Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems
Quote | Reply
I am having some Achilles Heel and Posterior Tib problems. Have been seeing a PT and seen minimal improvement. I am wondering if anyone has used compression socks or sleeves to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [holocker10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down to two words....Paulo you are THEE best! If I buy the whole package can you you be my roller :0)

Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [holocker10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holocker10 wrote:
I am having some Achilles Heel and Posterior Tib problems. Have been seeing a PT and seen minimal improvement. I am wondering if anyone has used compression socks or sleeves to help.

I'm curious as to why you would think that would help. Really.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this your N = 1 experience, or is there actual relevant data to support it?
Last edited by: JRenfro: Dec 1, 11 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
back before compression was popular, my PT suggested compression socks (not the sleeves...I don't think they existed then...but the'd likely irritate the tendon by cutting into it some). I used them for 2 years, along with TP and ART.

A lot of achilles problems are from calf problems, so the compression helps with that. And rolling the calf helps a lot too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say try everything mentioned so far - compression socks, trigger point roller, foam roller. I'll also suggest wearing high quality supportive sandals around the house.

One more, when racing/training, you can also use the K-tape to support the achilles under the compression sock.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Rumble Roller.....below.

http://www.rumbleroller.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
back before compression was popular, my PT suggested compression socks (not the sleeves...I don't think they existed then...but the'd likely irritate the tendon by cutting into it some). I used them for 2 years, along with TP and ART.

A lot of achilles problems are from calf problems, so the compression helps with that. And rolling the calf helps a lot too.

Agreed.

Also, CEP has just intorduced a compression sleeve for the ankle / Achilles that contains a silicone insert that wraps around the Achilles. I have had one for a few weeks and it seems to provide some marginal relief.

http://www.cepcompression.com/achilles-brace.php

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
foam roller, heel raising, stretching, a leg massage once a week (can't live without it!!), experimenting with running shoes (and finally arrive at lightweight trainers..), proper insoles for cycling shoes and compression socks for racing..

after excruciating pain and a "walking" marathon, i'm now pain free!!
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [chinawolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chinawolf wrote:
foam roller, heel raising, stretching, a leg massage once a week (can't live without it!!), experimenting with running shoes (and finally arrive at lightweight trainers..), proper insoles for cycling shoes and compression socks for racing..

after excruciating pain and a "walking" marathon, i'm now pain free!!

Heel raises are really not recommended any longer. If you suffer from Achilles issues, you need to do eccentric heel drops, not raises. These should also be done with a weighted backpack. Start with 10 lbs and work your way up.

Raise up on your good leg, switch to your injured leg and lower past horizontal slowly. Count of 1 going up, count fo 3 coming back down. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Personally, I found stretching caused more irritation than it resolved. Self-massage, The Stick and ocasional trip to a massage therapist worked for me. YMMV on this point, however.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, from half a year ago, I followed the doctor's advice and put on compression socks for Achilles Problems. In the beginning, it made me feel very uncomfortable. After a while, I slowly adapted to it and clearly felt the relief of leg pain.
Last edited by: HarHarris: Dec 9, 19 23:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compression sleeves did nothing for me. Then I foam rolled my calves and achilles like a madman for 10 days - problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eccentric loading of the muscle / tendon is the consensus protocol for muscle /tendon injuries. I also found run (jog)-walk very helpful.

Compression sleeves / socks useful when training.

As someone else posted, cep makes a great specific Achilles compression socks.

Stretching is useful - though for prehab, not rehab.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no validated research to support compression when it comes to injury prevention... literally none. So don’t waste your money.

There is also little to no evidence to suggest foam rolling works... and I used to do this myself. More of a placebo.

There is evidence for graduated strength programmes focusing on eccentric loading of the Achilles’ tendon, and also a gradual build up to running again. This will literally be your best bet...
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eccentric heel drops is something I haven't tried- can someone refer to a quality set of instructions or video on how to do them? I had surgery to remove bone spurs on the heel impacting the achilles tendon several years ago, and have to be careful to add distance slowly or soreness/ pain starts to pop up.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go on YouTube and search eccentric heel drop. Plenty of videos show up.

I suffered a terrible
Achilles injury myself and found this helped along with deep tissue massage and graston therapy that my PT did.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [jstep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just add that since bone spurs is mentioned it's worth differentiating between insertional and mid portion issues. With mid portion you might do the classic heel drop over a step and with insertional you might do them on a flat surface. I'm not an expert and the advice you go with should explain both types better than I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Socks or Sleeve for Achilles Problems [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that info! I did see one video that recommended flat surface- my issue is definitely insertional.
Quote Reply