Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by lschmidt
Re: Swollen feet after traveling? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My condolences....I am no medical expert, but I know your discomfort

I used to travel a lot by air - mostly long haul transpacific, too much of it in economy.

The swelling is likely "normal" but was exacerbated the fact the you had just raced and your arterial system was "wide open" allowing fluids to pool in your extremities while you sat for an extended period.

At this point, spend as much time as you can lying on your back with your feet in the air ( no I am not kidding), ice helps, comperssion socks will help and are a great preventative featconure ( I always use them if I am flying back from a race, even a short flight).

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
Any tips on how to get rid of this swelling, and how to prevent it from happening in the future? A quick search turned up some results for compression socks -- regardless of whether they work for performance and/or recovery, would wearing these during travel help prevent the swelling?

Yes, I def am not on board for the whole performance recovery aspect. But when it comes to traveling its great. I wore the De Soto ones on the way to Gold Coast and Budapest and it was heaven. I was able to get off the plane both times and go for runs almost immediately with zero swelling or any pain. I would check them out for travel purposes if nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear compression stockings for all long car rides and plane trips. Prevents the problem for me....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm, that's a recipe for a blood clot.... Make sure in addition to the swelling there's no redness, pain or heat. If there is, get to the ER. Google athletes and DVTs

In the future -
Race warmdown, lots of walking
Lots of hydration
compression tights
stop every couple hours as you did, walk around for at least 10 minutes
When traveling, flex your ankles and knees as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen feet after traveling? [eddiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eddiep wrote:
I wear compression stockings for all long car rides and plane trips. Prevents the problem for me....

Yep, works great for me too.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen feet after traveling? [eddiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same again for the socks. Don't get rid of it entirely very much better. I elevate my feet on a pillow overnight in bed which mostly sorts it for the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that the arteries are open, it's that the venous return is hampered but your sitting for long periods. In addition to getting out and walking every couple of hours, you should be alternatively lifting your feet up on your toes then heels while sitting. This effectively pumps the blood out of the congested venous system. Compression stockings will also help but in general you shouldn't tax your system by racing and traveling for hours on the same day. This has been shown to lead to problems with deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Also, taking an 81 mg aspirin before travel is useful in preventing DVT.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: Apr 11, 11 19:57
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. FWIW, I did have a 24 hour break after the race and before the ride home...and I still had the swelling.

I got a $5 pair of compression socks from the local pharmacy, which claim to be graduated and designed for travel.

It may have helped a little so far, but my feet are still pretty swollen. I'll have to see how they are in the morning.

One thing to note is that on the way to the race I wore running shoes, and on the way back I had sandals on. Could wearing shoes possibly helped prevent swelling by keeping some pressure around the feet? I didn't have any swelling from the way down, but only after the return trip home.

Yes, the shoes could keep the swelling up or even prolong it. They (your feet) need to breathe.

Last edited by: travelmama: Apr 11, 11 20:06
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: Apr 11, 11 20:11
Quote | Reply
Shoes would definitely have kept the swelling down. I came home from Hawaii in flip flops recently only to find my grandmother's feet below my knees when we landed. At night try and keep your feet elevated above the level of your heart on pillows, careful not to put strain on your knees. It should resolve soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swollen feet definitely is definitely not normal. Especially if you think that it is noticeable and accompanied by pain and redness. Definitely you need to see your doctor, as there can exist and underlying factor that lead you to this condition and not only because you are traveling and been sitting for long hours.

Most of the time, leg swelling is caused by the pooling of blood in the lower part of your legs because of poor circulation resulting from serious vein conditions such as deep vein thrombosis, chronic venous insufficiency, lymphedema. Other factors that can lead to swelling includes infections, trauma, heart disorders, obesity, hormones(In pregnant women), prolong standing or prolong sitting, long travel flights or drive.

As you can see, leg swelling can be a symptom of something serious, so if you think it is that serious, you should seek prompt medical care. However, if your leg swelling happened only because you did stand or sat longer hours than usual -- the best way to prevent this from happening again is by wearing compression stockings or socks.

I've been been wearing my compression stockings even if I do not go on long travels, or am not subjected to standing or sitting for long hours. Compression therapy has helped keep legs healthy by ensuring that there is proper blood circulation in the lower legs to prevent venous problems and keep leg healthy.

There are many good brands of compression stockings and socks available out there with different styles and sizes used for every occasion (casual, business, sports), and they come in different compression gradient. It is important to have the proper compression gradient as this is the ultimate way to prevent leg problems. I suggest you invest on a couple of good brands as they really deliver the best result. I get my compression stockings and athletic compression socks from http://www.LegsTherapy.com They carry the best brand of compression stockings and socks at a very good price.

I hope I was able to help you.
Stay healthy!

Quote Reply
Re: Swollen feet after traveling? [jessie85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only that, but you boyfriend won't think they too sexy...

;)
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply