Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I Pathetic?
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling absolutely pathetic and lazy... Here's why..... I started to get the flu last Wednesday February 23rd. I was able to get a morning workout in but then the body aches started in. On Thursday I started to feel like someone was beating me up in my sleep and started running a temperature so I skipped my workouts this somewhat mild going to worse feeling continued on to Friday so I didn't do any workouts on Friday hoping to get my long workouts in on the weekend... WELL MY BODY HAD OTHER IDEAS... By Saturday I was completely bed ridden and couldn't move, I was having night sweats and bad, bad sinus pressure which continued into Sunday. By Sunday I decided that I no longer had the flu, that I had progressed into a sinus infection so I went to the First Med Walk In Clinic. As usual I was diagnosed with the flu and a sinus infection. Monday I had started taking antibiotics but was still running a mild grade temperature and had to get up to go plow so didn't get a full nights sleep along with a full day at work. Tuesday I was starting to get antsy but after work I was tired and skipped yet another workout... It was a swim workout and since I was still coughing and my sinuses were starting to drain I decided to skip. Wednesday I finally got in a 75 min easy trainer ride but on Thursday when I got home I was to exhausted to go swim or run... HOWEVER today its suppose to 51 degrees out in Iowa and that is the warmest its been all year so I'm pumped to go running when I get off work. Basically this week I've gotten in one workout.... Is this pathetic and am I honestly being lazy or am I doing the right thing by laying off?

On a side note.. I'm under a TON of stress... My only grandparent (my grandpa) was diagnosed with MERSA a blood infection that cant be cured. They decided last Friday to take him off IV medications and he's now on oral antiobiotics and pain killers. He got home last Friday and as of yesterday they had to double his pain killers because he's in so much pain. I'm trying to remain calm and relaxed about training because he really only has maybe a week or two left so I figured I should be more focused on him than my training since this is the last time I'll have with him but I'm starting to feel guilty about slacking on my training... WHY DO I FEEL PATHETIC ABOUT NOT TRAINING??!?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Pathetic? [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you are not pathetic,,,,,,just human. Give your body a chance to heal and then comeback strong! Things will get better I assure you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you are not pathetic.

When everything else is all over the place I would guess the training provides some structure, focus and familiarity. However it sounds like you are pretty poorly with the virus and secondary infection so it is important to give your body time to recover. You will come through it and then slowly feed back in to the training and pace yourself as you do. The last thing you need is to push too hard and take a further set back.

Hang in there. Best wishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) no you are not pathetic. Sometimes life has other ideas about what we need to be doing. And so it goes.

B) Where in Iowa are you? (Have I asked you this before??) I am an Iowa native...always good to connect with the homepeeps.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you are not pathetic. When you are ill you need to rest. Also when you do start exercising again you may want to start slow. The other thing is if you have a lot of other family stressors and limited time to exercise do less. Some exercise is better than nothing but again be cautious and take it easy on yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like this is sort of asking someone "does this dress make me look fat?" to which there is only one answer ("no") but here are my thoughts.

as someone else mentioned, training provides structure. It also gives us the feeling of accomplishing something. "laying in bed resting and taking care of myself" does not have, for me at least, nearly the same feeling of accomplishment (or structure for that matter). There's also the endorphin withdrawal.

Fever = no training. Nose/sinus stuff I go swim because blowing air out your nose is a good way to get rid of boogers. YRMV.

edit to add: the best thing you can do is a 20 min walk or so when you've got a cold, boosts one's immune system w/o stressing it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 4, 11 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Pathetic? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get nervous going to the swimming pool with a sinus infection due to the fact that even when I don't have a sinus infection I'm already hacking and clearing things out so I don't want to make it worse but I was going to go swimming this morning but slept right through my alarm which is something I NEVER do so I figured I needed the sleep more than doing a swim workout so I did an easy lifting session at home for 45 minutes which made me feel like I accomplished something.. I was going to run but it started to rain here and the temperatures are dropping from 51 degrees down to 42 already so I figured being wet and cold probably wasn't the smartest thing for me. I'm planning on either running tomorrow or swimming tomorrow... Not sure which.. I agree with laying in bed makes me feel like accomplished nothing so instead of driving to the post office today I walked my two weims to the post office since it was so beautiful.. The puppies had fun and I got a decent power walk out of it...
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Pathetic? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from the Quad Cities... Davenport, Bettendorf area on the far east side of the state... Gotta love the Iowa weather... It was 55 degrees sun shining and beautiful at 1pm and I came home to run and its not 38 degrees and pouring rain for the last 4 hours... gggrrrr.... I love Iowa but the weather is another thing.. hahaha..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have actual flu (which sems to be the case), then skipping your workouts is a good idea. Necessary, even. Influenza (i.e. not just a bad cold) is a serious illness-- it can kill people! It will knock you out for at least 1 week, maybe longer. Take the time to recover from it. I had the flu once many years ago-- it's not anything I will ever confuse with a cold again. It was miserable, and I didn't work out for about a week, and felt pretty weak for some time afterwards. It's definitely not worth compromising your season at this point of the year-- get lots of sleep, drink lots of water/tea/other hot beverages and allow your body to recover from it!
Last edited by: altocinco: Mar 4, 11 17:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifting and the walk to the post office sound like they were a perfect "solution" to the need to rest vs desire to train.

Hope you feel better soon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Am I Pathetic? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too true. The walk in the fresh air is good and it has been proven time after time that a small amount of quality time with your dogs has a calming effect when the world around you is going nuts and a good endorphin release too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tayjay wrote:
I'm from the Quad Cities... Davenport, Bettendorf area on the far east side of the state... Gotta love the Iowa weather... It was 55 degrees sun shining and beautiful at 1pm and I came home to run and its not 38 degrees and pouring rain for the last 4 hours... gggrrrr.... I love Iowa but the weather is another thing.. hahaha..

I think maybe I did ask you this. I'm from bettendorf. Went to PV. IIRC, you're a bit younger than I am, right?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Re: Am I Pathetic? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to PV to... Graduated from Bettendorf in the end though. I'm probably a bit younger than you.. I'm 26. I'm not sure you've met me but you know me now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tayjay,

MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to some antibiotics, and it can be contagious. If you have been in contact with your grandfather, or the setting that he has been in, you might want to consult with a health care provider.

For more info, read here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...edhealth/PMH0004520/

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am 34...graduated in 95.

I probably had a lot of your classmates at daycamp/playground/sports though, when I worked for the City :D (How depressing is that :p)

You must have graduated in, what...03? Did you know Mike Martin or Matt Brown? I think they graduated in 01, though, so a bit older than you, too. You weren't a tennis player at all, were you?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply