Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge
Quote | Reply
The Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial is a 40k (24.8mi) road bike time trial along a mostly uninterrupted section of Pennsylvania’s Schuylkill River Trail. The race falls between the Longford Park Phionexville parking lot on the West end and the wood planked bridge just west of downtown Conshohocken on the East end. To make the race more accessible, we have made the race a loop and have not set an official start finish line. Instead we have defined the loop and athletes can start anywhere on the loop completing the full loop returning to the point where they started. This is a Fast and fun TT anyone can do as part of thier training plan.

All the details needed to participate in this race are in the Official Race Packet.

How ViralRacing Races Work:
ViralRacing Races are self timed and self supported races. ViralRacing races are not organized or sanctioned events in any way. They are simply a series of common race course descriptions and rules to follow that enable athletes to compete with each other over a one year time period. All we provide is a course description and common racing rules. You pick the start time and self-time your race, then send us the timing details. Each week we review and score all the timing submissions, restate the leaderboard and recompile detailed rankings for each race. Please see our website for more information. www.ViralRacing.com

We have Slowtwitch Specific Results (only reachable form Slowtwitch Forum Links). To have your results posted in these results, you will need to enter a club name of “Slowtwitch” with the submission of your results. Please note that results submissions supported with GPS data get ranked ahead of non GPS supported results.

GPS data collection example: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87269365

Previous post about Viral Racing: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3343767;search_string=viral%20racing;#3343767

ViralRacing.com | Unique workout option: New York City Olympic Triathlon
Free Races in: Pennsylvania | New Jersy | New York | Maine | New Hampshire | Vermont
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [triviral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this post on Monday... had my bike in the car so I had to do it. If you don't ever ride this section of the SRT you really should. It is very fast and makes you feel like a hero. Thanks for putting this together and thanks for posting my results to the Slowtwitch rankings. Now if I can only hold down a time like that next weekend in PHLY.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [triviral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a wet blanket, but... Is this a Rails-For-Trails type multi-use path with families poking along with kids on bikes with training wheels? Or is this some other type of trail that doesn't see the "slow" folks?

If it is the former, I don't think I can see the wisdom in encouraging fast, aggressive riding on it for an over all time goal. It just seems like a tragedy waiting to happen.

If it is the latter, and the only folks you are going to be passing at 25 mph are other bikers doing 20 mph, then it sounds like a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [JoeB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride this trail every couple of weeks, only when I have to nowadays. I can't see slamming that course as described. It's just too crowded and dangerous. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go out on a weekday morning. no one there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch out for the thugs in Norristown ... they'll prevent a PR.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [JoeB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a multi use trail... and I have seen 2 accidents related to kids over the past year. Everyone should worry about this on the SRT and a hard run on the SRT should only be done off kid hours. My run, posted above, was done after work and more importantly, done in the rain. The trail was empty except for faster cyclists and maybe hand full of pedestrians.

BTW... both accidents I saw in the last year involved 2+ cyclist drafting. The first cyclist can typically avoid an accident... it is when the second cyclist hits the first then the kid gets hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We appreciate your comments and share your concerns in general about biking on the SRT. Our challenge is in no way a license to ride any differently than on any other training day. We assume that athletes taking this challenge will not risk the safety of others to make a better time. We have added a safety note at the beginning of the Race Packet to make sure yours and our concerns are clear.

Thank you of the input.

ViralRacing.com | Unique workout option: New York City Olympic Triathlon
Free Races in: Pennsylvania | New Jersy | New York | Maine | New Hampshire | Vermont
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I frequently utilize this trail for my training rides as well as easy rides with my children. i'm not sure that i would ever utilize this trail for a "time trial". maybe on a weekday morning ride but that may be it. for those of you who do decide to participate, please be mindful of the young kids on the trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not just the kiddies with training wheels you have to contend with, it's the runners wearing earbuds that don't hear you yell "on your left" putzing along in the middle of the path.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Schuylkill River Trail Time Trial – A New Viral Racing Challenge [SilverTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this trail all the time as well. Must be very careful with kids and runners
Quote Reply