Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter Biking Gear!
Quote | Reply
Hey! Appreciated the running gear advice and thought I would ask for biking tights for winter. Have looked at the Sugoi winter tights and the Pearl Izumi thermal tights but just wondering if anyone has a) bought either of these or b) has any other suggestions? My shorts are starting to get a little chilly and my capris are seeming to get a little thin in the butt!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Biking Gear! [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have some Pearl Izumi windfronts that I've used for years. Added some Hincapie bibtights with windfront last year and really like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my reg biking shorts and running tights...never tried specific winter biking tights---if you have, are they so much better I don't know what I am missing?
also, toe covers/boots and good gloves important too
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Biking Gear! [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the windproof fabrics they use on the front of the tights can be a huge asset as it gets colder - i have a set of wind/waterproof bib tights i got for a ridiculous price (i think $25) from probikekit that are my go-to piece for serious cold weather, especially if it'll be wet or snowy.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Take a look at the main forum:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nter%20gear;#3568115

I don't think there is anything women-specific with winter cycling clothing except for the greater need for really good gloves.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sort of weather do you have to deal with? I live in Vancouver where it doesn't get that cold but it is WET (like today...). I used to work at Sugoi so I've had the chance to try pretty much everything they make. I have a pair of windproof bibtights (firewall 220) but they are overkill for Vancouver weather and I just get sweaty. Also they only come in men's sizes, so you need narrow hips ;). They make a "midzero bibtight" which is perfect for me - the only windproof panels are over the knees and stomach. The downside is that they are expensive and you have to wash them everytime you ride. So for the most part I stick to wearing their midzero and subzero running tights over regular shorts, with the added bonus that I can wear the tights running too!

I also love, love, LOVE the Sugoi RS Zero jacket, and it looks really nice on (I wear it to work sometimes as a regular jacket and get compliments). It's windproof and cozy, but only somewhat water resistant.

I also recently bought a Pearl Izumi windproof baselayer, and I am smitten! Merino wool baselayers are wonderful as well, and well worth the money.They're light, warm, comfortable, wicking and naturally control odor. There's definitely a good reason for the merino wool craze (or is that just a west coast hippie thing?).

Personally, extremities are the worst for me. I wear XC ski mittens so my fingers can keep each other warm (it doesn't affect shifting as much as I thought), a solid pair of booties over my shoes (Sugoi Firewall) and Seal Skinz waterproof kayaking socks or smart wool woolies.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Biking Gear! [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Windy and damp. The kind of cold that chills to the bones but makes you sweat if you have too much on! Will look at the other thread. I found a pair of Nike wind blocking pants yesterday that look good for running and kind of hoping they'll be good for biking too.

Will check out the windproof base layers!
Quote Reply