Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front Aero Wheel
Quote | Reply
I’m purchasing a set of race wheels and I’ve decided on a disc for the rear (tubular). Now I’m having difficulties deciding on a front wheel. I want a tubular that’s relatively inexpensive (read: no Zipp). Here are the options I know of:

Nimble Fly
Hed Jet 40
Hed Alps
Spinergy Tilium Carbon

Any thought or suggestions? I weigh about 140 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Aero Wheel [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Hed H3 front (and a Renn Disc). See: http://community.webshots.com/photo/67335198/78158081QQXbvt

I can only recommend this combo. The H3 is the fastest front wheel available.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Front Aero Wheel [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try ebay or roadbikereview.com. I just bought a zipp front 404 front w/ a DA hub in excellent condition for $190 shipped. Pay through paypal with a credit card.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Nimble Fly up front with a disc in back. The fly rocks! Great wheel and fairly reasonably priced. It is insanely light. I also like the fact that I can use it in any condition (winds, hills...).

It's super strong too. I'm 200 and am very happy with it. With your weight, you should be able to pick one up with a really low spoke count. I also have been very happy with the service from the company. If you call, you talk to the owner/builder, not to hold music while the CS are busy like at some other companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nimble Fly. That would be my choice. I love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd the HED3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the Spinergy is only available in clincher.

I'm also thinking that the wheel is only avilable in pairs, but I may be wrong about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Aero Wheel [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lightest front wheel....WAY light (yes, lighter than the Fly)

Zipp Hub (got it on eBay new for about $30.00

Mavic Reflex Rim (at cost - about $25.00)

24 DT Evolution Spokes, 2 cross with Alloy nipples...Wheelsmith Spoke Prep. (about $40.00)

I have less than $100.00 into this wheel - it is BOMB PROOF...I mean, that wheel has been to hell and back. I certainly have more than 15,000 miles on it. It by "Hand Scale" is the lightest wheel I have ever used.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read your options and all the recommendations I think you have to make first a general decision. Do you want a very aero but a little bit heavier wheel (like the H3)? or do you want a very light wheel that is less aero (like Nimble Fly).
What you choose depends of you riding style, the terrain you race on and the conditions. Then you can come down to different brands.

I know that I can't use my H3/Renn Disc if it is very windy/gusty. But this is not a normal condition and therefore I choose this combo. And I preferred aeroness over weight.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Front Aero Wheel [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My main concern is having a versatile wheelset for all occasions (including wind, hills, etc.) since I won't have the luxury of having multiple wheels. I don't want to stick a clincher training wheel on the front with a tubular disc on the back if it gets windy. And being 140 pounds I don't want to get whipped around if my front wheel is too deep.

All told, I'm leaning towards the Fly or Jet 40, which offer some aero advantage and can be used in all conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then I would also go for one of the wheel you mentioned. Because you are lighter than me (165) it is probably better not to have to much surface on the front.
If it gets too windy I have to use my stock Ritchey Deep Section (35mm) wheels. They are also not too bad.

Felix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give both companies a call and chat with them. From what I'm told they both are great over the phone. (I've only talked to Nimble) Sure they're both going to try to sell to you, but that's their job. I'd go with the company you feel most comfortable with and the price you feel most comfortable with. FWIW, I had Nimble build my wheel around a different hub that I specified and they had no problem. I believe Hed will do this too. That's one of the great things about dealing with these guys directly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a brand new Hed 3 from Bicycle Sports for $350. I'm wondering if they are not carrying Hed stuff anymore. Might give them a call.
Quote Reply