Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carry-on wheels??
Quote | Reply
I'm flying with my bike at the end of the week, but this time I plan to bring along two sets of wheels. I have no problem getting 3 (spoked) wheels packed in with my bike, but I'm concerned about adding a disc in there too. Things would start to get crowded and I worry about the disc getting damaged. Do you guys think I'd be able to carry the disc onto the plane in a wheel bag? I know the best answer would be to travel with a hard shell wheel case, but I've got enough stuff as it as and don't want to drop the cash. Whaddya think??

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on wheels?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent 2 years travelling weekly for work. Although I did not take my bike along with me during all those flights, I gained a pretty good understanding of what you can and cannot carry on. The longest allowable piece of luggage to carry on is only about 22 inches long. Check your wheel, But I am guessing that it is a bit longer/higher than that.

If you are flying first class, you may be able to get it on and into the "coat closet" larger planes have. If you have to connect on a regional jet in any way, forget about carrying anything on as most of those planes only have room for a briefcase size carry on. They don't even have space for the standard carry ons.

Hope this helps.

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on wheels?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm...I have often thought about trying this too. I don't know, but would like to hear the outcome if you do. I always rationalized that it would not fit through the xray machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on wheels?? [dts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing about the X-Ray machine. Luckily I'm flying business and first the whole way (thank you frequent flyer miles!!) so I'd probably get a good shot at good storage spaces. I'd just hate to arrive in Switzerland with a damaged wheel. I guess as a fallback plan I ought to be prepared to race on clinchers and my training wheelset.
Quote Reply