Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling on Mackinac Island
Quote | Reply
This is a stop on a vacation next week, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cycling here (I'm not talking about on the single speeds that they rent out). I was there a few years back, but I wasn't a cyclist then, so I didn't scope it out from that perspective. I know there is a 8 mile loop around the island, and also that you can go interior. I'm not really looking for a hammerfest, but I'd like to keep the pace up a bit, is it possible? I found something on the web that talked about spots where you have to walk your bike down hills, is this very prevalent? I'd like to know if I need to carry some sandals with me or not.

Mostly I'd like to see the island, and I'd like to get some riding in, and I'm just looking for some insight on what to expect. Thanks,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling on Mackinac Island [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can ride around the outer loop pretty well but there are a lot of slow people on bikes, walking and on skates. When you get into town, (near the fort and the fudge shops) there will be a lot of traffic that you cannot ride fast through.

The big hills are on the inner roads and some of them are pretty steep. I don't remember having to walk my bike anywhere.

It's also a lot cooler up there than most would think, I'm from SE Mich so it's a big change for me.

I hope this helps.

jaretj

(This message sent with 100% recycled kilobytes!)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling on Mackinac Island [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is going with me, and she rides a lot less than I do. I'm pretty cool with taking it easy around the island, as she'll probably want to take in the sights. I was hoping for some climbing though. I live in SE Michigan (I ride mostly Grosse Ile), so I know exactly what your talking about. I figure with the climbs, I won't have to reach dangerous speeds to get a workout in, and I don't really care if I can't descend too fast.

You took all your normal gear and road bike?

Thanks for the help,

Jack

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the 8 mile loop there are no big hills. A couple rollers, but nothing major. In fact, I've rollerbladed around the 8 mile loop with no problem. I've also ridden a bike around as well. It depends on how bad traffic happens to be that day, but I certainly wouldn't count on it being a good workout--just too many people.

I do sorta remember the inner roads having a couple climbs, but I don't remember them being very serious. It's been a loooong time since I've been there though. Of course, climbing in MI is all relative. If you're from lower Michigan, freeway overpasses are climbs, but if you're from Up North, climbing is a bit more serious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an 8 mile loop. It is crowded in town and a little crowded on the path. There are some mountain biking trails and dirt roads. There are alot of big hills, not on the path, that are fun to ride. Last time I went I brought my mountain bike, dont think a road bike can be fully utilized. Have fun and have a rum & coke at the Pink Pony.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
HA! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there while in 8th grade. Can't say I ever cycled around the island but I did feel up Lisa Vezeau in the haunted house! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, at the time I took my road bike, 53X39, 12X23 gearing, The climbs are steep but short and you have to go looking for them.

Grosse Ile huh, did they ever fix up west river road? Did Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock ever move in?

I used to ride there a lot in my younger days when my dad still had his boat.

jaretj

(This space intentionally left blank)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling on Mackinac Island [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
West River still sucks. I avoid it like the plague, but the local roadies like to ride it for some reason, so if I'm in one of the groups I have to go over it. I guess it's the closest I'll ever get to cobblestones.

I've yet to see Kid Rock or Pamela Anderson, I guess that was all a rumor. Maybe I should get one of those pink skinsuits from the Lance crashing post in case I'm wronge, and Pam shows up for a group ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

I was there last year and the year before. We had a great time except when we rented the single speed bikes. I was pulling our little son in a trailer and started to drop my wife on the loop around the Island. She said "does everything have to be a &*! #%@!! race for you?" I got the evil eye for a while. The road around the Island is pretty flat and nice pavement. I was thinking it would be great to have my bike to TT around the Island a few times. It was October boths times though so the crowds were thin. I did a run around the Island both times and that was nice. There are a few roads behind the town that climb but very short. Bike rentals are pretty expensive so if you plan to be there for a few days bringing your own makes sense. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the 1/2 marathon there in the fall a few times. It starts on top of the hill and follows an inland route with lots of rolling terrain. I agree with the post that said you'd probably be better off on a mountain bike, but there are still opportunities for a road bike (and certainly no hills to walk up or down or cars to worry about). The hill that takes you up past the fort isn't too bad and there is a paved road/path that continues for a bit. Have fun and for a great end to the season try the 1/2 marathon (much cheaper room rates, good food and probably the toughest 1/2 in Michigan).

John

http://www.bytowntriathlon.com
Quote Reply