Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to wear for a rainy 40 degree marathon?
Quote | Reply
I am running what will be a very cold and rainy marathon tomorrow. Does anyone have a suggestions for gear?

thanks

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for a rainy 40 degree marathon? [super clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a marathon in similar conditions, and wore too little and paid the price. I would wear a tank top/sleeveless running top, over which I would put the lightest comfiest longsleeve possible - I love the polartech long sleeves from MEC for this. Light toque and gloves - I like the ones rom Sugoi. Or a brimmed hat, if you hate the rain in your face. If it's going to be windy, I'd probably add a light vest. Wait, no I wouldn't , I don't find them that confy...

I did this for mara #1, which was about 7degC but not rainy and was very comfy, took the ls shirt off for last 10k. I skipped the ls shirt and gloves for mara #2, same temp but windy and rainy, and paid the price dearly. Very miserable 2nd half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure you lube up well, especially the nips or you will have to change your name to nipless super clyde.

I would wear tights, short sleeve and long sleeve moisture wicking shirt like Under Armour, vest, hat, and waterproof gloves. Stay out of deep puddles if possible.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a couple cold wet marathons and they are difficult to dress for. On top of suggestions already made, keeping dry and warm while waiting to start helps. Wearing a garbage bag over an old sweat shirt prior to the start helps to keep you warm and dry so you don't start already chilled. I did one marathon where I wasn't warm enough prior to the start and got a hamstring cramp about 1K into the race.

I prefer running in tri shorts for wet marathons (Sugio power short or De Soto's). I get less shaffing than with running shorts. In the rain running tights get soaked from splashing so get cold if there's wind too. I actually found shorts keep me dryest and warmest.

For the upper body, make sure it's a good wicking fabric because you will probably get soaked through. Again, a lot of the tri stuff is designed to be worn wet.

A cap helps keep it more pleasant. I did one in Victoria with the rain and wind off the ocean and no cap. The last 10K sucked.

I found once you get going, it isn't too bad. It's when I stop after the finish that I get really cold. I ran Vancouver one year in horrible weather and had a really hard time warming up after the finish. A quick cab back to the hotel and a long hot shower finally got rid of the chills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"make sure you lube up well, especially the nips"

Or bandaides or medical tape: If it really pours there will be chafing. And even the lightest trainers will soak up water like a sponge, so blisters will be common: If you're prepared you'll still have fun. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a job for tri-shorts and the tight version of the under-armor shirts...I would wear my Pearl Izumi tri-shorts, tight fitting under-armor shirt (as opposed to the loose fitting models which would rub wet fabric on your cold-hardened nipples for 26 miles)...and probably a running singlet over the shirt. Lube up liberally under the clothing on your inner legs, underarm/lat region, and still tape your nips. Wear a hat. If you can find them between now and the race...a pair of thin amphib waterproof gloves will be key... Use the thinnest socks you are used to running in to minimize the amount of water held inside your shoes...I've tried lubing my feet a bit in these sorts of conditions...it didn't really do anything...the best thing you can do for your feet is minimize the amount of water your shoes and socks retain...but stick with what you are used to wearing...so-called water-proof socks are a no-no...they don't release sweat fast enough to prevent build-up inside...which would be worse than simply rain-soaked socks and shoes...trust me...tried it.

I don't normally like the tight fitting shirts that are becoming popular, but this is one instance where keeping the fabric from sliding too much over your skin is a plus. Loose shirts and running shorts are a recipe for bloody wet rashes in this type of weather.

If it is going to be really windy...THIN tights (not the thick ones you use for winter cycling) might be an option for your legs...40 deg isn't bad if there is no wind...but if the wind is more than about 10mph...you'll want to try and retain some heat in your knee region

Absolutely NO cotton clothing. You'll pay for it if you do.

I've done 55 marathons now, in all sorts of conditions and gear...this is what I'd wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Singlet, shorts, socks and shoes...hat and gloves are optional.

Wear a throwaway long sleve the first few miles until you get warmed up.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tricky temp further complicated by the rain/wet. It will seem colder than it really is.

Some form of longsleeve top that is light and wicks moisture is key. I wouls suggest a singlet over or under this. A thin touque and gloves as well. Both the touque and glose can be taken off or put back on as your situation changes.

The legs are a tough call. That's borderline for tights for me. If you go with shorts, be sure to give your legs a good rub with vasoline. This will help keep them a little warmer.

At the start and for the first few miles, wear an old sweat-shirt and start the race with that on. Toss it as you warm up, and before you start to really sweat.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply