Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caloric needs calculations
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

So I have been searching the various forums on the topic and have found some good information on daily caloric needs/BMR, etc. but I had a few questions.

From what I understand, there are two main calculations that you can use to estimate your BMR and daily caloric needs - the Harris Benedict equation and the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation. When I calculated each of them, my BMR came out a little different (which would make sense if the second one is more conservative in estimation). Anyway, here is what I got for the basic calculations:

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years ) = ~1459
-or-
BMR = 10 (wt. in kg) + 6.25 (ht. in cm) - 5 (age) -161 = ~1388 (using the Mifflin-St. Jeor)

Now, on top of this do I add more based on physical activity levels, or just factor in how many calories per day I actually burn through exercise if I want to maintain my current weight? I was confused - because some things I have read said to multiply by a number based on how many days per week I exercise/general activity level to get daily caloric needs. Is this because more active people have a higher metabolism? Or, instead of multiplying by a set factor, should I just adjust my caloric intake each day based on how many calories I actually burn through exercise?

If I were to do both, it seems like I would be eating a ton more calories than I am used to eating. I know it's all approximations, but was hoping someone could clarify...sorry if I'm being overbearing. I'm just trying to get a good handle on my eating this year and wanted to gather all the info possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Caloric needs calculations [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are always just going to be guesses. If you really want to know your BMR then find a good qualified sports nutritionist and get tested. The sports nutritionist I go to charges $55 for the BMR test. Also, talking to a sports nutritionist can interpret the results for you and advise you on your diet to lose or maintain weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The BMR times some multiplier (ie, " I am moderately active so I will multiply by 1.2 [or whatever the number is]") is a general, not-go-crazy way to do it. Whatever that multiplier takes into account daily work/errand activity and workouts.

Or, as you mentioned, you can figure out "Exactly" how many calories you burn sbr each day and add it on. *With this, you need to add a couple hundred calories for energy expenditure when you're not exercising but are up and about doing housework, errands, etc. This is because BMR is the calories you'd need if you stayed in bed all day, and clearly you don't do that.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, if you're a techie and want information on a continuing basis, investigate the BodyBugg. It's a computer worn on your upper arm that costs about $200. I'm on my 3rd device and after 4 years of food logging, can track both calories in and out with great accuracy (~90-95%).

It's available at Costco and 24 Hour Fitness.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only been tracking calories for the past week or so, but I took my BMR (using Harris Benedict) x 1.2 (for sedentary, since I sit most of the day) to get my basic daily needs. Then I add in the calories burned for whatever exercise I did that day. THIS DID NOT WORK! Calculations said I should have lost .8 lbs, and I dropped 1.5. Now, who knows if that is due to random weight fluctuations (1 trial isn't very much for reliability!) or the fact that I just finished my period (i.e., all that bloating is over!)

Anyway, this week I'm going to try BMR * 1.375 (light active) + daily exercise. It looks like this last week that would have worked out correctly to what I actually lost. I'll keep you updated!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply