Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sleep advice? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how old you are but your story sounds identical to mine. I'm 47 but in full menopause and found that the symptoms seem to have started during perimenopause. Getting on bio-identical hormone cream has helped. Also you may want to have your thyroid and adrenal activity checked. Just suggestions. I feel for you because I know just how life altering it is and how frustrated you get when you wake up and can't get back to sleep. BTW I also tossed and turned like a gymnast. I just ordered a Temper=pedic so I'll report back after a while and let you know if that helped. Best of luck. T
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep advice? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the hint about the lemon balm. I am going to look for some of that.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch MSNBC late night...It will put you FAST asleep in no time! Works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep advice? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
My daughter has lots of trouble falling asleep, so we've been to a sleep clinic recently. They suggest the following (most of which is common knowledge):

- have a sleep routine that you do every night so your body knows you're getting ready for bed
- keep the lights low at night
- don't work or watch TV in your bedroom - you should only be sleeping and having sex in bed
- when you are trying to fall asleep, don't keep looking at the clock and counting the hours until you wake up - that only activates your brain and stresses you out; make sure you can't see a clock from your sleeping position
- if you don't fall asleep right away, get up. if you lie in bed awake for hours, then you are just reinforcing that behavior. Get up and do something - write out a list of to-dos, do a puzzle, read. After a bit of time, go back to bed and try to fall asleep again.
- go to bed and wake up within an hour of the same time every day of the week - this one is one of the most important items
- make sure you have a good mattress

You didn't mention why you can't fall asleep again. Are you physically uncomfortable? Is your head going through the 100 things you have to do the next day?

You must be one of the coolest moms around! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep advice? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT - I mostly can't get back to sleep because I'm physically uncomfortable. I'm not usually thinking about the 100s of things I have to do the next day or whatnot... although sometimes I have a dumb song stuck in my head.

I do think it's stress related. However, I'm not sure what exactly is getting to me. I'm doing well at my job and it's going well, and my monthly reviews are all going well. They are very happy with me, apparently.

The only thing I can think of is that since I'm still learning, maybe that's stressful? I'm going to have to keep probing and reflecting. Right now the only good sleep I'm getting is from Fri. night to Sat., when I just sleep as long as I need to. Lately it's been 9-11 hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with a similar issue. I wake up about every 90 minutes. Falling a sleep the first time round is usually the easiest. After that I find it a lot more difficult.

I've been dealing with this for years and what I've noticed is that a great night sleep actually means the next night will be a total disaster.

Maybe all those extra hours you're getting Friday/Saturday night is screwing up your sleep the rest of the week. Maybe allow a little extra sleep on the weekend, but not hours per night more.

One thing that I find really makes a difference is having the room the right temp. Some times I think it's fine, but just a degree too warm and I just can't sleep. I actually can't believe what a princess I have become when it comes to sleeping (has to be very dark, cool, I absolutely have to wear ear plugs, can't have any sound, hard mattress, blah, blah, blah...I have to laugh).

Did you get the new mattress? Has it helped at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep advice? [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually don't feel like I have the money in the budget for a new mattress right now. Maybe if I get a "new salary" or "raise" after the end of July. I probably do need a new mattress, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also like to thank you for starting this thread. I have come to accept my nightly awakenings as normal... Sometimes I sleep through, sometimes I don't. But this thread has started me thinking if I should address this problem.

I am almost 46. My sleep problems have actually gone on for a few years. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I immediately begin sweating and need to throw off the covers. I do not begin sweating until shortly after I wake up, so is this "night sweats?" After I have finished sweating and I have cooled down, I throw the covers back on and continue sleeping. I think I have been having this problem for years and years... I am a furnace in the mornings and cold when I go to bed at night.

I don't drink alcohol or coffee. I am one of those people who can fall asleep in minutes (except in the middle of the night, due to the sweating problem).

Then, during the day, I would alternate hot and cold. Reading some forums, I went out to buy black cohosh, but I found it completely ineffective. Soon after I gave up on black cohosh, my daytime hot/cold problem disappeared. A week ago, it has reappeared.

My periods are still completely regular, like clockwork. Does anyone else have this sweating problem, not waking up from sweat, feeling comfortable when awakened, but my furnace kicks in and I start sweating after waking up?
Last edited by: karencoutts: Jan 16, 12 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep advice? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have somewhat similar issues with body temp swings.

I go through phases with it and have assumed it's part of getting older (I'm 44) and haven't really looked into doing anything about it. I would be curious to know if others have found a natural way to alleviate it a little.
Quote Reply

Prev Next