Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals - best choice?
Quote | Reply
Ive have some old campagnolo pedals (look cleats, 300 gr.) that are dying now, a will be useless within weeks so I need to buy some new ones.

There are all kinds of pedals on the market in a lot of different designs: Speedplay, SPD-R, Look, ORB etc. Some of these are used for decades and others more modern.

I dont know what to buy, so does any of your have any experiences of whats the best overall choice (concerning the overall weight and how confortable they are!).

Lars
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - best choice? [Lars75K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that you will get lots of speedplay votes from this audience but I think if you like your campy's go with something similar, maybe Looks or the new Shimano DA. I think the looks have more float then the DA if that matters.
When looking at weight you have to remember the cleat+pedal which some co's don't mention, only list pedal.
Also comfort, contact patch, float, entry/exit is more important the weight in my book.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Speedplays. I hear the new Zero's are even better. Check out Tom Demerly's website for a review: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/speed0.shtml

Other pedals to consider (in my opinion) are the Crank Bros EggBeaters, and the Coombe Pro's. All these pedals demand excellent shoe stiffness, but have insane cornering clearance, light weight, low maintenance, and are relatively simple mechanisms - a boon to reliabilty in my opinion.

I cut my teeth on look-style Shimano 105's and while they were a good pedal for me at the time, I've since moved on.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at pedals a lot lately. I have been riding Looks since day one, and I have considered switching. The look bearings are not repackable (like the used to be) and are breaking down rather quickly. Besides they are FRENCH manufactured (enough said---okay, I don't really care that much, if they were durable I could live with them). The speed plays don't really do much for me, but I was interested in some of the Time products. I have Time mountain bike pedals and like them. Has anyone had success with Time Pedals---especially on the durability front. I was also considering buying one of the off Look brands and testing those out as well. Anyone had any experience with those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Love my Keywin CRM Road pedals, but their not too common here in the states (New Zealand manufacturer). Look-sized platform, light weight and a positive engagement (requires an inward twist of the heel). http://www.keywin.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding Looks since day one and see no reason to change.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - best choice? [TCB Special] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time makes some very nice pedals. If you were a road racer, I'd definitely recommend that you check them out. They've changed the body a bit since the days when the Equipe Mag was their flagship model (and the last time I looked into them), but the overall design is still the same - similar to the Looks, it's based on a ski-binding type of principle. The problem I have with Time pedals for triathletes is that the cleats wear out pretty quickly (all those transition runs), and they're dangerous with worn pedals - prone to accidental pulling out. If you regularly inspect and replace your cleats this will never be a problem, but if you're anything like me and check them maybe 2x/season, you run a big risk. Having said that, I do like Time products.

(Time is French as well though - if it bugs you)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the platform style pedals. I have had look on my road bike since I bought it, I bought a new tri bike about a month ago and I asked for looks and the guy says i have something you may be interested in, and pulls out the new Shimano SPD-SL ultegra pedals. They are lighter, have a lower profile and cleaner looking, how could I say no? They feel about the same to me as the looks, easy enough to get into and out of also.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals - best choice? [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the SPD-SL DA ones for about 3-4 months now. I like the relatively larger platform they provide compared to the alternatives.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to second the Keywin's!!! Super Light (as light as Speedplay) Lots of adjustability, and Huge Platform for comfort. I have also had good luck with Looks, but compared to the Keywin's they are Tanks!
Corbin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the new Time pedals and have had them since September. I really like them. They roll nicely, have a good cleat, large platform, and are infinitely adjustable. I rode speedplays for a long time, but I seemed to get a consistent wear pattern on the spindle from the cleat. My last pair also froze up on a bike ride, and they probably only had a couple thousand miles on them. I also like the more solid feeling that I think that the Time have over the speedplay.

I ride the eggbeaters on my mountain bike. They have a very similar mechanism to the time mtb pedals. They are great, but I wouldn't want them on the roads, don't ask me why. You really don't have that much contact/platform with them.

The next pair of pedas I get will be the new Shimanos. On my suggestion, a friend of mine just got the dura ace pedals to replace his archaic look based/shimano 105 or ultegra pedals. He can't say enough good stuff about them.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seven years on Speedplay X-2 pedals (two pairs - one for each bike), I recently bought Shimano Dura Ace SPD-R pedals. I got the setup just right from the start and find the float just about enough with the yellow cleat version. I haven't tested them against the Speedplays, but I suspect they provide a better power transfer than the Speedplays by perhaps five watts as they eliminate some of the side-to-side play you get with the lollipop Speedplays.

I'll still use Speedplays when I want to give my knees some extra leeway, but I'm pretty sold on the Shimano pedals. One added bonus is that they eliminate the need for cleat covers as the cleats are finished with a slightly tacky bottom that makes walking in them very stable.

-David in Taipei

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply