Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

steel is real...
Quote | Reply
After reading a thread or two on the nostalgia many of you have for your old steel bikes, I'm now starting my search for a steel road bike for my off-season training. As I looked, I realized there are a lot of different types, eg. reynolds, columbus, etc. Is there a resource around that can discuss the pros/cons of these different types of steel frames?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: steel is real... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know a specific resource, but as a longtime steel rider I give this observation.

It's not the brand of steel, it's how it's put together. Any top-drawer steel frame will come with the best tubing. Your task is to choose the geometry, tube diameter (ie, stiffness), features, color, etc. that make you excited to get on your bike.

It's all good, so don't get "analysis paralysis" over the decision. The Italian bikes all have the right geometry. The top N. American steel makers do, too (Cervelo, Sachs, Rivendell, Holland, Serotta). Talk with the builders of the N. American makers directly. Talk with a good retailer about the Italian brands. Don't try to get the decision about what alloy to buy perfect. Frankly, I think the color of the bike is more important once you're dealing with the best tubing (the tubing is all the same at this level). After all, if you don't love your bike, will you ride it?

When I got it narrowed down, I realized there were several choices that would suit me. I went with a custom Holland because (a) he's here in San Diego and I could visit in person, and (b) his painter, Joe Bell, does stunningly beautiful work. My bike is Tange Prestige tubing, and I asked Holland last summer if there was anything better out today, and he said no, it's all the same -- just new names and marketing brochures.

By the way, I bought my current frame in 1991. It's been through 3 complete gruppo upgrades, 4-5 sets of wheels and bars and seats, one top tube replacement and two carbon forks. But the frame is still state of the art, and weighs less than a commercial titanium frame of similar size, geometry and stiffness.

Steel is real!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds, Columbus, Ishiwata, Tange, etc. all made some superb tubing but also some more consumer grade. I know there is a website out there about this but don't have the url. A good place to ask might be the newsgroup rec.bicycles.tech
Quote Reply
Re: steel is real... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And True Temper too. The waterford R-33 uses TT tubing and is one sweet frame!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I accidentally stumbled on this and was very glad to find it. It's the only such comprehensive list I've ever found.

http://www.strongframes.com/frames/tubing/

BTW, Strong Frames is selling their demo fleet on Ebay for some really good prices.

No affiliation.

Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No specific resources for you, but I agree with the general trend here - all the top-shef steel tubes are approximately equivalent, but the builder is what truly determines the ride characteristics. Find yourself a master framebuilder and let him help you select the best geometry and tubeset for you. You will not be disappointed if you select a true craftsman to build your frame. If you don't know of one in your area, post - I'm sure someone here does. (Or just give Ves a call and build that mutha out of 753!)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: steel is real... [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWESOME chart. Much of what I was looking for! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went to be fitted for my Peter Mooney frame, Peter gave me a tour of his shop. Trying to seem at least modestly knowledgeable and interested in the technical details, I asked him why he used Dedacciai 01 in his frames rather than some other steel. His response: "It's easy to file."

http://www.peter-mooney.com/

David Schoonmaker
Quote Reply
Re: steel is real... [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any opinions out there about Landshark frames?
Quote Reply
Re: steel is real... [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any opinions out there about Landshark frames?

I've seen them and examined them quite closely. Even rode one around a parking lot. I visited the shop back in 1991 when I was on my last frame search.

By all accounts, and by my inspection, they are top-notch frames built with great care. As good as it gets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't neglect some new-old stock GT Course frames. I found one for all of $200 brand-new!!! It is made of 853 (like the Shaklee frames), is reasonably light, and has one sweet ride. I am now upgrading the fork to a Look HSC3 to lighten it a bit further.
Quote Reply