Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greg Lemond, 5 time winner of TDF???
Quote | Reply
Do you guys think if Lemond never got shot in a hunting accident that he would have won the 2 TDF's in '87 and '88 to make him a 5 time winner?
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Lemond, 5 time winner of TDF??? [JamesO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it's reckless speculation to even guess, but I'd say absolutely yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Lemond, 5 time winner of TDF??? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he had been on a team that would allowed him to win the year he was ahead of Hinaullt in 85 and not gotten shot he might have won six times
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Lemond, 5 time winner of TDF??? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with every word of Eric's post, as well as the speculation that he could have even won six. Of course there was his problem (similar to the old Ullrich) of being somewhat lazy in the offseason. I certainly think he would have beaten Roche and Delgado if he had shown up in shape. And who's to say that without the effects of the hunting accident that he might not have beaten Indurain in 91. But I still reckon he was just out of form that year and not yet debilitated as was claimed. Did he have the talent to win 5 or 6? Hell yes. But he didn't. Circumstances and his own preparation produced other results. Its fun to speculate anyway. Anybody have takers on Merckx with 6, 7 or even 8 without the crash and skipping a year? Might as well go big while we're talking fantasyland here.
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Lemond, 5 time winner of TDF??? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speculation is oh so fun, ain't it? :) I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that Hinault was very close to winning 6. I believe that in '86 if he and Lemond would have been on different teams, Hinault just may have won. I know that in the beginning of the Tour, Hinault wasn't helping Lemond at all, but I do believe that team politics eventually made him make good on his promise to help Lemond.

I thought Merckx getting punched in the stomach by that fan is what supposedly ended his reign. I've also heard it was the hour record that ruined him for the rest of his career. Who knows. History is already written, and another chapter will be inked on Saturday. :)
Quote Reply