Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pursuit Athletic Performance Gait Analysis Review
Quote | Reply
I decided to respectfully disagree with most of the advice in this thread and ignore it. Since when has "ignore form, just do lots of volume and work really hard" been good advice, in any discipline?

So I went to Pursuit Athletic Performance today to get advice on my running form, and in my opinion it was excellent. Mildly depressing because there are no quick-fixes, but I feel it was worth every penny. Of course, the real proof of that will be 6-12 months from now when I see if there have been any significant changes in my run form.

THE EXPERIENCE

It wasn't as much a "gait analysis" but more of a "posture analysis". Their conclusions are not simple changes to running style (which they admit are often useless), but instead are essentially physical therapy / rehabilitation to permanently change my day-to-day posture.

MY PROBLEM

I have problems with my posture that are wreaking havoc on my run.

1) My mid-upper back is arched slightly forward and is not flexible (reinforced by slumping at a computer all day)
2) My lower back is arched too much the other way
3) My hip-flexors (front of hips) are tight (reinforced by sitting all day)
4) My pelvis is tipped forward, rather than in a neutral position.

This is bad when running because you end up using muscles to compensate for your misaligned pelvis. It doesn't take long before these muscles are exhausted and your form starts to go to sh*t. (This is exactly what happens to me). It also means that if you take the "just run a lot" philosophy, it probably won't take long before I get some kind of injury, because many muscles are doing things they weren't designed to.

THE SOLUTION

Ironically, they actually gave me essentially zero "running advice", despite a long list of things I do wrong (ie, heal striking despite thinking I didn't). Their analogy was, "Thinking about your running form at this point would be like painting the shutters on a house that's been eaten to termites and is about to fall over". In fact, they recommended that I stop running for a few weeks, because I might as well let my body "forget" my current form. (SIDE NOTE: Just to set the background, I'm not some kind of hunchback mutant who can't even walk. My issues are only "moderate", and my last olympic tri was sub 2:15. The idea is that all issues should be addressed from the core.)

Instead, I've been given stretching and strengthening exercises that are intended to permanently change my day-to-day posture. If I can manage to make this posture unconscious and second nature, it will automatically and unconsciously translate to my running.

My PT is focusing on three primary areas:

1) Reduce the forward arch in my upper back
2) Reduce the forward tilt in my pelvis, and learn how to maintain a neutral pelvis at all times in my daily life
3) Strengthen my hip muscles that provide lateral support

Some of the stretches exercises are to be done done hourly (yes, every HOUR).

BOTTOM LINE

They claim that if you do the prescribed exercises you can indeed permanently change your posture for the better, and these changes automatically translate to improvements in your running form.

I'd recommend their service not only to those who have injuries, but for anyone who struggles with running, and in particular who struggle to maintain your form over long distances.

BUT LOTS OF FANCY ADVICE DOESN'T PROVE YOU CAN CHANGE

I agree, we'll have to see. But it makes sense to me that if there's any hope of actually changing my run, this would be it. Maybe 6 months from now I'll post before-and-after photos from the run video screen shots.
Last edited by: matto: Sep 15, 11 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Pursuit Athletic Performance Gait Analysis Review [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump for a good review, thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Re: Pursuit Athletic Performance Gait Analysis Review [bradl016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also went to Pursuit Athletic Performance for analysis. For me, it was to try and discover what imbalances had led to a knee injury and subsequent surgery. My analysis revealed I also had some postural issues and lack of "functional core strength".
That was in early June. I came home with a series of stretches and core work ( read here: NO crunches). The difference is my strength, fatigability, and overall form is unbelievable!! This is without me focusing one bit on "running form" Not to mention that my core looks rock hard :)
Kurt & Al are worth their weight in gold. I traveled from the deep South to get evaluated and it was worth every penny.
Best of luck with your progress!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the same guys, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The benefits of going through the program go far beyond running but have been beneficial in all sports.

With regards to running specifically, I suffered from repeat over-use injuries, and was tired of routine physical therapy which did nothing "permanent" for me. Frankly, I was pretty much ready to just give up running, but then a friend suggested I visit these guys, and I thought, "why not, one last try".

Man, oh man! What an amazing program and what a fantastic result! A complete transformation of how my body runs - it truly is a whole-body run! The results are what they said they would be. I am faster - I have easily taken 2 minutes/mile off my long distance pace (I am working on rebuilding my endurance at this point) and 4 minutes off my single mile pace!!!!! - and injury free as well. Note: the coach there has recommended I back off the faster pace for now because I am still not where I fully need to be and might risk injury. Ok, these guys know what they are doing, so I am heeding his advice.

I fully recommend this program!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old thread here...

Is video/remote gait analysis worth it?

After several years of making progress with my running I basically got nowhere all last year. It started with an Achilles problem in Dec 2019 but I've also had off-and-on ITB and calf issues. My PT recommended getting gait analysis, said he'd heard good things about Pursuit Athletic Performance, and I found this old thread.

Turns out Pursuit Athletic Performance isn't local to me anymore. Instead the guy does virtual gait analysis now. Seems pricey.

I haven't had gait analysis before since running has generally gone fine for 15+ years. Is gait analysis worth it? Or does most of it boil down to strengthen your hips/glutes and make sure your hip flexors are loose?
Quote Reply