Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Marathon training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first would be a training run, the second would be the "race". I figure if I am going to be running the distance, I might as well see how fast people are going - and how slow I am compared to them!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on your recoverability. I ran 2 marathons in two weeks. And I was actually faster in my 2nd. I wasn't racing the second one either- just did it for fun. My coach says because I am a symmetrical runner- I rarely get injured. I only ran 1- 5 mile run between the 2. so- I think it's possible, it just depends on you.
Good luck!

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can totally do a marathon in 6 months! I did my first using the Hal Higdon plan and I trained for it in the 20 weeks he gives, sticking to the plan. The next year I did 4 marathons and PR'd at 3:30. I was 37--not a youngin' and I've never been injured.
If you train for each long run like it's your marathon it will help you prepare and NOT hit the wall. Marathon is 75% mental on that day. Join Hal's forum and that will help too. You can do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running is kind of a slippery slope, because it is easy to get injured if you push yourself too far too fast. I didn't follow a plan when I ran my first half marathon. Mostly because all the free plans out their are more for the experienced runner than the inexperienced runner. It is best to have at least 3 year of competitive running before attempting a half marathon. And then I would say it should take about 4 - 6 months to build up to running 50K a week, with at least one long run of 16K. I will admit that I worked up to a 20K run and ran 50K a week for four months before running my first half marathon. I had a bit of a difficult recovery but it seemed ok after a couple of months. Another thing is that I don't recommend running a marathon if you are over 20% BF. It is difficult to run that far carrying a lot of extra body weight. If you are over that, I would stick to 5Ks and 10Ks, it is just easier on the body.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training [tri_a_lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been training for my half, no problems so far, body is good - never been a 'runner" but have done numerous sports so think my body is handling is well. I am amazed how how fast my body recovers with compression tights - can head for a long run (16k), wear them, shower, put on a new pair for the day, sleep in them and have zero muscle pain the next day - best piece of advice I've learned was to were compression tights to bed!

Interesting to see all the advice that varies so much! Have to say, the running for three years and less than 20% body fat rather shocked me. I'm about 22% and now way in heck could I get down to 20 - unless I gave up my weekly beer which I wouldn't do! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I ran my first half marathon when I was 15% BF. I tried doing a marathon before at over 20% and I found it too difficult. It really depends on your body composition. For example if you are really muscular, losing the body fat is a good way to drop weight and just make it easier to run, far and fast. Some elite marathon runners race at below 10% BF which is really unhealthy for a women. 22% is just fine, if you can do it at that. Its better to have a higher BF than a low one, from a "healthy" perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training [tri_a_lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong, I would love to drop the extra fat - on my legs and butt for the most part - but I don't think it will happen. I also don't have a long distance runners body - very muscular all over and have quads and calves that make some men cry. I've had a few comments from distance runners that I'll have a hard time as my legs will be heavy. I don't train my legs at the gym but... with the running, they tend to gain muscle - and lose a tiny but of fat but not enough to change my percentage all that much.

Thanks for the advice. Thinking about giving up alcohol in the NY so perhaps that will help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving up alcohol will make a huge difference! All empty calories, and most people tend to snack more when drinking. When I want to drop some weight, it's the first type of calories that I cut.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice. I decided to do a half and finished my first today. Not a "fast" time (2:02) but considering this time last year I was in physio for my ankles and unable to run 1k, am pretty happy. Have to say, mentally, it kicked my butt. I nearly gave up at the 18k mark (and to be honest, the 16k mark too!) but managed to finish it out. Swore and cursed I would never do another one again during the race but now that I am done... ;) I want a better time.

Thanks for all the help!
Quote Reply

Prev Next