Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buffalo Springs 1/2 IM - any tips
Quote | Reply
I'm going for my second try at the Lubbock 1/2 IM. Does anyone have any last minute tips for me?

One big question I have is should I run or walk the hills? Last year I saw a line of people walking this monster of a hill and I thought to myself, "I've never walked a hill in my life, I'm not going to walk this one!". About 1/3 of the way up I started to walk. It just seemed like the people who were running weren't going much faster but where burning a lot of energy. I'm 6'1" @ 162 lbs for about 8% body fat, so I'm not hauling a lot of extra weight around, but I'm also not one of those 145lbs mountain goats.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo Springs 1/2 IM - any tips [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the race for the first time this year myself. I have talked to a few very good triathletes about this exact same thing. There advice was that the bike is harder than it looks so save some. Walk the first monster hill. They also recomend walking every support station and DRINK DRINK DRINK. The temps can be tough. See ya there.

1*
Quote Reply
Re: What I screwed up last year [Slider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I royally screwed up last year, I didn't drink enough on the bike. The humidity is so low I didn't realize how hot it was. About 30' from the end of the bike I started drinking to make up for the loss, but of course it was too late. All the water in my stomach made me cramp horribly for the run and it was a death march until about mile 9 when I finally got everything straigthened out.

This year I will start drinking water right after the first set of hills on the bike, then stop drinking water about 20' from the end of the bike so that I start the run a little empty.

The advice you got about the bike is absolutely correct. Although the multiple out and backs on the course have you riding in every direction, the wind will always be against you. The hills are obscene, and the heat just sucks the energy out of you.

All in all, this race is a real SOB, and I am looking forward to kicking its butt this year as opposed to the spanking I received last year.
Quote Reply