Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why me?
Quote | Reply
I tend to not be terribly opinionated. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt. I'm easy going. But, I do have my limits. I blew off a 10 year friendship with this guy because he changed. He became a pretty conservative right-winged, opinionated person. I remember him complaining that somebody wasn't allowed to build a high-rise becuase it would have interfered with the migration path of some endangered butterfly. I wanted to respond about destroying a species for profit and get into an environmental debate. But I decided against it because between myself and him, we wouldn't be able to resolve the issue. He also got an Explorer a few years after I bought a Trooper. He proclaimed how much better the Explorer was (it has a digital compass) (I still have my '92 Trooper, he wrecked his Exploder). Well, that was the beginning of the end. I saw less and less of him. We still exchange Christmas cards.

It's been maybe 5 years, now. A month ago, he calls me at work. He asks how I am (a very rare occurance for him since he's really a 'me' kind of guy.) I'm fine, so I ask him what's up. There's a long pause and then, "My wife's leaving me!!! sob sob I'm sorry, I'm very emotional right now..." He dumps on me his miserable story and in the end, I can see why she left. Nevertheless, I attempt to comfort him a bit and tell him to get his own bank accounts immediately and get a lawyer and keep up a good front for the kids, blah, blah blah.

Growing up, my neighbor and I were best friends, from 5 years old through maybe 10. Then his family moved. We kept a little contact but eventually that faded. He somehow finds my number (I guess not too hard, these days) and leaves a message: "It's a voice from your past and I'd like to talk to you." Not much else. A few days later I call. (I've been very busy and hadn't a chance earlier.) We talked a little bit, and then he gets into the meat of his call. He wanted to remember the name of the family across the street in our childhood neighborhood. A simply awful family of thugs and low-lifes. I would not be suprised if the two boys were either dead or holed up in jail. Anyway, my old friend has started having memory flashes of being molested by the father of that wretched family. He's had some counseling, but without some validation from me that the family existed and what their names are and their disposition - things he needed from me - he couldn't find closure.

I think it's just weird. Long lost friends calling me and dumping. Of course, I give them the support their looking for. Should I follow up, get involved, rekindle a relationship based on the incidences they've shared with me? I don't know. It's creepy. I did tell the failed marraige guy to keep me posted. I haven't heard back from him. The childhood friend lives in Florida (I'm in California), but he now knows I'll be there for IMFL. He said he may come out to see me then. Well, that's a long way off!

Just bizarre.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Why me? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. That's some heavy stuff (the second half of the story). Sometimes we have to just be there for others, but sometimes we have to be careful for ourselves.

I used to work as a counsellor for at-risk youth, kids pretty close to the edge i.e.: drug, alcohol, abuse, sex trade, etc. I was 17 when I started this job, and because I was a minor, all the kids would tell me about their problems (being a minor I had no legal obligation to report anything illegal like abuse, and these kids all knew it). The things I heard about were horrific, sad, depressing, frightening... I could go on. I did this job for 2 years and it sucked the life and love out of me.

I try not to be a "me" person, I really do, but there are times when I have to because I cannot take that kind of emotional vampirism anymore. Example: my father, back in 99 or so, at the age of 55, became a heroin addict. Seriously. He stole from everyone in our family, including me. I was so hurt, devastated by his actions, sad to see a person with whom I had had such a great relationship fade away into this other ... thing. I had to cut him out of my life because I couldn't take it, I couldn't let his addiction hurt me, and it would have (I mean I was already hurt, but I could not cope with his problems). Sure, I was called selfish by half of my family, but the other half understood that I had to end my relationship with him because it would have been very damaging to me. Selfish, but who else was going to take care of me but me? Today, he is clean, and he comes once a week to visit his granddaughter, and we talk like we used to, about politics, and history, and so on.

Anyways, back to your situation, sometimes, if you can take it, it's OK to let someone just dump/vent/get it out... even if they have been selfish in the past. If they get their st*t together, just let them know that you may want the favour returned one day. If they aren't so accommodating, then so be it, let it go. Unless this person is going to hurt you, emotionally, or drag you down, make you feel bad about yourself, give them the time they need. But be prepared to pull back, draw the line, set boundaries if it gets out of hand (i.e.: they call several times a day to vent/dump, etc.)

I have found if you are easy going, people will gravitate towards you in times like this, because they know you will help and not refuse them, not want much in return, etc. As long as you know what's OK for you, and can verbalize that when needed, you can deal with these rainy day friends.

Best of luck re: situation #2.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Why me? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - great insight. Yup, gotta look out for #1, first. How much of your reaction to your dad's problem helped him get over it - by means of missing you, I guess?

It's just a strange coincidence that these two calls happened so close to each other. I'm going to be very nervous if I hear from any other old friends. OTOH, I've maintained contact with a couple old girlfriends - 20+ years ago. They've gone off and gotten married, had kids and all. We're able to talk like old chums - it's really fun.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why you?

Because you seem to be the sort of person who prefers to give than to take. After so many years others still have faith in you and you should therefore be proud of yourself.

Of course this doesn't help you personally, because you don't want "old friends" to come up and dump on you after so many years! And I guess I know how hard it is to tell them off. But would it really be presumptuous to tell them that you can't really help them?

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have found that strange things like this often show up in multiples... I think sometimes the first thing catches you off guard, then the next one catches you while you're stunned, kind of like getting the wind knocked out of you, the second thing seens to hit that much harder because you're already off balance from the first.

But why do they all come at once? Who knows... synchronicity... I guess ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprising you got the call. Most guys I know can tell you the names of all their ex-girlfriends and what was wrong with them....I'll bet that once he realized he was going to be "alone" he immediately thought of you because he knows he can get a sympathetic ear and you do have a history. I'm just surprised he didn't try to see you in person.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Emotional Vampirism". That is as good and accurate a description as I've ever come across for people who call out of the blue to dump or guilt you into things they know you do not want to do.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Why me? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the queen of catchphrases. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply