Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good lower back strengthening exercises?
Quote | Reply
Once in a great while, after doing an open water swim, my lower back 'spazzes out' on the right side. I think it's from sighting. This hasn't happened to me since 2009... but it happened yesterday after Sunday's race...

So for the future, does anyone have any good lower back strengthening exercises? I have some great general core stuff I try to do regularly, but this area seems to be rather hard to target. One of the things I already do is lay on my stomach in a 'superman' position, and then lift hands and feet, hold, then drop back down.

Any suggestions? :)
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Good lower back strengthening exercises? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be careful doing them, but hip extensions and back extensions laying on a swiss ball are great - either have your torso on the ball with hands on the floor and lift your legs up behind you, or have your hips on the ball with feet on the ground and lift your torso (it may help to hook your feet under something, like the front of a couch).

planks and side planks can be useful for lower back strengthening as well, and are just all-round good to do.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I'll second Planks. They suck when you're doing them, but they'll make your abs iron, and that'll make your back hurt less.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Good lower back strengthening exercises? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have access to a gym, ask to be taken to the lower back extension machine. It is the ONE piece of equipment that can benefit everyone. People generally make their living while sitting in a chair, thus weakening the lower back from the support provided by the cushion.

Give 3 sets of 10-12 a try with enough weight to make the final third of each set feel difficult to complete.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply