Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ??
Quote | Reply
I spent some time doing some searches on forums researching options for wide tri shoes....seems like Bont, D2 and Shimano are shoes that work well for folks with wide feet.

I have wide feet and wear orthotics which makes the volume of my feet even larger. Based on Bont sizing charts I measured my feet and they are 238 long and 100 wide...seems the Bont wide shoes might fit in 39 but I've only seen the standard with available. Over the years I have bought size 40 in all my cycling shoes and best fit were Shimano cycling shoes in men's wide. My shoes I have been wearing since 2004/2005 are wearing out.

Early on I started wearing Shimano men's wide road shoes for most of my training. I had the bottom of the line LG tri shoes I'd wear for sprints or olys and a few times before those races. As I started training for longer races, I found my right foot in the 3/4 metatarsal area would go numb and spread if I rode 4.5+ hours and it was over 90. I have morton's feet so my first metatarsal is shorter than my second on both my feet. I had some cycling orthotics made by Bill Petersen in AZ, and it may have helped but I still have numb feet issues on long and hot rides. I had my left knee scoped last June, have some continuing knee issues and my left quad strength is less than right and for some reason LG tri shoes felt more comfortable to ride in.

Last year I bought Sidi Megas that don't quite fit right..they are wide but seems volume is less and they bother top of my foot. I tried new HRS LG tri shoes and the forefoot feels significantly smaller than mine that are from '04..suspect mine are stretched out. I tried on Shimano TR 52 and they seemed better.

Considering going with custom shoes from D2. I spoke to Don at D2 and I was impressed. I suspect I have been wearing to long of shoes to get width needed for my feet which may have caused my cleats to be to far forward.

I'm okay with road shoes for training and HIM or IMs. I like tri shoes for sprints or olys.

Suggestions?

Those that have D2 custom shoes: how was the process? love the shoes? solved your issues?

Anyone get custom Bont shoes?

Thanks!
Kathy
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had D2 shoes now for about 18 months and couldn't be happier. I sufferred from a right foot which was wider (with a bunion) than my left. Had a fitting/mesurement done at Pro Peloton in Boulder for the shoes, answered a few questions from Don over the phone, and a few weeks later I had my shoes. The quality was great and the pain in my right big toe was just about eliminated.

I'm thinking about getting D2 tri shoes despite the cost because my experience was so good.

"I learned from the example of my father that the manner in which one endures what must be endured is more important than the thing that must be endured"

http://myfirstironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had shoe fit problems for years, tried a few other custom shoe makers, and then finally went to D2 in person. I have feet that are wide in the front, narrow in the rear, and are different sizes. D2 made the first pair of cycling shoes that fit me in nearly two decades of riding and did it on the first attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should give Northwave a try as well - they tend to be wider in the forefoot than either Shimano or Garneau. I've worn Lake, Shimano, Sidi and Garneau and found them all to be too narrow but love my NWs.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the NWs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have stock Bonts that I heat molded at home. I actually had to size UP from my normal size by 0.5. They are wide, and have a nice deep toebox for orthotics. It usually takes a couple of tries to get the molding right (but they can be remolded in your over infinitely).

Data point: I was talking to a shop owner who had several customers order from Bont's custom program (complete foot mold). All of the shoes came back wrong and he was quite frustrated and definitely wouldn't recommend them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I have stock Bonts that I heat molded at home. I actually had to size UP from my normal size by 0.5. They are wide, and have a nice deep toebox for orthotics. It usually takes a couple of tries to get the molding right (but they can be remolded in your over infinitely).

Data point: I was talking to a shop owner who had several customers order from Bont's custom program (complete foot mold). All of the shoes came back wrong and he was quite frustrated and definitely wouldn't recommend them.

Good to know....not good on the custom option of Bonts

I ordered some Bonts from Bonktown so I can try them on to see if they fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear 4E orthopedic shoes and have had no problems with my Time tri shoes. Although they are ugly white, they are quite wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got custom D2's and really like them. You can search my user name and D2 to get all the info on them (plus some snazzy pics!)

After ~3yrs the things I am noticing is the leather in the front of the shoes is kind of beat up as is the neoprene on the tongue area.

All in all I dig them. They are as stiff as anything on the market. They are as comfy after 4.5 hours as they are after 2 minutes of wear. When you think about how much you spend on cycling shoes in 2-3 years searching for that elusive awesome fit, they are actually less expensive.

I use mine for every ride, race bike or tri long or short course. I'd never go back to stock shoes after going custom. I might try a different brand of custom at some point, but stock shoes over the years have typically been shit for fit for my feet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 4, 11 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I. When you think about how much you spend on cycling shoes in 2-3 years searching for that elusive awesome fit, they are actually less expensive.

I use mine for every ride, race bike or tri long or short course. I'd never go back to stock shoes after going custom. I might try a different brand of custom at some point, but stock shoes over the years have typically been shit for fit for my feet.

I think the point you made in other threads that getting custom shoes is less expensive long term stuck with me as well as that they fit better.

The Bonts and LG I have I can return which is what I'm thinking about doing.

Need to get my husband on board with the idea of custom shoes.

After getting new Ordu w/Zipps and Quarq last year for our 25th wedding Anniversary, having frame ruined by Fed Express ground last month shipping it, not sure how much I can push the custom shoe route.

I showed my daughter's D2 photos and asked them for helping designing colors if I go that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager's shoes run wide in the toe box, I use their road and tri shoes. I don't find Shimano to be wide at all. The Bont's I tried (A one and sub 8) were very awkward feeling, but I didn't try to mold them. I'm not a fan of the thick patent leather they use. I didn't want to mold them and risk losing the option to return 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [C. Bandicoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 on the NW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an Ordu, Fedex did you a favor, now you can tell him you want a Shiv & custom shoes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, bont shoes are not that wide. I am using the sub 8 in normal width and it took me 5 or 6 times to get them to the point that my feet wouldn't hurt really bad due to pressure on my toe bones.

If you are considering bont shoes, you may want to look into the wide option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I searched high and low and found Scott Tri Carbon to be wide enough on the toe box and also around my foot. However, they are kinda pricey ($270), so I ended up buying a Scott Tri Pro (Fiberglass sole) on sale for $70 (with coupon on Left Lane) and spent $40 at a local shoe repair place to lengthen the straps. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Faghihifar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After my wide foot got tired of being in Shimano's longer than three hours, I switched to Lake. They have some starting just over $100, and others up to $350. But every price point has a WIDE model called out.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Lake model?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Shawn F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have at least three tri shoes marked as wide. I'm not sure what model mine are, I've had them a couple years now.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano wide or Lake wide, those are the two best options on the market today.Often the road shoes are easier to find then tri specific shoes. My personal opinion is the best wide shoe on the market today is the Shimano SH-RC9 S-PHYRE road shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh....OP thread is from 2011!!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And wide feet in 2018 STILL need cycling shoes-who knew đŸ˜‰

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North wave are my Tri shoe.
Sedi mega are my road shoes.
I wish Sedi would make their Tri shoes in Mega, but no.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoes for wide feet...D2 or ?? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have pretty wide feet, wide enough that i can only wear Altra running shoes without toe problems,. My feet are wide at the toe area, but most EE width shoes are to wide midfoot and heal. I have had success with the Specialized S-Works Tri-vents, they are very pricy, but they work for me. They look narrow but work great.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply