Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleepy feet
Quote | Reply
I've been developing some numbness and tingling in the second and third toes of both feet on rides lasting an hour or more, which is to say, all rides. It starts with the tingling, but over a longer ride it can develop into a spectacularly painful neuropathy. At the Keauhou half, my feet hurt so badly by about mile 48 that I could no longer put downward pressure on the pedals, and made myself go forward - and pretty darn slowly - only with the upstrokes. I have Look pedals and Sidi shoes, and everything has been fit properly. I have experimented with loosening/tightening the shoes, and different thickness socks. I know that if I don't concentrate I start to pedal toe-down, instead of in circles, and I'm wondering if that is the cause. If so, I better concentrate harder. Has anyone experienced this?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleepy feet [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is the same thing, as my entire feet go numb, but I've found that it's from the cold. But it doesn't have to be 'cold' out, it's just that my feet are extra sensitive to cold. The other day I went out for an hour ride around noon, mid 60's out and they were numb by time I got back. But I found that using toe warmers to cut the wind into my shoes have helped. I'm doing an extra long ride this weekend and I'm going to try some charcole toe warmers (they're made for hiking/skiing, you put them in your boot and they get warm when exposed to oxygen). I'm hoping that they will keep it at bay completely.

Yours might not becaused by cold, but I was riding on the trainer this winter and it never happened, but as soon as I head out the little guys go numb. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleepy feet [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have orthotics or insoles in your shoes? Sometime the shape of the footbed can cause foot pain for me. For example my Sidi's fit like slippers if I just put them on in the living room, but after some serious saddle time I get some localized pain. I've thrown some Superfeet insoles in them (same thing I use in my running shoes) and things are better, but not perfect. That said, I have yet to find a pair of cycling shoes where I don't experience some degree of pain/discomfort after long efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleepy feet [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I just tried some gel inserts, my toes went to sleep but didn't go all the wya to painful. You're probably right that some discomfort is just part of the game. Thanks for the comments, they're helpful.
Quote Reply