Prev Next
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hairspray

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [jsfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the ESI Road grips for about 5 years now, on two bikes.

Pros:
- I've cleaned them maybe twice with soapy water. They really don't need it.
- They are more tacky when wet, great for racing.
- More comfortable than tape

Cons:
- Any grip is going to be harder to put on than tape, you have to remove your brake levers at the least. I was able to slide mine over the shifters without much trouble.
- It can be hard to get the length right on some base bars. I wish on my Cobra base bars I had made them an inch or so longer.

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [quellish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the links in this thread are dead now, but wondering if anyone nowadays runs a setup on their aerobars/base bar that’s more of a grip than a wrap - maybe silicone or rubber or something along those lines. Just to hold wires in place and provide some grip, but again, without typical wraps.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I use a Keirin grip and it works very well. Cut them in half and it can be used on the base and extension, one pair gets the job done.

https://www.euroasiaimports.com/...-Grips-1294p6398.htm

Quote | Reply
Not sure who makes the Canyon Speedmax bar grips, but they look really nice. Something gummy/sticky that doesn't hurt the hands when standing & is durable or dry out (like the spongy grips)...I need to look into different grips for my bars...tape just keeps coming undone whether put on by me or the shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lessthaneight wrote:
All the links in this thread are dead now, but wondering if anyone nowadays runs a setup on their aerobars/base bar that’s more of a grip than a wrap - maybe silicone or rubber or something along those lines. Just to hold wires in place and provide some grip, but again, without typical wraps.

Most all of the "aftermarket" extensions makers now sell their own take on "grips" that work with either a mechanical or electronic shifter and is an ergonomic shape to the hands.

D2Z and Aerocoach come to mind. Their extensions have grips.

I don't spend enough time out of the aerobars to justify anything but the basebar as-is otherwise. If I did do something, I'd probably use skateboard deck tape.

As for ones to add onto existing extensions, not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tennis racket grip tape.....not too thick, just tacky enough....and much cheaper than bar tape. I'm quite happy with this stuff from Wilson. I can do both the base bars and aero bars with only 2 rolls of the pack of 3....and only $6.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using ODI ergonomic grips and mine for a while now and love them especially in the Florida heat

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t used tape on extensions since around 1988

Am I doing it wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Textured heat shrink is the way to go. It is cheap on Amazon and creates a perfect fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use grip on the extensions (they actually have a slight texture -- think they are tririg). I have a narrow piece of tape along the underside to cover the wire (di2) from the shifter to where it enters the extension.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you are ;)

Someone on another thread mentioned golf grips, and since I had a few lying around I decided to try them on my bars. Sure, they aren't going to win a beauty contest, but they provide great grip, and a bit of cushion, not to mention a pretty smooth transition from the brakes to the bars.

FWIW, I used a dab of sex lube on the bars and inside the grip, and it slipped on quite easily. Don't let anyone tell you that golf grips won't stretch quite a bit wider than a standard golf club shaft. Just be ready to put the brake levers on in a hurry because that golf grip will shoot across the room if you aren't careful.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lessthaneight wrote:

Profile Aerogrips. I had to cut down the basebar ones to fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Not sure who makes the Canyon Speedmax bar grips, but they look really nice. Something gummy/sticky that doesn't hurt the hands when standing & is durable or dry out (like the spongy grips)...I need to look into different grips for my bars...tape just keeps coming undone whether put on by me or the shop.

Ergon makes them. They are a foam type grip on the aero bars and for the base bar they are a form fitted rubber type grip. This setup is so nice.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Textured heat shrink is the way to go. It is cheap on Amazon and creates a perfect fit.

agreed. i got some stuff made for fishing poles, it's great!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have to have a heatgun for this stuff or can you get the job done with a hair dryer on full blast?

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ideas on where to find these Ergon foam grips? I don't see them listed on Ergon's site.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Any ideas on where to find these Ergon foam grips? I don't see them listed on Ergon's site.

You can order replacements from Canyon directly since they are made specifically for the Speedmax CF SLX. I would assume the base bar replacements would be only applicable to the Canyon bar but the aero grips are universal.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
FWIW, I used a dab of sex lube on the bars and inside the grip, and it slipped on quite easily.

This made me laugh. There was little reason to include that word, the sentence would still make sense to us all without it and we wouldn't be the wiser as to actually what lube type it was. You should submit this to GCN hack/bodge, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One difference. You can pull off the grip and enjoy the benefits of an unwrapped gel. In the flavour of your choice. Regular lube just tastes like day old WD-40.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
I use this stuff too. Gets the thumbs up from me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run grips instead of tape on aero bars? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Slug wrote:
FWIW, I used a dab of sex lube on the bars and inside the grip, and it slipped on quite easily.

This made me laugh. There was little reason to include that word, the sentence would still make sense to us all without it and we wouldn't be the wiser as to actually what lube type it was. You should submit this to GCN hack/bodge, lol.

I am not the smartest dude around. But if you got a chuckle then I achieved my goal ;)

I do have to say though, sex lube is slicker than snot on a doorknob when it is wet, and very tacky when it is dry.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a couple of pieces of cheap Home Depot griptape on the ends of the aero bars, and where the hand sits on the flar bar above the brake lever. When the grit wears off, I just take the tape off and apply a new piece. Maybe a couple times a year. The roll of tape should last a lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lessthaneight wrote:
Do you have to have a heatgun for this stuff or can you get the job done with a hair dryer on full blast?

I used a gas torch. A hot hair dryer may work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this type of product, http://heatshrink.co.nz/...-heat-shrink-tubing/, heat shrink tubing for grips and handles, you could use heat gun, torch, or even boiled water to shrink it. Hope it will be some help to you.

Quote Reply

Prev Next