Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mono????
Quote | Reply
Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying some part of summer. Need some help on the issue of training with mono. Have an olympic distance in 3 weeks, put in over 300 miles on my bike in 4 weeks, and I was wondering why I was feeling soooooo crappy with my running. Went to the doc with this cough that wouldn't stop, woke me up at night, coughed through a century, and turns out I have mono!! Past few days running has been better, but I still haven't been able to do any transition training. Should I lay off or play as able??

Thanks for your help!!

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Re: Mono???? [Bug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your body has put out a plea: "REST!!!!" Listen to it.

Did the doc confirm mono? If so, it's now in charge of your life. The recovery can vary. My 18 year-old had it recently, and went back to pitching baseball in a couple of weeks. I had it when I was 30, and it was a much longer recovery for me.

If it's not mono, there's still some other something that you need to get clear of. As for your race, read Dan's article that's just been posted on the "Critique of Poor Reason," and then decide if you want to race the upcoming oly distance, or fight another day.

Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised that you are even asking the question. When I got mono, I stayed in bed for 3 weeks and could not pass solid food for the first week. Maybe there are different kinds of monos, or people get it at different intensities? I would play it safe if I were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bug. a dx of mono is a ticket to a one month layoff. doing that race would be folly. i would also encourage you to take a bunch of time off work - do like a day on and a day off if you can for a couple weeks, or something similar, if you do not want this to linger on and on. hydrate, eat well, and take naps - you may feel funny, as you do not feel all that " sick", but any doc in the world would back you on this. if you have sick time now is the time to use it, particularly if you are an active person ( i am assuming you are. . . . ) and wish to regain form. sucks for the upcoming event, i know but that is the way it is - hincapie missed his whole spring season with a bug too - gotta play what you are dealt, and all that. be smart, buddy - do not run a lame horse.
Quote Reply
Re: Mono???? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, my first thought was this has got to be a troll. Mono is a major assault on your body, it can knock you down more than IM! You inisist on training through it and you could very well put your life at risk...not hyperbole. Nearly every winter usually around the holidays I see a 30 something come into the ER DOA...Pnuemonia that they just tried to push through. Talk to your Doc, take care of yourself to race another day.
Quote Reply
Re: Mono???? [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mono is not always a "major assault" on your body. As someone else suggested you can infact have an infection of various intensities. Play it by ear and err on the side of caution.

FWIW I had mono with one quite swollen lymph node as the effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it when I was 18 and it laid me out for 6 weeks. I couldn't even get out of bed some days. When I did push myself(and I don't mean training, I mean get up and go to class), it would be worse for the next few days.

It sounds like you don't have it as bad as I did, but it seems that the more you do, the longer it sticks around.

I'm no doctor, but if I think that if you race with mono, you won't like the results.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Who you been kissin? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get well soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Mono???? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your input. I'm really not a moron, I work in healthcare and most of the time know better. I just feel alright except for being a bit sleepy all the time (but that's nothing unusual). So, time for a nap. Everyone enjoy your workouts 2 minutes more for me!!

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disrespect intended. The nature of the beast is to project, especially in this minimal interface we've got going here, and when anxiety is present (seeing people die) its worse. Heal well!
Quote Reply