Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ?
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I have a question concerning an article written for xtri awhile ago. It was titled "Getting Fast Fast".

You stated that the person should continue doing the intervals as long as they were capable of reaching the speed of 27 mph. But what if the person is unable to maintain the rest interval speed? Do they stop there also?

Also if the my interval duration is only 1 min.(based on your calculations of 2/3's of time trial), is that enough or is more time needed? Does a person need to use a smaller goal mph to get more interval time?

Thanks for your help. I think this interval training would really benifit my preparation for my next race.

Pasted below is some of the article:

To make the intervals effective, first determine your goal. For example:
- let’s say you want to break one hour in a 40km bike segment of an international distance triathlon.
- this means your goal is to go 24.8 miles per hour average speed for 59:59.0.
- your goal Interval Speed (IS) will then be 110% of this. 24.8 x 1.1 = 27.28 mph which we’ll round down to 27 even.

Now, perform a test. On your indoor trainer (preferably a CompuTrainer programmed for a flat course, no wind), do a good warm-up and then do a time trial where you ride at your IS (Interval Speed) precisely (in this case exactly 27mph) for as long as you can. Record the time. For the purposes of our example let’s say you lasted 4:00. Now, take two thirds of this time: 2m 40s. This is the length of your “work” interval and your “rest” interval.

Finally, subtract the 10% (2.5mph) from your goal of 25 mph and use that precisely as your rest work load or speed. We’ll round down to 22 mph for the purposes of keeping the interval session easier to control and understand.

Before we begin, let’s review: Your goal is to ride 24.8 mph for 40 km, or 40 kph for one hour. This makes your bike split in an international distance triathlon exactly one hour. To achieve this you have calculated your interval speed needs to be 27 mph and your rest speed needs to be 22 mph. The duration of your interval is 2:40 based on 2/3rds (66%) of your time trial to determine how long you could maintain 27mph. So;

Goal: 24.8 Miles in 1:00:00.
Interval Speed: 27 mph.
Rest Speed: 22 mph.
Interval Duration: 2:40.
Rest Duration: 2:40.

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ? [ShaRRky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Tom gets some time to answer your question.

It appears that you are looking for a hard workout. Different type's of Intervals do different types of things to your body. Tom's article sounds like a great workout. I would experiment with different types of intervals to see what gives you the best improvement it may be Tom's workout it may be something different.

A modification of someone's interval workout may be just what the body needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ? [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone please post a link to this article. Did a search on Google and xtri.com. No results.

Any help appreciated
maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ? [mauric6943] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maurice,

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=315

Try this link. If the link doesn't work. Go to xtri.com and at the top is columns, then bike tech, then at the bottom pick next page. Should be the one right at the top.

The article is Named "Get Fast Fast". Hope this helps. I do hope Tom D. could shed more info.

Regards

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Bump for Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ? [ShaRRky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a bump to see if Tom will reply. Maybe he is racing or very busy with the business.

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Re: Bump for Tom Demerly - Getting Fast Fast xtri article ? [ShaRRky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just in the shop today. Full of customers, and all the employees working on building bikes. As I was there he had a Cannondale Ironman 2000 and a Cervelo P3 that he had just finished fitting headed out the door to a nice couple just getting started in triathlons. It was pretty neat actually, but I don't think it's going to help you out much about right now. You could always try calling the store if you really want an answer to your question. But if you do, could you post his response here?

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply