Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing strategy for sprints?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what strategy those of you who compete in sprints use on race day. Our season down here in the Southeast is made up predominantly of sprint distance races. We do a longer race or two during the year, but the bulk of what we do are sprints of varying distances (400-600 s/12-15 b/5K r). My strategy in the past has been to just hit all three events wide open and go just as hard as I can. However, I have been re-thinking that a bit lately. I think my strategy has been flawed -- I began considering this after a sprint I did Saturday in which what I thought was a lackluster bike performance turned into my fastest run split yet and led to a pretty good finishing time. So what's the best way to approach a sprint? FWIW, I'm pretty slow, especially on the bike and run (swimming is my best of the three sports). I finish mid pack overall, but usually in the bottom half of my age group (the uber-fast 30-34 group).

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Racing strategy for sprints? [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll preface this reply with the fact that I have only 1 sprint under my belt - so keep that in mind! The bike is probably my strongest of the 3 sports, my run the weakest. I have a good friend who ablsolutely smokes me running, (3 or 4 minutes faster on a 5k) but struggles on the bike. When we did the sprint, I went hard, on the bike, but definitely could've pushed harder. I didn't because I was concerned with having nothing left for the run. At the end of the race, my friend (who did give it all away on the bike) was only 30 seconds faster than me on the run, and my run was the exact same pace it always is, (without a swim and bike in front of it.) Ended up with a time almost 5 minutes faster than her.

I guess; and again, I could be wrong, my suggestion is to be more strategic throughout. IMO, if there is a place to give it all away, it's in the latter half of the run.

Kate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your heart rate is high from start to finish. Imagine nonstop training at your lactic threshold for an hour to an hour and a half. You can blow at any time in a sprint, People say "but its short go full speed the whole race". I look at it this way the engine is at very high RPM for most of the race, not at best cruise speed, well above it. You have to apply the clutch and downshift are upshift where its suits you best.

My strong point is my swim also so I can take it pretty easy and still get out of the water in decent positon in an effort to save a little for the bike and run.

I think that you have to pace and plan just as if you were doing a much longer race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh gawd...another one of those "it depends" things...

If you're a MOP/BOP racer, either against the field or just your AG, and especially if there are overwhelmingly obvious strengths and weaknesses to your game, then by all means be tactical about it even in the sprint distance races.

The closer you get to the podium, however, the more well-rounded the competition - and, you - will be and then it's redline from gun to tape or you're not gonna be in the money. Especially for us 30-34 guys.

Train your weaknesses, race your strengths...until you can't tell which is which anymore.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my approach is based on my relative strengths, determined by tracking percentage position in my AG and how much time I lose to the podium guys on each leg. I'm an OK swimmer, poor cyclist, and fair runner. Typically I'll take the swim as fast as possible while still swimming relaxed, because I won't lose much time in the swim, even when not pushing hard. The bike I take as fast as I can, which is slow by most standards.. Even after a hard bike, I'll usually still be able to run in the top 15%. While I might be able to run slightly faster after an easier bike, I'd lose so much time on the bike leg, it would be pointless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My strategy? May not be the best. I go moderately hard on the swim, hammer with all I got on the bike, do my best to keep from throwing up on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing strategy for sprints? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. Sounds right to me . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RP: where in the SE to you race? GA and AL have a lot of sprints, but there are also some Oly's around. There's a 1/2 IM in North GA and the Carolinas have some longer races. FL is loaded with options.

To answer your question: my strategy is to learn the course. I do the same races every year (most of the Team Magic races, races in the same venue, etc.) so that I learn the course. Even for a first time race, I drive the course to see where to push, where to hold back. I go out moderately on the swim and push on the bike -- based on my knowledge of the course. I push real hard on hills where I know there is ample recovery time following, and pace myself more carefully on longer hills or sections with multiple climbs. I try to maintain a steady pace on the run, pushing myself around other competitors, and the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should go all out as fast as you can in each leg. If you think your going your absolute hardest you should go even harder, run at the pace you would do a 400m interval on the track at for the whole 5k, at least that is what it should feel like and don't let up.

this is what you might look like :-) ....

http://www.angelfire.com/...355_rider/spud22.htm

or....

http://www.angelfire.com/...355_rider/spud23.htm

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Last edited by: Goodtime: Jul 2, 03 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Racing strategy for sprints? [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in south Georgia, in Douglas, about 100 miles north of Jacksonville, FL. I race a couple of the Beaches Fine Arts sprints in Jacksonville (my goal is always to do the whole series, but something usually comes up on one of the Saturdays and keeps me away; this time, it's a friend's wedding on the 12th). I also try to do the sprint in Cordele, GA, as well as whatever else I can fit in, maybe Panama City or the like. I did my first Tri the Parks race this past weekend, and that was a good race. There are several options for Olympics, but most of those are on Sundays, and I try not to race on Sunday. I did that half IM in north Georgia this year -- it was pretty brutal. We don't have very many hills here on the coastal plain, and we did the best we could, but that mess up in the north Georgia mountains was pretty tough. The organization in north Georgia that puts on the half IM hosts a few sprints of varying distances, and I like to get up there for those as well.

I try to get in an early season half IM, then finish the season with sprints. If I can find a good Olympic distance on a Saturday, I'll schedule that as well.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great Oly-distance race, put on by triathletes, is the Tugaloo Triathlon. see www.tri-atlanta.org (the club that puts on the event) for more details. The race is Saturday, September 13 in Lavonia, GA (northeast corner of the state). The Tri-Atlanta calendar also lists a bunch of races in Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing strategy for sprints? [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to do Tugaloo last year, but couldn't work it out. I've had my eyes on it this year. I was hoping to do a late season half IM, but I don't think I'll be able to. The Tugaloo tri would be a nice substitute. I've never heard much about it (nobody in our local club has done it), just seen it on the Tri Atlanta website (I have been on that site many times). I'd like to do it. I actually have it written down on my calendar.

BTW, where are you located?

RP
Quote Reply