Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American TdF stage winners?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

During the OLN broadcast, it was repeated several times that Tyler Hamilton was only the 6th American to have won a stage in the Tour de France...but I count more:

1) Greg LeMond

2) Lance Armstrong

3) Andy Hampsten

4) Davis Phinney

5) Jeff Pierce

6) Tyler Hamilton

7) George Hincapie*

8) Floyd Landis*

9) Jonathan Vaughters*

The only thing I can think is that the last 3 riders won their stage as part of a team time trial...but a stage win is a stage win. It's just been bothering me...

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: American TdF stage winners? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were right on the first six, but George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, nor ) Jonathan Vaughters have won stages in the tour
Quote Reply
Re: American TdF stage winners? [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I belive Alex Stedia won the first day in 86 and got all of the jerseys,seems i remember seeing a photo with all of them around him.

After some checking, he was the first North American to win a stage,seems he was from Canada,i did not know this
Last edited by: randall t: Jul 24, 03 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: American TdF stage winners? [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I belive Alex Stedia won the first day in 86 and got all of the jerseys,seems i remember seeing a photo with all of them around him.

Steida is Canadian.

Whoops, I added this just as you edited yours. :)
Last edited by: 2WheelsGood: Jul 24, 03 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: American TdF stage winners? [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure they have...George Hincapie and Floyd Landis in this year's team time trial, Jonathan Vaughters as part of Credit Agricole's team time trial win last year (or was it the year before).

Hence my comment about Liggett, Sherwen, and Roll perhaps not including team time trial stage wins as individual wins?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TTT isn't counted as an individual stage win. I suppose it could be, for whoever lead his team across the line, but certainly not for the entire team.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team time trials do not count as stage wins. It doesnt matter if whoever leads the team across the line or even finishes by himself. If Lance had not won the other day and did not win another stage and wins the tour he would have gone down as one of the few TDF winners to not win a stage in a year they won the tour
Quote Reply
Re: American TdF stage winners? [Jerry in PA and Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification. I had just assumed that since the three were not dropped during their TTT, and crossed the line with the winning time, that they could be counted as stage winners. I suppose the results would just indicate the team as the stage winner.

Fair enough...still have the utmost respect for their efforts though.

Can't wait until Saturday...what a race this year!

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're on the subject, don't forget that Bobby Julich was on CA's wining TTT team in 2001 along with Vaughters. They actually waited for Julich after he flatted.
Quote Reply