Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slosh... Slosh..
Quote | Reply
I'm gearing up for Muncie next weekend.. and looking for tips on avoiding the stomach problems I encountered last year. During the run.. about 3-4 miles in. It seems all the liquid I consumed just stayed there, and it would slosh, slosh as I ran. Quite uncomfortable.

So this year in my training, I've experimented with different amounts, different drinks, but every it happens every time.

Is a conditioning issue? I theorize that my body is diverting its resources to keeping me moving and moderating my body temp, thus no resources are dedicated to digestion.

What's the remedy?
Quote Reply
Re: Slosh... Slosh.. [Charlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the IM nutrition article on this site. In short, you may have too "rich" of a mixture in your stomach. I get more of a lean mixture by drinking mostly water and replacing electrolytes from sources other than sugary drinks.

In the 1/2 IM that I just did, I consumed 1 bottle of GPush #2 at double strength for a total of 420 cals and about 4 water bottles on the bike. For the run, I had gels every 40' and mostly water to drink with some gatorade. From my experience, especially noticeable in a marathon, eating gels and drinking only gatorade does wicked things to your digestive system.

Since it is too late to experiment if you have reason to suspect that you will have a problem you might simply try drinking more water and less gatorade. However, you still have to make certain that you are getting enough electrolytes to replace what you are losing - it is a tricky balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has the same problem, but hasn't been able to find a solution. Its like the body fails to let fluids and food through the stomach, so it all just sits there.

Another guy I know used an indigestion recipe (I think it was called Mylanta) which relaxes the spchincter that hold the out pipe of the stomach closed allowing it to empty. It worked a treat for him.

Let me know if you have any luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things could be happening that involve cho, fluid, electrolytes, pace, conditions. It does take electrolytes to move the stomach contents and for absorbtion. In a electrolyte depleted state your gut is asking for them but your body is unable to deliver effectively because of low volumes and that the delivery system (circulating blood) is largely being diverted to other places like your legs. Your brain tells you you need fluids and calories to keep this thing going but your gut says, slow down there big boy. Better listen to your gut on this one. Back off the pace, bump up the electrolyte supplements with a little bit of water, otherwise take nothing by mouth. Again I'm no dr. but have had to figure this one out in training-racing. Looks like Muncie will be a hot-one this year. Your "pace-limiter" may not be nueromuscular, but rather your gut. Fixing gut-symptoms as they happen by modifying pace and intake can turn a potentially bad day around. My $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing the race next weekend, it is a little late to try anything new except for watering down your current potion.

I had similar problems, and corrected them by drinking more water and watering down the gatorade. Still had minor problems digesting large quantities of gel, and I wasn't getting the necessary caloric intake. So I made my own gel concoction of peanut butter and jelly. I mixed a tablespoon of each into a snack size ziplock and have one every hour in between hourly carb booms. This with watered down gatorade and more water has solved my digestive problems.

warning the PB&J concoction looks horrible. But it is the easiest for me to digest and delivers immediate and long term energy.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out a very interesting product that I have had good luck with. http://www.gookinaid.com . It is similar to Cytomax but without the cost. The "inventor" has done quite a bit of research into the science of fluid replacement.
-Craig
Quote Reply