Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit saga...
Quote | Reply
what is the deal with everyone claiming wetsuits should be banned!

what about aero bars? socks? they make me run faster. Swim caps? tight fitting race suits?

shouldnt all these be illegal. They advantage some more than others.

wetsuits are here to stay.
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [radioactiveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The beef some people have with wetsuits is that they tend to help the weaker swimmers(such as myself) much more than they benefit strong swimmers. However, they are a true safety device both for bouyancy and to prevent hyperthermia. They're definately here to stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they're being used for actual cold water situation, say Alcatraz. I've got no beef with them. But when you're talking 75 degree water, you're at no risk of hypothermia for anything shy of a full Ironman, and even then that's really really borderline for a very small percentage of the field. And when people start using them as a crutch, and they're afraid to swim without them (like I've seen some people post) even for a 400M sprint in calm conditions, then they don't belong in the race.

I'm a strong swimmer, but inexperienced biker. There are tris out there I will not do right now because I'd feel like I can't handle my bike well enough on a highly technical course. I'm not gonna whine about how the bike course is too hard without some bike gizmo. I'm gonna go out there and work on my handling skills until I feel confident I'm not a menace to myself and others during the race.

Do the same thing with swimming and quit whining when the water temp hits 79.

I've actually waded through the USAT bike rules, and there are quite a few things that are banned in relation to allowable bikes. (no recumbants comes to mind)
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a pretty good explanation. ill agree with that
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits obvious purpose is to keep you warm. The rules governing when they may or may not be worn cause some irritation among very fast swimmers since in addition to keeping you warm, they help you swim faster. However, the disadvantage to a good swimmer when wetsuits are allowed is no different than giving a disadvantage to a strong cyclist by choosing a very flat bike course, or for the runner when a race bike course gets lengthened (from say 25k to 33k ... it happened to me last year and I must still be bitter :) ) and the run course stays the same length. Everyone has the choice (just like the choice to add aerobars to your bike) to wear one or not provided it is within accordance of the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Australia, wetsuits are definitely not here to stay...Triathlon Australia and their state associations who control the sanctioning process appear to be standing firm on limitung the use of wetsuits to cold conditons only. The main justification for prohibiting wetsuits (in addition to concern about their bouyancy/ assistance they provide - afterall a wetsuit in the swim is akin to rollerblades on the run) is to to with heat issues...this is a really interesting debate. On the one hand they are claimed to be a safety device because of their flotation assistance. On the other hand they are deemed dangerous above a certain temperature because of overheating concerns.
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think this is a tough call. Theres a water temp cut off for them, to my knowledge. Are we saying that that cutoff temp should be lowered? Everyone reacts to hot and cold differently---and also theres some age related cold/hot issues as well. I know at a pool i used to swim at, it was frickin hot like 83 degrees and the old men (like 70 yr olds) were talking about how the water is almost too cold.

I think for the majority of newbie triathletes---the swim is the most feared. And so, having that wetsuit is a crutch, but its a crutch to get them through that first season or two until they do become better swimmers. So maybe serious races like Nationals or major USAT sanctioned races WF, Mrs T's, etc should not allow wetsuits---but whats the harm in a sprint tri? I like wetsuits, im a poorer swimmer yes, so i like the rule as it is. Its funny, people want to change the rules to fit what would suit them the best---its not based on any real science.

Now overheating is a major issue---the hottest race i've ever done is WF, and i've never overheated on the swim, that water is always very brisk until like 500m down. I'd be curious to see a study done with triathletes 100 compete in a tri with no wetsuit, the same 100 do the same race with a wetsuit and look at overheating issues later in the day under both conditions. Maybe that has been done, but if it hasnt----then it should be done before a major ruling like that is called.

You know what else helps weaker swimmers and is a detriment to the stronger ones? Drafting on the swim. I've come out minutes faster at races when i got a good draft, rather than when i swam the race mostly by myself for whatever reason. Drafting on the swim helps you more than a wetsuit does. Why dont people want to eliminate that too? Disk wheels? What else?

My first tri---i didnt know how to swim, the water was pretty cold. I was very intimidated--i had no wetsuit (i didnt know about them). And Brad Kearns was the race announcer and he said, "If you dont have a wetsuit....good luck" and laughed an evil laugh i will never forget. This is June in Norcal in a lake.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another issue with the water temperatures can be where it is measured. Last year in Muskoka the water was fine for the first part of the race (in the lake) but the swim ends by swimming up the river that flows into this lake. In my sleeveless QR I was fine in the lake but as soon as I hit the mouth of the river there was a huge temperature drop and I was wishing for a fullsuit (and this was after I was heated up from swimming around 1300m). They'll never be able to keep everyone happy on this issue....
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck anything that gets people to compete i'm for. I've had beginners scared to do the swim heck I was at one time. On the bike you can stop , you can't in the water. No one in this catagory is going to affect placing, If it scares you just make a rule they can't place with the suit . Many who started in a wet suit are now full blown triathletes. Hell "make em wait till they are good at this " is a silly statement! How many tri's have you been at where they mark the swim cap them collect them as you exit then check off numbers to see if anyone drowned? VERY FEW the swim is dangerous. Many things could happen .
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [Geoff Dickson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...On the one hand they are claimed to be a safety device because of their flotation assistance..."

No. If you've ever read any paperwork involving wetsuits, not one of standard design is claimed to be a flotation safety device. Mainly, this is because they still have unsafe modes of flotation. Regardless, while they do add in bouyancy, they are labelled nine ways from Sunday that they are not a lifesaving flotation device. If someone drowns in a wetsuit, and it happens all the time, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they tried litigation against the wetsuit manufacturer. If someone became hypothermic in a high temperature, low time-in-the-water scenario, <i>then</i> you could refer to the manufacturers claims about a wetsuit being a lifesaving device.
Quote Reply
If it helps the sport... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really rely on a wetsuit since I'm not a strong swimmer and I developed an aversion to cold water in the military. Wetsuits add to my enjoyment of the event. I'm not an elite competitor, I'm a hobbyist (although I do sell triathlon bikes for a living). To me the rules are best configured when they facilitate ease of participation for all levels of competitors and participants. A lot of our customers mention swim anxiety as their number 1 concern. I think the wetsuit helps moderate that. Good swimmers still kick my butt, even without a wetsuit. To me, it makes the sport more enjoyable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Hell, I'm not a bad swimmer but on race day I am so damned fatless that I'd freeze to death if it weren't for my wetsuit, save for races like last year's NTC tri where the water was like 85. They almost banned them entirely due to the overheating risk.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit saga... [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This debate has been going on for years. At one time the use of wet suits was a call made by Race directors. As I recall, in a national event (Cleveland I believe) the RD was adamantly against wet suits and lied about the water temp. Several competitors DNF'd due to hyperthermia. After that race, Trifed adopted the 78 degree rule for age groupers.

I'm a strong swimmer and an 'ol guy. I prefer non wet suit swims because I have a competitive advantage. But water temps below 78 chill the crap out of me. Indeed, swimming yesterday in a 79 degree pool I came out with numb toes and fingers. Besides, is a wet suit any different than any other "cheap speed" device? for me the answer is yes. Despite the speed advantage it does serve as a safety device for me and countless others. A disk wheel or a aero helmet serves the former but not the latter.

Bottom line is you have three choices. Race in accordance with the rules. Try and get the rules changed (as the SF Tri club did). Or find another sport. Last word; if you want to blame anyone, blame Slowman. He pioneered wet suits for tri geeks, made a fortune, and retired to the wilds of bum f**k wherever :-).
Quote Reply