more appropriate to write a check (and that is very important, things couldn't get done without their support). Being a younger guy I have more time than money and do my best to contribute.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Our organization name (well known and respected) and who we are collecting for is clearly visible.[/reply]

I think it's an interesting sociological observation that you won't tell people you're a member of the Knights of Columbus. Why dance around that fact?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the Knights of Columbus are a Catholic organization and there are those who think that the Catholic Church is evil, outdated in its thinking, and doesn't follow the times...Selling tootsie rolls on the street corner is part of their evil plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think the name of the organization was pertinent. But, your assumption as to its name is correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting sociological observations... [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has to be part of a conspiracy to take over, otherwise, why would you be selling carbs on the street corners???

The whole lot of you are EVIL!!!! ;-)
Quote Reply