Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run?
Quote | Reply
For various reasons, it might be most easiest for me to run to work and back one day a week.
Each way is 5 miles.
Would this provide a similar training effect as doing one 10mi mid-week run?

(in the context of marathon training with a long run on the weekend, this is like a mid week mid-length run)
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
For various reasons, it might be most easiest for me to run to work and back one day a week.
Each way is 5 miles.
Would this provide a similar training effect as doing one 10mi mid-week run?

(in the context of marathon training with a long run on the weekend, this is like a mid week mid-length run)
No because it is not a continuous run.

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The benefit of a midweek 10 mile run is likely just mileage, so it actually pretty similar.

If you can do 2 x 6 miles or 5 miles in, 7 miles home, then you're getting closer. I'd do 5 miles in 7 miles home if were in that situation.

Now if that 10 mile run had some tempo at the end etc, then 2 runs wouldn't be all that similar.

but 2 x 5 is better than nothing or only 1 x 5 or 1 x 7 etc..if that's the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this all the time in marathon training. Just make sure you have another long run that is continuous mixed in once a week too.

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
No because it is not a continuous run.

Strictly speaking they are not the same thing, but if you mean that the training benefits are less, I completely disagree. In fact, the training benefits might be better; read the above running world article, and I would argue:

the training load is the same: you spend 10 miles running that day.
your body doesn't "recover" in the 8 or 10 hours separating the runs, so you are still physiologically training the body in a similar fashion.
because the runs are shorter, I would say that is easier to mentally focus on good running form the entire 5 miles.

I do this too- I commute run, and I personally find it's great:

My muscles feel "looser" during the day
Keeps the metabolism going
Sometimes the morning run feels like shit, and the evening run I feel awesome; the ability to mentally tough it out during the crappy parts, knowing that things might feel better later is EXACTLY the kind of mental strength to be acquainted with during marathons or longer.

Plus you save on gas and are commuting in the most primal way- on foot!
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
your body doesn't "recover" in the 8 or 10 hours separating the runs,

I disagree. Some recovery happens during those hours. Two easy five mile runs separated by 8-10h is less stressful than one 10 mi run due to the time between them. This is why Mondays in a lot of the high-mileage training schedules in Advanced Marathoning are 6 mi Am, 4 mi PM rather than 10 miles all at once. Same mileage, more recovery. (I think we agree on everything from the second sentence on).

This has been asked a lot on the main forum - the OP might search.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 3, 11 1:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had way better luck with splitting up my long run in to two on the same day. I find that I get better quality run training and have less injuries. I split up all my long runs this year when I was training for IMCDA and for the 1st time did not have plantar fascia or and lower leg issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to go over to the dark side and put this on the Tri forum. I think you will get a lot of good posts on this subject.

My .02, like other posted it not going to take the place of a long run but still some good training there.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Nov 13, 11 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't consider them to be equal. Intensity will play a role in training adaptation at such short distances. I would suggest you do the last 2 miles of each run at Tempo pace, the rest at your maintenance pace. If you are not well conditioned, then skip the tempo on the first run, but do the last 3 miles at the end of the day @ T pace. This split effort/split intensity is one I use often when my schedule does not allow for a long run on my long run day.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. People place too much value on the length of individual runs and not enough on total volume. There's a reason most elites run 2x daily. Yes, you need long runs, but in reality, they're probably third in the priority list for successful distance running.
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
x2. People place too much value on the length of individual runs and not enough on total volume. There's a reason most elites run 2x daily. Yes, you need long runs, but in reality, they're probably third in the priority list for successful distance running.

Just curious. What's one and two. Volume and speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Two 5mi runs in one day = one 10mi run? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Total weekly volume is by far and away the most important. Probably hit some diminishing returns on just volume at 50-60 mpw. Until that point, though, getting faster is a pretty easy formula.
2) Appropriate speed work is number 2. Appropriate is the key word. Need to think about the distance of race you're thinking about. Shorter the distance, we're talking about faster work.
3) then you get to long runs. I pr'd in New York this year (2:49) even though I only got in two 20-milers. And those were "crammed" due to an injury that affected my training in August (September was a build back month). Until August, I ran 50-70 mpw, though with very few long runs (maybe one 14 miler in July and a half marathon in March). It's amazing how easily running "scales up" if you have a good base of day-in and day-out running. If you can run 7-10 miles day after day (even if some of those runs are broken up), it's just not that hard to get to 20.
Quote Reply