Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seattle folks - help!
Quote | Reply
Hello all - I need some advice from Seattle-area drivers

I'm going to be driving from Vancouver to IM CdA. I'm trying to choose a route, and need help deciding between highway 2 and interstate 90. Yahoo maps tells me to take I-90, but Hwy2 seems more direct. Is Hwy2 a donkey track, or something, such that I-90 is faster despite the longer distance?

Also, I'll be passing through Seattle around 8am on Friday. Will the traffic on the I-5 be so bad that turning off at the 2 would be better?

For bonus points, can anyone compare these two choices with taking Hwy 1 through B.C. until I get to Rossland and then driving into the states?

Thanks very much
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle folks - help! [canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally would take I-5 until you get to around Lynnwood and then take I-405 to I-90. This way you can skip going through Seattle all together. Highway 2 would be a bad choice, more of the scenic tour than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me I'd take Highway 1 in BC and then drop down. You probably know the border crossings at the Peace Arch and at Blaine are terrible, especially in the Summer. The border crossing above CDA is small, but there is little traffic and once across it's just a short drive and you are there. I would avoid the entire greater Seattle metropolitan area at rush hour on a weekday. Besides, both Highway 2 and I-90 are quite boring drives.
Quote Reply
Ditto that [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the Hwy 1 route, but ifyou're go ing south first, the 405 to I-90 is the way to go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what yahoo maps doesn't say is that there are traffic lights on highway 2 as it goes through the small towns and it's 2 lane most of the way. It is definitely a slower drive, plus the speed limit is lower on hwy 2. My suggestion is to listen to the traffic report as you approach the 405 turn-off and make the decision then. I have always taken i-5 since mileage is about the same and 405 always seems worse to me. I think KIRO 710 on the AM dial has traffic every 10 minutes. Once you get to issaquah ,20km east of seattle, it's clear sailing. Good luck at CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle folks - help! [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. Looks like the I-90 is definitely the way to go. Glad I asked.

For the bit through metro Seattle, are there carpool lanes on the 405 or the I-5? If so, do two people and a litespeed qualify as a carpool?

Thanks again folks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes 2 people count as a car pool. I-5 actually has express lanes but unfortunately you can't get to I-90 from them. So stick with 405 which has a carpool (HOV) lane the whole length from Lynwood to Bellevue.
Quote Reply