Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breast cancer & training
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there training while on breast cancer treatments - i.e chemotherapy? Just had surgery last week and will start treatment in Feb, not sure which treatment yet. Having an athletic goal makes me very happy and optimistic. I can't wait to get back on the bike. And the pool, and the road. Anyone else in this boat or care to share your experience?
Last edited by: Cyclingmama2: Jan 19, 11 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: Breast cancer & training [Cyclingmama2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom did. She did what she could according to her energy level. Are you at risk for lymphadema? If yes, find out what you can about preventing that and keep an eye on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five years ago I was a very fit and lean athlete. "Out of the blue" I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was very determined to keep as much fitness as possible. Every single day I got outside and ran, biked and swam. On the weekends I signed up for races, sometimes twice a weekend. I was not competitive, but I had a great time! Sometimes I felt really awful. Then afterwards I always felt better. My sense of taste would return, etc. After my second round of chemo my doctor commented that I was recovering faster after every treatment. He asked if there was any adrenal gland stimulation from exercise. Yes! My exercise (training) was helping my body. I really pushed myself. Attitude is 95% of cancer treatment.

Best of luck to you!

Jacqueline
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I just helped a friend (a top level triathlete) who did her Masters thesis on Exercise and Cancer Patients, both during and post surgery/chemotherapy. It sounds worse than it is. Tasha, (Gazelle) who posts here can provide real world experience.

Several of the aforementioned side effects of chemotherapy and radiation affect the hematopoietic, pulmonary and cardiovascular systems. All of these systems are integral to generating the physiological response required to meet the increased demand for oxygen during exercise. There are three side effects in particular, that have a high potential to alter exercise physiology in a breast cancer patient or survivor. These side effects, decreased red blood cell (RBC) production, cardiotoxicity and pulmonary toxicity, will be the focus of discussion due to their combined high prevalence and dramatic effect on the response to exercise.
Chemotherapy and radiation can destroy cells in the bone marrow, decreasing its ability to replace used blood cell elements, such as RBCs {{82 Wilkes, G.M. 1996; }}. Decreased RBC production can lead to anemia, which occurs in 30-90% of patients with cancer {{42 Knight,Kevin 2004; }}. Although there are interventions available to treat anemia, such as transfusions and erythropoietin stimulators, very few breast cancer patients actually receive treatment during adjuvant chemotherapy {{199 Goldrick, A. 2007; }}. During exercise in otherwise healthy people, anemia is associated with a reduction of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), an indication of aerobic fitness, and both maximal {{44 Zarychanski, R. 2008; }} and submaximal performance {{43 Sorace, P. 2007}}. The reduced oxygen content of the blood with anemia causes cardiac output and muscle blood flow to increase at a greater rate during exercise, and remain higher relative to the intensity of exercise through the workout {{43 Sorace, P. 2007}}. Due to the alterations in cardiac output, heart rate will increase quicker and remain higher throughout the workout.
Some chemotherapy drugs used to treat breast cancer can cause permanent or transient adverse effects to the myocardium, known as cardiotoxicity. Cardiomyocytes are thought to be damaged by free radical generation leading to oxidative stress {{22 Bird, B.R.J.H. 2008}}. Intracellular calcium influx and overload are also linked with cardiomyocyte membrane damage and cell death, respectively {{374 Shan,Kesavan 1996; }}. Radiation treatment for breast cancer is also associated with cardiotoxicity, and has the potential to affect all structural components of the heart, rather than just the myocardium, as is common with chemotherapy {{58 Berry,Gerald J. 2005; }}. The specific mechanism of Trastuzumab-induced cardiotoxicity is not clearly defined, but there is an increased incidence when used in combination with chemotherapy {{198 Perik,Patrick J. 2007; }}. Cardiotoxicity may present as a variety of clinical manifestations. Some examples include tachycardia, bradycardia, other arrhythmias, decreased left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), diastolic dysfunction, pericarditis, myocarditis, cardiomyopathy, myocardial ischemia, myocardial infarction, and heart failure {{23 Floyd, J.D. 2005; 50 Dempsey, K.S. 2008; 22 Bird, B.R.J.H. 2008}}. Many of the effects of cardiotoxicity are asymptomatic or silent, which often leaves structural changes that may affect cardiac function and performance during exercise undetected. The predominant indicator of cardiotoxicity is decreased contractility of the left ventricle {{84 Ewer,Michael S. 2008; }}. The criterion used to indicate cancer treatment-induced decreased cardiac contractility is a decreased left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), however this measurement, calculated by the stroke volume divided by end diastolic volume, is known to lack sensitivity in detecting cardiomyocyte damage {{84 Ewer,Michael S. 2008; }}. Chemotherapy drugs used to treat breast cancer are some of the most cardiotoxic drugs {{50 Dempsey, K.S. 2008}}, yet, the actual prevalence is likely greatly underestimated by this insensitive measurement technique {{84 Ewer,Michael S. 2008; }}. Most reported prevalence rates cite only severe cases of cardiotoxicity (i.e. heart failure), while the extent of damage that is required to affect the cardiac response to exercise is considerably less. Modern radiation techniques limit the exposure of the heart to the radiation beams, and follow-up with patients who have received this treatment have not shown an increased risk of cardiac disease {{57 Shapiro,Charles L. 2001; }}. However, there is a trend toward higher incidence of cardiac perfusion defects (an indication of heart disease) with increasing volume of left ventricle exposed to radiation {{179 Marks,Lawrence B. 2005; }}. Some of these manifestations of cardiotoxicity discussed would be contraindications to exercise, but for the less severe conditions, and for any damage preceding the conditions, there are changes in the cardiac response to exercise that can be predicted. For example, with decreased myocardial contractility, preload is much less effective in increasing stroke volume; and with arrhythmias, such as bradycardia or tachycardia the relationship between heart rate and oxygen consumption, and thus exercise intensity would be altered.
Pulmonary toxicity can occur through direct or indirect (via a signal transduction pathway) damage leading to cell apoptosis, and a loss of integrity in pulmonary capillaries, leading to loss of lung compliance, decreased gas exchange, and even respiratory failure {{53 Abid,Syed H. 2001; }}. Pulmonary toxicity is much easier to detect than cardiotoxicity. An insidious onset of dyspnea associated with a nonproductive cough is the typical symptom associated with chemotherapy-induced pulmonary toxicity, and can aid in early diagnosis {{53 Abid,Syed H. 2001}}. There is also a test for pulmonary toxicity with enough sensitivity to detect abnormalities prior to symptoms {{55 Camp-Sorrell, D. 2005/s446;}}. The literature shows that pulmonary toxicity is more common in chemotherapy drugs used to treat non-breast cancers, with documented incidence rates of up to 40% {{53 Abid,Syed H. 2001}}. Prevalence has not been assessed for most of the current adjuvant chemotherapy protocols commonly used for breast cancer {{164 Yerushalmi, R. 2009; }}. However, one recent study that specifically investigated pulmonary function following breast cancer chemotherapy, showed a decline in carbon monoxide diffusion capacity, adjusted for hemoglobin levels, in all 34 subjects, while only five reported dyspnea {{164 Yerushalmi, R. 2009; }}. This study suggests that like cardiotoxicity, the prevalence of pulmonary toxicity in breast cancer treatment may be underestimated. Pneumonitis is the clinical syndrome associated with radiation-induced pulmonary toxicity. It is fairly rare, occurring in less than 1% of women treated with radiation alone, with a higher incidence when chemotherapy is given concurrently {{57 Shapiro,Charles L. 2001; }}. Chemotherapy-induced damage to the lungs may ultimately result in restrictive lung disease, decreased lung volume, increased work of breathing and impaired gas exchange {{55 Camp-Sorrell, D. 2005/s446;}}. Hypoxemia will occur as a result of impaired oxygen diffusion coupled with uninterrupted perfusion to damaged areas of the lung {{55 Camp-Sorrell, D. 2005/s446;}}. This low oxygen concentration in the blood results in impaired oxygen delivery to the muscles, especially during exercise.
In summary, chemotherapy and radiation treatment for breast cancer can result in several mechanisms of damage resulting in side effects that alter the hematopoietic, cardiovascular and pulmonary systems. With the knowledge of anemia’s effects in otherwise healthy individuals, the effect of myocardial damage on heart contractility and the effect of impaired gas exchange at the alveoli, an idea of the repercussions of chemotherapy and radiation treatment on the cardiovascular exercise response can be inferred. Specifically, these side effects cause a change in stroke volume, due to decreased myocardial contractility; as well as impaired oxygen delivery, due to impaired oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and impaired gas exchange. At rest and light activity, the cardiovascular system can typically compensate for these impairments in oxygen delivery to tissues through an increase in heart rate to compensate for the decreased stroke volume. Note that cardiac output is calculated as the product of heart rate and stroke volume. However, when exercise is performed, the ability to compensate is not enough to fulfill oxygen requirements of the metabolically active muscles. During exercise in a healthy individual, blood flow is shunted from the less active tissues, via vasoconstriction in viscera arterioles, toward the respiratory muscles and skeletal muscles being used, via vasodilation in skeletal muscle arterioles, enhancing oxygen delivery to these tissues. As the exercise intensity increases, the amount of oxygen consumed and delivered to the exercising muscles increases concurrently {{187 Anonymous 2005/s340;}}. The increased demand for oxygen is met by increased responses in cardiac output and pulmonary oxygen diffusion capacity. Individuals treated for breast cancer may experience decreased responses in these parameters, and the decreased oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, as experienced by most cancer patients, will compound this effect. So for these individuals, an altered response to exercise would occur: delivery is not effectively increased to meet the increased requirement for oxygen, thereby negatively affecting exercise capacity.
With an idea of the specific cardiovascular ramifications of chemotherapy and radiation treatment side effects, an effect on exercise prescription can then be inferred. There are three determinants of oxygen consumption by tissue. The Fick equation states that maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and utilize oxygen during exercise, is equal to the product of cardiac output and arteriovenous oxygen content difference. According to the Fick equation, the first determinant is the rate at which oxygen is transported to the tissues. Blood flow increases very quickly in response to increased heart rate, which increases oxygen transport during exercise. In addition to alterations in the vascular system to redirect blood flow, an increase in blood flow is mediated by an increased cardiac output. However, the decreased cardiac output that would occur when stroke volume is diminished by cardiotoxicity, combined with a diminished ability to increase stroke volume in response to exercise, would limit the increase in blood flow in affected individuals. The second determinant is the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. This determinant is directly affected by anemia, which occurs in up to 90% of cancer patients. The last determinant of oxygen consumption is the amount of oxygen extracted from the blood. Although the arteriovenous oxygen content difference, a measurement of this determinant, can be affected in cancerous cells when compared to normal tissue, it is unknown whether any change occurs in a cancer patient’s skeletal muscle {{182 Beaney,RonaldP. 1984; }}. Maximal oxygen consumption is likely to be negatively affected by these alterations of the determinants of oxygen consumption. The individual’s heart rate response to exercise would also be moderated. Specifically, heart rate would be higher for any given submaximal exercise intensity or workload due to the need for compensation for cardiac output. As will be discussed later, exercise prescription, specifically exercise intensity prescription, is based on the metabolic and/ or heart rate response to exercise.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Breast cancer & training [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was that again?
I will need to read this half a dozen times as a layperson. Thanks so much for posting this, even if it uses terms that are beyond my comprehension. If this is from the masters thesis that your friend wrote can you share what year it was written and if ever published or disputed?

Also just curious about the link and affects of radiation and chemotherapy. Much of what is written starts with "Chemotherapy and radiation..." So just to clarify, wouldn't those two very separate medical treatments result in very separate biological risk? And there are many different kinds of chemotherapy therapies, so I see it says that "some chemotherapy drugs" lead to cardiotoxicity --- thus sounds like it's impossible to know the side effects exercise-wise without knowing the chemo drugs being used, right?

So is it fair to summarize this article this way: some chemotherapy drugs affect the effectiveness of the heart rate in many different ways, so pushing to the limits could lead to heart attack? If I'm missing the point, please do tell!
Last edited by: Cyclingmama2: Jan 20, 11 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, I did not write this thesis, I helped a friend edit it.

http://www.msfhr.org/news/features/2010/06/prescription_exercise

The thrust of this thesis was to examine what were the best methods for creating an exercise regimen for cancer patients and survivors, given the issues described above. The first part of that thesis was to examine the various testing methods and how they were affected by these issues.

Here is what she writes "My general research interests can be summed up in a couple words: exercise physiology of oncology. Exercise is used as an effective rehabilitation therapy for individuals treated for cancer. However, due to toxic and damaging treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation, the physiological response to exercise of a cancer patient cannot be assumed to be the same as an otherwise healthy person. Treatment for breast cancer can cause damage to the heart, lungs and bone marrow (responsible for red blood cell production). The specific area of interest that I intend to pursue for my PhD thesis is the effects of chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer on the cardiovascular system, and implications of those effects for exercise. "

What was that again?
I will need to read this half a dozen times as a layperson. Thanks so much for posting this, even if it uses terms that are beyond my comprehension. If this is from the masters thesis that your friend wrote can you share what year it was written and if ever published or disputed?

Also just curious about the link and affects of radiation and chemotherapy. Much of what is written starts with "Chemotherapy and radiation..." So just to clarify, wouldn't those two very separate medical treatments result in very separate biological risk? And there are many different kinds of chemotherapy therapies, so I see it says that "some chemotherapy drugs" lead to cardiotoxicity --- thus sounds like it's impossible to know the side effects exercise-wise without knowing the chemo drugs being used, right?

So is it fair to summarize this article this way: some chemotherapy drugs affect the effectiveness of the heart rate in many different ways, so pushing to the limits couldlead to heart attack? If I'm missing the point, please do tell!

Last edited by: cervelo-van: Jan 20, 11 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read Tashas' blog, highly entertaining and real world experience with BC

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: cervelo-van: Jan 20, 11 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I think that's a very interesting topic for a PhD thesis - and such important information for so many athletic women hit with this awful disease. Distressing to have to worry first about the disease, then about the treatment. Geesh. I'll read the link later this evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are welcome. I have to say that I had no connection at all to BC, other than knowing about it in the media. Coming across Tashas blog educated me and made me much more aware of the issues. In fact., much more aware of the issues surrounding the disease, such as fights with Insurance companies, drugs to take after treatment and their effects etc. A lot of focus in the media is on the "fight" to beat the disease, but very little on what survivors go through. So, thanks to people like Tasha who make us all more aware and more humble in the face of these issues. Plus, her blog will make you laugh, and isn't that the best medicine?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, no, that is not the implications I am seeing, at least not from this study. What she was saying is that due to the HR for affected patients being at a different level and with stroke volume affected, standardized fitness tests used to establish an exercise program need to be reviewed and studied, which is what she did in this study,

So is it fair to summarize this article this way: some chemotherapy drugs affect the effectiveness of the heart rate in many different ways, so pushing to the limits couldlead to heart attack? If I'm missing the point, please do tell!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
You are welcome. I have to say that I had no connection at all to BC, other than knowing about it in the media. Coming across Tashas blog educated me and made me much more aware of the issues. In fact., much more aware of the issues surrounding the disease, such as fights with Insurance companies, drugs to take after treatment and their effects etc. A lot of focus in the media is on the "fight" to beat the disease, but very little on what survivors go through. So, thanks to people like Tasha who make us all more aware and more humble in the face of these issues. Plus, her blog will make you laugh, and isn't that the best medicine?

Aww, thanks for the kind words! Funny, but here I've been in kind of a funk over the last couple of days, wondering what the point of the blogging is anyway - so it's really nice to hear that someone's found it useful. And funny. :-) That makes my heart glad.

And CyclingMama2, if you do check out the blog, I was diagnosed in July of 2008, so that's when the shit hit the fan cancer-wise, so to speak. ANd as luck would have it (ha), I was training for IMWI at the time - and in August had a bad bike crash where I shattered my collarbone and got a serious brain injury. So I was a bit out of it for a while. In fact, there's a thread on here you can probably look up going back to that time when I first found my lump and was freaking out - i think it's called something like "Freaking out here" - and there's a sudden gap after the bike crash when I was completely out of it for a few months. :-)

As for tris and training - other entries you might find interesting start in early 2009, when I was training for IMCDA. Yes, an Ironman right after finishing treatment. In a word, it sucked. BIG time. I was exhausted, felt like crap - but being pissed off at cancer and having a way to get those frustrations out via biking/running actually helped. It was hard though - but if you try to persevere, I think the rewards are definitely there, physically and mentally. And the latest research has even shown that regular exercise can help prevent lymphedema! I had a shitload of lymph nodes taken out, but have never had a lymphdema problem.

I still feel like shit thanks to the stupid cancer drugs I'm on, and as a residual result of treatment, and from all the recon surgeries - but I put in a ton of training last summer and went cycling in the Alps, and actually made it up those bastards. Fuck you, cancer. :-) It can be done!

Anyway - good luck, and feel free to PM me if you'd like......

Tasha

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Breast cancer & training [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to see you post on this thread. I still think of you when I see PINK things! (and the U Maine breast cancer pink ribbon tulip garden is covered in snow right now)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Breast cancer & training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I was hoping to see you post on this thread. I still think of you when I see PINK things! (and the U Maine breast cancer pink ribbon tulip garden is covered in snow right now)

LOL, and you know I'm eagerly awaiting a picture of those tulips in the spring! That was VERY cool......

Tasha

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a woman here in WI who did Ironman a year after finishing chemo. I don't know her, but she's been in the news, perhaps you could stalk her down and contact her somehow?

http://gazettextra.com/...breast-cancer-slow-/

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: Breast cancer & training [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tasha,I checked out the blog and you are hilarious. I also got a kick out of the foobclub.blogspot.com which I think is you too, right? Love the entry about the tattoo parlor and Martha Stewart color palette- priceless. I'm not there yet, but expect to be later this year.

So you're telling me you had breast cancer, broken collarbone, and brain injury within a two month span in 2008? Holy cow. EIther one of those things, separate, would derail any mortal person for a while from getting back on the bike. You're awesome to heal then forge ahead and do what you love doing.

With two young kiddles at home (ages 6 & 8), I have no IM aspirations at this time of my life, but plan to do a charity bike tour in May (http://www.climateride.org) with an entry that was signed, sealed and delivered pre-diagnosis, provided I can get in some good quality saddle time. And I would love to do a half iron or olympic later in the summer, but very reluctant to commit until I know the when, what and where of the chemo therapy.
Thanks for chipping in.
Laura
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclingmama2 wrote:

So you're telling me you had breast cancer, broken collarbone, and brain injury within a two month span in 2008? Holy cow. EIther one of those things, separate, would derail any mortal person for a while from getting back on the bike. You're awesome to heal then forge ahead and do what you love doing.

Oh yes. But wait, there's more! (My life is very much like a Ronco commercial.) I also wound up with a horrible case of - ready for it? - poison ivy, when the good samaritan who dragged me out of the road after my bike crash carefully placed me in a patch of the stuff. Yes, even at the time, I had to laugh. Good times. ;-)

Good luck with your riding! If you decide you want to do any crazy bike rides in the Midwest, come on out, I'd be happy to host you! I still do the Dairyland Dare, the ride that I crashed on - this is the beauty of a brain injury, since i don't remember a damn thing. Not the crash, not the ambulance ride, not the 3 days in the hospital, etc. Definitely the way to go.

And good luck with your treatment! If you find yourself with questions or looking for support, I highly recommend that you check out YSC, http://www.youngsurvival.org/bulletin-board/. There are a bunch of us who do a lot of endurance type sports, and I know there are others there in addition to me who'd be happy to give you whatever kind of support you might need or want...

Tasha

--------------------

Quote Reply