Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill Favorites
Quote | Reply
Wondering what the collective wisdom was on the 'best' treadmill for home use. I have read good things about the star trac treadmills, but I really can't tell any difference between the ones I have used at the local gym. Looking for something reliable, w/ a nice padded surface. I am not really interested in all the bells and whistles (ie fan, radio, personalized workouts, etc.), would rather save my $$ for a computrainer :). Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not cheap, but the True Fitness treadmills have been rated #1 for 6 years by Runner's World (they do a review every 3 years, so 2 reviews). I've had a 540HRC for a couple of years and love it. Very durable, cushioned, quiet. Most models have an HR mode which works with Polar transmitters, which I love, but if you're looking to save some $$ their lower-end models come without this but they are still the same beds and motors.

One caveat- True's customer service SUCKS, so make sure you buy from a dealer that will take care of you because you're not going to get any lovin' from True directly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into the LifeFitness T9i, it is their nicest residential machine that they make, commercially it is the 9100HR. Super smooth, the best suspension in the industry with their flexdeck. Another option would be any Landice, they all have a LIFETIME warrantee on the machine, with one year labor, they are SUPER smooth. Both are very nice machines.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consumer reports did a report like 2 months ago (I have it at home) and the best buy was Vision. It was like $1300 and they liked it just as much as some of the pricier treadmills like TRUE and Reebok. If you're interested, I'll repost when I get home tonight and give you the exact model #.

Star Tracs rock by the way but they cost mucho bucks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I bought a Pacemaster Pro Select. It wasn't cheap but had good reviews everywhere I looked.

I bought it at a local fitness store and they took off a couple of hundred dollars because it was out of the carton but hadn't been set up yet. I took it home in my station wagon and set it up in under an hour.

We use it every day in the winter and in summer when the weather is bad. It has run trouble free for me and my wife and daughter.

It has a powerful smooth running motor and a comfortable running surface. It also has a heart monitor feature, which I like. and a bunch of other features which I don't use.

Check them out here:

http://www.pacemaster.com/default.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just pulled the trigger on a precor. i checked into many models and brands, and this seemed the overall best machine. great warranties, sturdy design, easy to use, etc. it does heartrate, and all other stuff you'd expect.

these machines cost in excess of $3,500, but they're well worth it if a treadmill is going to be part of your training forte.

something i like about my model is the touch sensitive operation. it's completely closed, no moving buttons and no surfaces to get dirty. spilled water; no problem. same with sweat.

whatever your choice, use it.

cheers
sidvicious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for high end there is Cybex. They make 220V models for home or hotel use.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By far the best treadmill I have ever run on are the Woodway models. The running surface is only suspended from the sides and not by a stationary deck under a belt. The slats that run across the width of the treadmill are the best at absorbing shock, and eliminate the friction caused by the belt being pushed into the deck by your foot. All of the features on 99% of the treadmills such as flexible decks, and extra strong drive trains are still not enough to make up for the inherent design flaws of a moving belt over a stationary platform.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Trippertim opened the door, I'm gonna slam through it.

If you like belts and decks that flex (or whatever) you might as well ask your local grocery store manager if you can run on the check out line. That's the technology you get with all the other companies mentioned. You want a machine designed to run on (as opposed to moving eggs, milk, and butter) look at a Woodway.

Most people find them out of their price range, but any gym owner worth a damn can afford one, and if he doesn't have at least one you're being taken for a ride paying your monthly dues.

And please stop looking at Runner's World and Consumer reports for the 'best' treadmill out there, they have price restrictions and ads to sell that make the article worthless.

Find a Woodway and run on it, for an hour. You'll sell yourself.

"Nobody gets out of here alive."
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [bruiser98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally forgot about the woodway! That would probably be your best bet actually, unless you do not want to drop $6000 or there abouts on the basic model, but worth every penny! Still though take a peak at the Landice, you wont be sorry!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [bruiser98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{and please stop looking at Runner's World and Consumer reports for the 'best' treadmill out there, they have price restrictions and ads to sell that make the article worthless.}

Absolutely wrong Bruiser 98. Consumer Reports is a non profit independent orginization. Their ratings CANNOT be used in advertising or any other commercial purpose. Pick up a copy of the magazine and you'll see that there are no advertisements. Furthermore, they purchase all of the products they test.

As for your comment on price restrictions, they tested treadmills for home use ranging in price from $325 to $3500 including Life Fitness, Precor, Star Trac, True and Reebok. That's a pretty good range if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Favorites [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely wrong? Maybe I should have said advertisments OR price restrictions. Runner's World has both CR has one.

But, a price restriction of $3500 doesn't even begin to get close to any manufacturer's top end models, and many good manufacturer's low end stuff. And including a $325 treadmill should be reason enough to discount the whole thing.

That's a terrible range because it's exclusive of quality equipment and entire companies a consumer has a right to know about.

If CR (or anybody) wants to put a 'best of' label on something don't they need to be all inclusive? Wouldn't that allow a consumer to make his own choice based on the best options for himself as an individual?

Yes Woodway's are expensive but I wasn't the one who said they were worth every penny. Shouldn't someone in the market for a treadmill be able to get info about them from a magazine claiming to do just that?

Nobody reports on them because they're "too expensive" What the hell is that all about? Shouldn't you be allowed to decide for yourself what too expensive is and get the info you're looking for on all products?

I mean were talking about people who have more than one $5,000 bicycle. Is $3500 a fair number to place a ceiling for a treadmill?

I don't think so, so again I would ask people not to look to Consumer Reports or Runner's World for information on what the 'best' treadmill available is. Because the best aren't even allowed to enter, much less compete.

"Nobody gets out of here alive."
Quote Reply