Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart rate going nowhere
Quote | Reply
No matter what I do, my heart rate just isn't getting nearly as high as it did just a year ago. The max I saw in 2002 was 191 (during a hot, hard indoor trainer session). Today, I did a 200yd swim in 2:19 after some 100s on 1:20, and my heart rate was 140. Two days ago, I did a two mile run in 11:38 and my heart rate was about 160. Yesterday, I did a climb on the bike trying to get my HR as high as possible: 162 after three minutes. In the last couple of months, I did see about 172 during a bike race (just before I blew up). For reference, in 2002 I averaged about 171bpm for a 40K TT.

I'm 45, and have been primarily cycling for the last few years, just returning to running in the fall (max about 20 miles/week), and swimming this spring (max about 1500yds/day, 2-3 days/week).

Could I be terminally under-recovered? I'm running pretty fast (for me), and my swimming is coming back somewhat. I never feel "winded"; could my cardiovascular system be far outperforming my muscles?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Lehner
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate going nowhere [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a few thoughts

You could be overtrained

Your heart rate monitor may not be working properly

You fitness could have improved since 2002
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate going nowhere [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overtrained? Doesn't seem like it. My resting heart rate has slowly dropped down this year to about 40, and I'm getting faster on the run and the swim.

As for my heart monitor not working properly, I use the finger on the neck method on the run and swim. I think I can still multiply correctly.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if my thoughts are the only answers then I would say that your fitness has improved especially since your resting heart rate has become lower also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Overtrained? Doesn't seem like it."

It seems a little odd to ask whether you might be terminally under-recovered, and then balk at the idea of overtraining. Perhaps I'm not sufficiently attuned to the difference between the two.

How about checking your max rate immediately after your rest week. Or after purposely take a good chunk of days off. In other words, make sure you're recovered first. If the pulse refuses to go any higher then than it does now, I would think you're not exceeding your limits. Better to invest a few days and be secure in the knowledge that you're within your limits, than to risk pushing at a level you'll regret.
Quote Reply