Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Courier Bag?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a courier-style bag for commuting (the backpack thing is just not good). What would you all recommend? I need to carry a laptop with me, and it rains a lot here in Vancouver.

Thanks,

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Courier Bag? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Curious as to why the backpack doesn't work. I used to use a courier bag (timbuktu, I liked it, but I bought it about 10 years ago so have no idea what courier bags are out there now), but now use a backpack, and I much prefer the backpack. The benefit of the courier bag seems to be the ability to more easily sling it around your hip to access it, then sling it back when riding. If you don't need frequent access in the course of a trip, the backpack, in my experience, is a much more stable and comfortable way to carry things. I admit the backpack looks dorkier. I've only been using a backpack for a short while, so maybe there are other downsides I'll encounter before too long?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jandd Gabriel messenger with a laptop instert. Big bag that expands big enough to carry a small elephant. Good luck.

shawn

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.timbuk2.com

The best messenger bag made by a great company. You custom build your own from their web site. I have the Commuter model which has a special divider for a laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Courier Bag? [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The backpack is great for short distances, but over the long haul (and especially in this hilly town) leaves me with a sweaty back - not nice to arrive that way with no shower facilities. For me or those around me.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Courier Bag? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much room do you have for other stuff once you put the laptop in it? I have a line on a smokin' deal on the El Ocho model (the size medium Messenger bag), which is a good deal larger than the Commute - but does not have a laptop pocket. While I love the concept of the Commute and want to protect my laptop, I'm a tad concerned that I may not have enough room for all my other shit. (I'm not exactly one to travel light) Okay, I'm kind of leaning towards saving some $ too - but I don't want to save a few bucks at the expense of my laptop! I suppose I'd have to get a laptop sleeve if I went with the larger bag, thereby negating my savings - but I'd still have a larger bag. So I guess my main question is how big is the Commute bag (in real terms, not cubic inches), and do you ever need more room than it can provide?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How much room do you have for other stuff once you put the laptop in it? I have a line on a smokin' deal on the El Ocho model (the size medium Messenger bag), which is a good deal larger than the Commute - but does not have a laptop pocket.

Hmmm. Tough to answer. I use it to carry books for school. With my laptop in it, I can still carry a pretty good amount of other stuff (2 or 3 good size books, papers, pens, etc.). I can load it up enough that it's almost hard to carry. However, I wouldn't mind if it was just a bit bigger. Another option is to get the El Ocho and purchase the laptop sleeve separately if you feel you need it. That works with any bag. The only reason I didn't go with that option in the first place is that the laptop sleeve they sell separately isn't big enough to fit my laptop.

I've had two of their bags (and have known people who have had many more), and I've been very pleased with the quality and with the company.

Jandd is a great company too, but I've got to give the edge to Timbuk2 for the messenger bags.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Courier Bag? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply! I've been going back and forth between Timbuk2 and CourierWare, another "made by bike couriers" company who supposedly make indestructable gear. I checked out the Jandd bags, but most of them seem to lack the waist strap. Either that or it's hidden in the pictures and stats. Given your comments on buying the larger Timbuk2 and the sweet price, I think I'll go ahead with that.

Thanks again!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Given your comments on buying the larger Timbuk2 and the sweet price, I think I'll go ahead with that.

I definitely think you'll be satisfied.

And speaking of bags, it's time to put mine to use and head off to school on this beautiful day. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

I've already told you about my PAC Designs Street Scene (Lg) bag and I know it's priced way way high compared to the Timbuk2's, CourierWare's, etc, but let me have a chance to show it to you in person before you make your final decision.

Cheers,
Leo

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, yeah, I can see that. I break into a sweat strapping up my shoes, so shower is mandatory for me.
Quote Reply