Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP! marathon training/nutrition/ weight problems
Quote | Reply
I'm in the beginning of my marathon training for a race in the late fall. I gained a lot of weight last year because of hip injuries and am happy to finally be active again. All this summer, however, I'm working a job which requires me to be out in the sun and on my feet for 4-10 hours a day. Although I know I am burning calories while out and about all day, I find myself constantly hungry and binging on healthy and not-so-healthy food throughout the day and at night. Even when I bring food to work and nibble throughout the day, it happens. I usually try to do my runs at night when it is not as hot outside. I have gained a bit of weight - fat weight, not muscle - thus far in the summer, and would like to help fix this problem before it gets the worst of me! Help!
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! marathon training/nutrition/ weight problems [needstoride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Needstoride, I'm not a dietitian, but I can give some advice that has worked for me.

--Cut out carbs (breads, crackers, cereals, etc not fruit or veges) and processed foods
--It's ok to eat carbs during your runs, and if you feel sluggish have a little bit of simple carbs within the hour before your run
--Check the ingredients and food labels of all foods. There are foods out there that say they are healthy but really aren't (don't listen to their commercials). Greek yogurt (0% plain) has more protein and less sugar than Yoplait Light and the same amount of calories. If you eat yogurt you can put fresh or frozen berries to flavor it up
--Eat some protein with every snack--this should help keep you feel fuller
--Don't buy or bring unhealthy snacks to work--this will limit temptation
--Don't be afraid of foods with good fat (nuts, peanut butter, avacodos), just be aware of how much you eat

If you really know how much your eating you can use an online database like fitday.com to track what you're eating. It's a pain in the butt, but it's a good reality check. I personally find if I eat a lot in the morning, I'm much less hungry at night. If you need to eat a little something at night make sure it has very little sugar. The last thing your body needs before bed is sugar. Good luck training for your marathon. Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! marathon training/nutrition/ weight problems [needstoride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tri Run,

Definitely cut out processed food and sugars, and reduce carbs. This will make a huge difference.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my summers between college and I was a beach lifeguard. The sun sucked my energy big time and by the end of the day I wanted to eat junk and collapse in front of the tv. So much for a baywatch body, huh!

Anyway, I know what you are describing. I found that working out in the morning was my solution, before work, and staying really, really hydrated with cold, cold fluids. Freeze two 20oz bottles of gatorade or cranberry juice, or a smoothie and take it with you to work. Constant sipping and keeping a stomach pretty full of fluids made it easier not to get a monster burrito and a pint of ice cream on my way home. Plus the cold fluid kept me more alert.

Good luck!
Quote Reply