Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thinking Body, Dancing Mind...Visualizations
Quote | Reply
I am close to finishing this book, and wanted to see what other have done to incorporate the techniques explained. here is what I am (and will be) doing:

- Read through the book
- Re-read the book in more closely, begininng to practice the methods and visualizations.

So here is my question: once you get the Deep Abdominal Breathing (DAB) down well, and you start visualizing things, where do you start? Each chapter has at least one...sometimes two or three...visualizations. Do you focus on your weak areas? More than one at a time?

My issue is that I am not sure which visualization to begin with, because so many relate to things I need to really focus and work on.

And once you completed these things, did you find these things did work for you? My guess is a definite yes.

Also, what time of day do most of you do this - in the AM or evening?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking Body, Dancing Mind...Visualizations [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this question can be answered with random babbling.

-Less time visualizing, more time training.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking Body, Dancing Mind...Visualizations [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Hey great book - glad to hear you're enjoying it. I did more mental preparation and visulatization when I was running in college. My favorite book on the topic is The Competitive Edge by Richard Elliot. It used to be available through the trackandfieldnews.com store, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Jerry Lynch also has some other books out there as well as TBDM.

As you stated, there are lots of examples in the book regarding visualization. I think you just need to pick a few that you think you'll be able to accomplish and work on those first. Try visualizing as if you're watching yourself in a movie, then try visualizing that you are the participate. Find which way works best for you. As you gain more experience, expand to new examples.

In college, I mainly focused on staying relaxed during hard workouts and races, having a cue word really helped with that. I was able to hang with teammates that I never could before and as a result my confidence and positive attitude grew and I set PRs. At least until I got injured.

I still try to do DAB a couple of times a week, prior to going to bed. I'll also visualize different aspects of my upcoming races. If I fall asleep, that's fine. I don't force myself to stay awake.

Good luck,

Zeke
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking Body, Dancing Mind...Visualizations [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, gopher. really appreciate your help. If you don't agree with this stuff, don't respond, okay? Mind your business, and keep quiet.
Quote Reply