Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Litespeed Tuscany reviews
Quote | Reply
Looking at snagging mama a roadie and found a used Tuscany with Centaur triple on it.

Any Tuscany owners want to share their likes/dislikes?

$900?
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 3, 11 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and I love it. I think it's an 07.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At one time, Tom Demerly, in a review on the Bikesport Michigan site, called the Tuscany the finest road bike made. That has been a few years ago when titanium was the frame material du jour. Around that same time, I remember this very site calling the QR Ti-Phoon the best tri bike in the world. Now, carbon rules the bike frame world.

The Tuscany remains one of the best bikes out there and if you could get one at that price, you would not be disappointed. I say the same about the Centaur group. I don't know how much experience you have with Campy, but I had a Centaur-equipped road bike six years ago and it's very nice componentry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an '02. I love it, no issues in ~20,000mi. I've gone from Shimano to Sram to Sramano. Other than some peeling stickers, it looks like it did the day I bought it.

I've heard people complain that its a bit noodley, but maybe that helps with the comfort. It certainly feels less snappy than the CAAD9 that I built up for my wife, but that is a pretty stiff frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife put more miles on hers over 10 years than I can say. Pro rider, lots of miles. Loved every mile. She's on another Litespeed ti bike now. And I'm on my second Litespeed as well.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the above. I am easily 20K plus miles into my early '00s Tuscany and no plans for a changeover unless I hit the powerball. It's on its third gruppo and second set of "other" parts and I still love it. Still training on it regularly (other bike is a Felt B2). Its fairly light (around 3.2 lbs for my 57 cm I believe), stiff enough for my taste and resilient enough to ride all day long. The geometry is classic Euro road. Contrasted with many US road bikes which are set up to be crit rockets, its a much more stable bike. It carves big speed turns, will be rock steady on rougher surfaces and has that springy feeling of a really well-built steel bike Except it won't ever rust and is ~1 lb lighter than most steel bikes of similar stiffness.

I think the only downside is the cable guides. They are sharp and can give you a nasty scrape when portaging your bike.

If the fit works for your wife, you can't go wrong with a used Tuscany IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just saying, I still haven't ridden a carbon bike that has the same caliber of road feel as the Tusk. Ridden plenty of giants, specialized, trek madones, felts, scotts etc etc etc and nothing soaks up the miles like it does. Sure climbing on a top of the shelf madone feels like flying but there is probably going to be a downhill to contend with after....

Unfortunately road feel/resiliency/springiness/liveliness are all fairly subjective measures so the carbon junkies will just point to the numbers and say carbon is better. Period. While I agree that carbon should eventually be tunable enough to match Ti in road feel, I haven't ridden the bike that does it as well as the best steel and ti frames do (did?). Too many carbon builders overdo the stiffness and lightness IMO. And expecting a mass-produced carbon bike made in the people's republic to deliver that finely tuned a ride is crazy. Calfee is close to having the feel but I don't think it will match a ti bike in durability. But their bikes are a big jump above a 2K entry level carbon.

Anyway, for me a pound is a tiny tradeoff to make, I love Ti and probably will look for another Ti bike when the time comes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did review the Tuscany and, at the time, thought is was about the nicest bike I could find- especially in titanium. Then, Titanium was the "go to" material. Here is a link to the old review I wrote:

http://bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/tuscany03.shtml

A lot has changed since then, and the "best bike" is a moving target and there are different "best bikes" for different fits, different riding styles, etc.

I slammed Litespeed in a few reviews, most notably an old versin of the Blade. That old Blade was not a good bike. The Tuscany, well, that was a nice bike. Really- nothing wrong with it. At the time there were very few things that could compete at the price.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Tuscany frame back in 2004 based largely on Tom's review. Very pleased with the bike, in addition to my other Litepseed (a 1998 Tachyon). Still ride both of them as my main bikes. Don't think I'll ever go to a carbon frame - think I'll stick with Ti and steel.
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always lusted secretly for a steel Serotta.

When I was visiting Zipp a lad there had the most beautiful one in his cube. I'm over titanium, as is most of the world, but a cro-moly Serotta.... :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
I have always lusted secretly for a steel Serotta.

When I was visiting Zipp a lad there had the most beautiful one in his cube. I'm over titanium, as is most of the world, but a cro-moly Serotta.... :)

I think Ben makes great bikes for sure. I have ridden a few of his frames over the years though never owned one :( . A friend of mine used to work in his shop for a time as well and confirmed that in his opinion they make a fantastic product. What those craftsman/high end steel frames have is feel IMO. Since weight isn't a factor, (glad ST recognizes this pretty uniformly though I did enjoy my weight weenie days) if the bike makes you happy and it fits, ride it.

But get over titanium? Not me :) . Yeah it seems like the former "magic metal" is commercially dead....but that makes it all that much easier to pick used bikes on the cheap. Everyone talks about the tuneability of carbon but nothing I have ridden as of yet realizes that goal....,many seem like just harsh (or whippy uberlight) riding bikes that feel dead to me.

So Tom, what should I take out on the next test ride to convince me otherwise?
Quote Reply
Re: Litespeed Tuscany reviews [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ride a Cervelo R3 I doubt you will ever look back. It is very nice.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
If you ride a Cervelo R3 I doubt you will ever look back. It is very nice.

Thanks. I'll give one a try :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,
I have the chance to buy a Tuscany for 1,000 NZD (about 700 USD), here in NZ
It has campagnolo Chorus 10. and the wheels are a bit of a mix...
I have a Ti Titus MTB which I love, and I need to get a good all around road bike... should I go for it?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
THanks!
Quote Reply