Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego, CA
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Quick question for anybody that lives out in the San Diego, CA region...I know it's illegal to sleep in the car there, but what about the beach?

A teammate and I are traveling from AZ today to Sunday to "crash" the SoCal district track champs (velodrome), but our original housing plans were just terminated, so we're looking for cheap options. Any leads in the general San Diego region would be greatly appreciated...we don't mind driving a bit to the track, as the races don't start until 10:30am Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks in advance, and Happy 4th of July everyone.

Go fast, turn left...and don't EVER stop pedaling.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a ride down to the coffee shop in OB.

There is absolutely zero parking at the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just got back from a ride down to the coffee shop in OB.

There is absolutely zero parking at the beach.

Which coffee shop? Newbreak? Actually, people do park there overnight. In some areas the cops are strict about enforcing the law, but in OB they're pretty relaxed--the lot in front of Newbreak, and the lot to the north at Dog Beach, people do get away with it. It's a crap shoot, but... They may be more apt to hassle you with out-of-state plates. The worst that will happen is they'll tell you to move.

If you're really desperate for somewhere cheap, there are a couple youth hostels in the area (one right in OB). They're kinda nasty though. I'd take my chances in the car. Just find a side street in a neighborhood and sleep in the car. Nobody will bother you.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably missed your start time, but it is quite illegal to sleep on the beach. As a beach area resident, I'm one of those pesky locals that call out the boys in blue to roust campers off the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a beach area resident, I'm one of those pesky locals that call out the boys in blue to roust campers off the beach.
That's because you live in La Jolla. The people of OB (for better or for worse) are far more tolerant.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's up with all the freaks this weekend in OB/PL area? geez, it heats up and the roaches come out of the cracks and head to the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego, CA [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what's up with all the freaks this weekend in OB/PL area? geez, it heats up and the roaches come out of the cracks and head to the beach.
Don't know for sure; I'm stuck in Michigan. :( Probably just because of the 4th of July. I lived in OB last year during the 4th, and that weekend was crazy! Although it's getting to be that time of year when all the inlanders come looking for cooler temps and good waves anyway.
Quote Reply