Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ammonia production when running
Quote | Reply
In my training runs, I often notice the smell of ammonia, either while I am running or afterwards when I'm cleaning up. I'm assuming I'm producing it as my body burns something for energy for the workout. I notice it more on long training runs, particularly in hard efforts or hot weather, but I don't notice it when racing. I've read that you can produce ammonia if you don't have enough carbs -- I guess that fits my pattern, because in races I'll load up on carbs and gels, where I might be more casual about nutrition on training runs.

Can anyone explain the chemistry? What exactly am I burning to produce ammonia, and am I sweating it out or breathing it out or what? Am I counteracting the benefits of training by working so hard that I'm burning off something I shouldn't be? Is there any benefit to training in "carbo-deficit" so my body will learn to find carbs and fats instead of burning whatever it is I'm burning to produce ammonia?

Thanks!
Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia production when running [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not positive, but I believe that's the smell of protien buring. Are you really lean? I think your call of eating more carbs and fats is a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia production when running [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is an extract from http://www.hammernutrition.com/.../fuelinghandbook.pdf

"Too much protein fills the blood with too many amino acids. These excess amino acids are converted into carbon dioxide, water, ammonia. It is the ammonia that is toxic to the body and is a the primary cause of premature fatique. While the body is equipped to handle excess ammonia by converting it to urea and filtering it through the kidneys, too much puts a burden on the kidneys."

Further in the same document they talk about whey protein being more likely to produce ammonia if consumed before or during excercise. Where as soy protein is less likely to produce ammonia, and is therefore the protein of choice pre and during workouts.

FWIW

put the mettle to the pedal
Last edited by: brettc: Jul 14, 03 10:03
Quote Reply