Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

paint VS powdercoat?
Quote | Reply
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm looking to have an old steel frame repainted. I found a place that will strip and powdercoat it for $240CAD, which Bunny tells me is a good price. Now I'm curious to see what you folks think about wet paint VS powdercoating?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: paint VS powdercoat? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Khai was also thinking about repainting the wife's road bike before rebuild. Who have you found locally? the only one I have found is dekef in richmond, same outfit? Their site has some info about powdercoat etc.

Quote | Reply
what do you want to do ? powdercoat is cheaper, and far easier on the environment - or so the regulations say. the main reason you see so much powdercoat these days are due to these factors. it is durable, too. a good choice for a bike you want to be a color other than rust, and are not in need of an "art" statement on.

wet paint is better looking. mind you, you can get a crappy paint job, but what i am saying is a good paint job will always look better than a good powdercoat job, plain and simple. there ain't no powdercoat job ever gonna look as good as joe bell's worst paint job ( if he ever has one, that is. . .). good paint costs more. paint can chip. this is the way to go if you are fixing up something nice.
Last edited by: t-t-n: Jun 26, 03 11:37
Quote Reply
I painted my own.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is a link to the photo album to see what I did if you want.

http://www.trinewbies.com/...ails.asp?albumid=128

click on the thumbnails to see the big pics. I used House of Kolor paint. Not the most professional paint job in the world, but it was a hell of a lot of fun doing it. Used an Iwata DA airbrush for the job. Hard to clearcoat with such a small brush though.

Powdercoat is MUUUUCCHhhh more durable, but kind of bland for me. The louder the bike, the more I like it. Mine has a total of 11 different colors/shades.

Probably not the cheapest way, but fun and you can say you did it yourself.

Lance

Quote | Reply
The quote I got was from Toby's Cycle Works (604) 255-9698. After phoning a few bike stores looking for a place to get the frame dipped, they seemed like the best option for an inexpensive professional job. I read a few articles that basically said I could do it myself by leting the frame soak in a vat of solvent for a few days, but I'll be damned if I know how to safely dispose of that much solvent once I'm done! This seemed like a cleaner solution. I've heard rumours that Hudson Plating will powdercoat a frame for around $100, but I think I'd rather stick to a bike company rather than a manufacturer who's willing to powdercoat anything for a buck. I mean, what do I do if it sucks?

I also took the frame down to La Bicicletta to have it inspected, and learned that my rear triangle is out of allignment. Guess who they recommended as the best place to have it fixed? (and no - they weren't the ones that suggested Toby's for the paint job).

Another name I've heard kicked around is Randy Cunningham, but other than knowing the name, no-one seems to know how to get a hold of him.

What did deKerf quote you for the job? I've always kind of liked those bikes...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm... It would appear that deKerf can rival Toby's price, but with wet paint and clear coat. Good to know.

Pricing:

All prices in US$.
All prices include removal of previous coating.
All Dekerf frames include newly applied decals.

Single colour 145
Extra colour (faded) +30
'Toxic Flamejob' 275
'BC High Test' 325
Paint fork to match +50(can vary)
Upcharge for carbon frames +50

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I painted my own.... [Dr. Doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good, man - but the name of this particular game is the best possible job for the lowest possible cost. One day when I take a frame building course and build my own frame, I'll paint it myself too. (Then get into lots of trouble when I try to build my own wheels!)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply