Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego
Quote | Reply
At the end of this month I'll be moving to San Diego from overseas, where I've been for a few years.

My job is in Sorrento Valley and I'm looking for the ideal place to live, where I can easily train, do some surfing and have a good number of triathlete's to hang with. My initial ideas are Encinitas or Del Mar, but hontestly I don't know the best place.

Obviously having a good pool nearby would be a prerequisite. Biking is easy all along the coast so I'm not concerned about that. At this point I'm looking for an apartment near the beach, with rent $ not a problem right now.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego [sin1k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll probably want to find a place close to work so as to minimize the amount of time spent commuting and maximizing the time available to train. Even a place like Carlsbad (where I live) that is about 16 miles north of SV is not too bad of a commute even in rush hour traffic. Not real sure about the pool availability in SV since I have the Carlsbad pool a block away.

Riding along the coast is fine, probably about 70% of the multisport athletes in the area ride there, but they are missing the boat. Some of the best training ground in the US is when you head inland. Easiest access is when you are a bit north of SV. Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside all have easy access to the inland mountains without having to commute to them by car.

Any of the beach towns have great surfing access, especially Encinitas and Carlsbad. Tamarack Beach Park is one mile from the house and we also do open water swims from there on week nights.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At this point I'm looking for an apartment near the beach, with rent $ not a problem right now.

Thanks.
Encinitas or Solana Beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, Encinitas or Solana. Both have coaster stations, a commuter train which also stops at Sorrento Valley and in my humble opinion is the only way to commute, besides bike. AND! The coaster also allows bikes if you don't want to ride both ways for any reason.

"A man must love a thing very much if he not only
practices it without any hope of fame and money,
but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."

(G. K. Chesterton)

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego [canneberra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agree, Encinitas or Solana. Both have coaster stations
And that reminds me of another good reason to move to Solana Beach--the train station is right across from Pizza Port. Two thumbs up! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego [canneberra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the Encinitas call. If I weren't leaving the area, that's where I'd move. Beach town, restaurants, easy cycling access to anything, restaurants, bike shops...
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a place to live/train in San Diego [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit surprised that no one suggested Del Mar, but hey I like Encinitas or Solana Beach. And I didn't know that the Coaster stopped there or that it went to SV.

Two more follow up questions:
1. Where are the pools nearby Encinitas or Solana?
2. Which apartments/condos are considered the best in these areas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2. Which apartments/condos are considered the best in these areas?
Solana Beach and Encinitas are both sorta unique, older, not so cookie-cutter type communities. Most of the housing right by the beaches are individual houses (many for rent), but you don't see much in the way of apartment complexes. There are some, but they aren't so cool in my opinion. Rent yourself a nice little place near the ocean. Ahhh, that's life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks. i've got to find a good place now...i guess i'll do it when i move in late july.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any good running trails, grass routes, woodchips to run on in orange county (corona del mar to be exact and anything near irvine)?

looking to move near there, hows the tri scene there?
Quote Reply