Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can Someone Tell Me What It Takes??
Quote | Reply
To become one of these psycho fast guys? Did the Muncie Half Ironman this weekend. Had about 10 minutes of tire problems and finished with around a 5 hour flat time, costing me a 4:45 time instead. Even with a 4:45 time I would of been 20 minutes off the fastest guys in the 30-34 age group. Granted, my background about 4 years ago would be a 2 pack a day malborough man that weighed in at 6'3" a nice round 260 pounds. So I am still fairly new to the sport i suppose. I am down to about 175-180 so my weight is under control. What do these guys do to get that fast I suppose is my main question? I want to get there but not sure how to go about it. PELASE DONT MENTION A COACH:) My Tri budget is beyond toast for the time being.

I put in about 12 to 15 hours a week, for three weeks, then one week where I cut back to 6-8 hours and rest. What do these freaky fast guys do?

To put it inperspective, I raced a local sprint a couple weeks ago in Warsaw, IN. The distance was 0.25 swim/13.5 bike/3 run. My times were approximately 6:30 swim/34 bike/18:30 run. Finished around 1:03, ended up winning the 30-34 age group. But only because the fast guys got yanked out for the overall. THERE TIMES WERE 57:40 and 58 flat!!! I am 5-6 minutes away from those guys just in an hour race!!

Any advice on how to get there? Time is not a huge issue, neither is the drive to work hard. Thoughts from you fast freaks? How do I get over the hump?

I put up the race results with a bunch of Pictures from Muncie on my website: www.michiganoutlaws.com follow the links for the Muncie Race Report.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Can Someone Tell Me What It Takes?? [Ken in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I won't mention a coach... But it's good to know that you know the answer to your question! ;-)

Seriously though, the two major factors in success in endurance sports are:

- Genetic makeup

- Years of training

I have no way of knowing your genetic potential for this sport, but it looks like you lack a bit on the years of training. Also having a couch potato life before this "new" life doesn't help much.

So my advice to you is be patient, keep plugging away and... oh, that's right, you asked not to mention it... ;-)

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can Someone Tell Me What It Takes?? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. at least I know where you get the smartass part of your moniker:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that you have an intelligent training plan, are sticking to it, and have no major existing shortcomings to work on, you will be limited by how quickly your body can adapt to the training you are doing. Among other things you need to grow new capillaries, increase your blood volume, develop your slow-twitch muscle fibers, and increase your biomechanical efficiency in each sport.

How long does it take to make these physiological adaptations? I have heard it takes 10 years of training to reach your personal potential in a sport.

The fast guys you are measuring yourself against have probably been at it a long while. Even the fast kids probably have been on the swim team for the past 10 years or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim time jumps out at me for the sprint tri. You're probably giving two minutes to the sharks right there.

With your age and gender, if you can hook up with a good (ex-college folks, and former serious USS swimmers) swim group in the off season and really learn to buy into the swimmers mentality for a time, you're got a reasonable chance of bringing down the swim time from 6:30 to something in the low 5s all the while keeping the heart rate at a reasonable level on race day.

I was poking around with the swim workouts on the site. There's a place for form and technique work, but there's also a place for throwing in some really hard swim sets where you're not sure if you're going to make it through them, and you're dealing with significant fatigue, and are forced to kind of triage your stroke and figure out what are the very basic things you absolutely must do to keep moving forward at a fairly quick pace when you're getting quite tired. Physically, that sort of thing can be a kick start to improving swim speed and endurance. And mentally, the fish out there that have been through Hell Week/Coach's Birthday Set/New Year's Eve Set have the mental edge because after going through that experience, it's hard to get your heart rate up worrying about a piddly rough surf mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go out and get yourself some better parents!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm convinced that, as somebody else said, it has a lot to do with time spent doing these things. i grew up a swimmer, swimming with the really fast boys who went to olympic trials, but really just swallowing their wake. but spending 4 or 5 hours a day swallowing their wake, thinking my lungs were going to collapse did something for me that you just can't pick up in two years in your mid-30s. now that i'm in triathlon, i'm playing catch-up in running and cycling. i still struggle to hold above 23 mph. but i do realize that last year i struggled to hold 20 for a 40k. give it some time, keep at it. i respect you a lot for kicking the smoking and getting into something like this. that's got to be a tough lifestyle change. keep it up.
Quote Reply