Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Lukasz Wojt is probably a good swimmer to add to the list... not many years of triathlon experience. He's Polish Olympian 2008 swimmer, now racing from Germany in triathlon.

A few results that I found...

Personally, it was the second time I had the opportunity to follow him through Ironman Now... first in IM Austria and last weekend IM Italy

- 2018 IM Italy - 45:29 (no wetsuit) - Ocean swim - Not an easy with some currents at time
- 2018 IM Austria - 44:31 (wetsuit) - Fresh water (He stopped so many times to fix his swim cap... ) Guessing could have swim faster
- 2017 IM Frankfurt - 45:44 (no wetsuit) - Fresh water

- 2010 FINA swimming results 200M IM 1:58:80 - 400M IM - 4:09:19

Would like to see him with Josh Amberger in a race... those two would destroy the field!

I think the latest replies are not reading my post correctly... Please go back and read it

Just mentioning that we should add to the list never mentioned he was the GOAT!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one specified it had to be a 2.4m swim.

FASTEST swimmer in triathlon = Gary Hall Jr.
21.76 50M freestyle is faster than any other triathlete.

Name:Gary Hall Age:44 Gender:Male State:California
No Races Found
Triathlon Races

• RaceDateFinish TimeScore
    Cohasset Triathlon 2013[/url] 6/28/2013 01:28:03 61.877

Unless Alexander Popov has done any tri's?

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, the actual post does specify triathlon swimming, and I don't think Gary's open water swim was that impressive. He near the front, not off the front.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
My apologies, the actual post does specify triathlon swimming, and I don't think Gary's open water swim was that impressive. He near the front, not off the front.

While the OP does spec tri swimming, since tri swim courses are notoriously inaccurate, we can't compare one Oly swim vs another, or one IM swim vs another. Therefore, it would *seem* to me that pool swim times are the only way to really judge who is fastest. Since triathlons generally involve distance swimming, i would say that 1500 lcm times would be the best indicator. AFAIK, Lars has the fastest 1500 lcm time as he went 15:09 at the '88 Trials, vs Potts who went 15:39 at the '96 Trials. The Polish swimmer mentioned by MTL went 1:48 for 200 lcm on a relay, so he might be close to a 15:10-ish time, depending on how much he slows in the longer event. For now though, i'd say Lars is the fastest. Vargas's 1:59 200 lcm (assuming that is his best time) would not put him even close at the 1500.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
MTL wrote:
Lukasz Wojt is probably a good swimmer to add to the list... not many years of triathlon experience. He's Polish Olympian 2008 swimmer, now racing from Germany in triathlon.

A few results that I found...

Personally, it was the second time I had the opportunity to follow him through Ironman Now... first in IM Austria and last weekend IM Italy

- 2018 IM Italy - 45:29 (no wetsuit) - Ocean swim - Not an easy with some currents at time
- 2018 IM Austria - 44:31 (wetsuit) - Fresh water (He stopped so many times to fix his swim cap... ) Guessing could have swim faster
- 2017 IM Frankfurt - 45:44 (no wetsuit) - Fresh water

- 2010 FINA swimming results 200M IM 1:58:80 - 400M IM - 4:09:19

Would like to see him with Josh Amberger in a race... those two would destroy the field!

I think the latest replies are not reading my post correctly... Please go back and read it

Just mentioning that we should add to the list never mentioned he was the GOAT!

Looked up your guy on FINA and, actually, he went a 4:03 for 400 IM scm in 2010, which ranked him 8th in the world. Very impressive!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastest

None of the swimmers mentioned can swim as fast as Gary Hall Jr.

And none of the times for any events you listed is as “fast” as 21.76 50M.

Heck, if I could swim a 50 fast enough I never would have done a 200 fly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
Fastest

Ummm, but no triathlons have 50 m swims. And, for all we know, Cesar Cielo may have done a local tri down in Brazil and we just have not heard about it. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I fully understand that the 50 is THE sprint event but tri is more about speed across a longer distance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:03 400 IM is quick... some Ironman pros would get schooled by him doing breastroke

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
4:03 400 IM is quick... some Ironman pros would get schooled by him doing breaststroke

Ya, for sure they would; it would be cool to see a fast breast guy take off in a tri and leave the slower pros behind. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of considerations

- Jason Horn, 45-49 AG, 70.3 Sunshine Coast- 19:10! Top Pro was Clayton Fettell at 22:08, so not a short course, just SUPER fast!

- Mike Shafer- AG- IM Canada, 1994, Penticton- 42:xx (42:30 ish). All time IM swim record until about 2008ish, broken at a somewhat short IM Austria, and of course later at down current swims in NY and Chattanooga. Still probably the fastest legit IM swim ever, and only a couple of weeks after getting out of a wheel chair from a horrific bike accident!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
- Jason Horn, 45-49 AG, 70.3 Sunshine Coast- 19:10! Top Pro was Clayton Fettell at 22:08, so not a short course, just SUPER fast!
- Mike Shafer- AG- IM Canada, 1994, Penticton- 42:xx (42:30 ish). All time IM swim record until about 2008ish, broken at a somewhat short IM Austria, and of course later at down current swims in NY and Chattanooga. Still probably the fastest legit IM swim ever, and only a couple of weeks after getting out of a wheel chair from a horrific bike accident!

Regarding the 19:10 vs 22:08, i think the 19:10 must have been current-assisted, i.e. the current shifted between the pro's swim and the 45-49 wave. I say this b/c the 1500 m WR in the 50 m pool is 14:31. Given that Sun Yang had the benefit of starting off the blocks plus 29 turns, that adds up to at least 20 sec more in OW, so we can hypothesize the 1500 m OW WR at around 14:51ish, or about 59.7 per 100 m The half iron swim is 1.2 miles or about 1930 m. At best Yang could maybe hold 1:00.0 for the 1932 m swim but that still implies a time of 19:18. Therefore, the 19:10 can not a true non-assisted half iron swim time since it is just not believable that some 45 yr old age grouper is going to swim faster than WR pace. Sorry. :)

The 42:30 is somewhat more believable but still a bit doubtful. Based on the fastest OW times for the 5K OW swims, i'd guess the 2.4 swim WR, if it existed, would be around 41 min. While it is at least possible that an AG tri guy could swim that fast, i still kind of doubt it. AFAIK, Lars Jorgenson is the fastest 1500 m swimmer (15:09 lcm at the '88 Oly Trials) to ever do triathlons and he only went 46-low at Kona back in the 90s. Based on the recent discovery that the Kona swim course was about 200 m long for many yrs, and hence they shortened it in 2016, then Lars's time might be 43:45-ish on an accurate 3860 m course. Of course, he was probably a bit slower in the water due to all the time spent on the B and R, and hence less time and energy for swimming, so I'd guess he might have *only* have been able to 15:45 for 1500 lcm at the time he set the Kona record.

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [sftriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Dittrich could back it up like Potts too. Several times he led out the Kona swim & bike solo, and wasn't caught until the run. Podium finisher there too in '93. So I might go with Dittrich as best swimmer who could back it up.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this post was about the best swimmer among the best triathletes on the field...not swimmers that have no level (yet) to win any race
So...
ITU
Richard Varga
Henry Schoeman
J.Brownlee
Craig Walton!!!! (old days)

70.3 and IM
Amberger
Potts
Gomez
Frodo
Marko Albert

We just have to sit down and see their splits

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Mike200fly wrote:
Fastest

Ummm, but no triathlons have 50 m swims. And, for all we know, Cesar Cielo may have done a local tri down in Brazil and we just have not heard about it. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I fully understand that the 50 is THE sprint event but tri is more about speed across a longer distance.

unless they are doing age 7 tri stars...and I dont think Alexandr Popov at his best could pass for a young child
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I thought this post was about the best swimmer among the best triathletes on the field...not swimmers that have no level (yet) to win any race
So...
ITU
Richard Varga
Henry Schoeman
J.Brownlee
Craig Walton!!!! (old days)

70.3 and IM
Amberger
Potts
Gomez
Frodo
Marko Albert

We just have to sit down and see their splits

Ben Sanson would occasionally slow down to let Walton get on his feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Mike200fly wrote:
Fastest

unless they are doing age 7 tri stars...and I don't think Alexandr Popov at his best could pass for a young child

Ya, Popov was just a tad too tall to pass for a 7/8 yr old. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we're forgetting Pete Jacob's, while he's on sabbatical now, when racing he was always first pack. Pete also admitted to barely training for swimming, once a week most of the time.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

Regarding the 19:10 vs 22:08, i think the 19:10 must have been current-assisted, i.e. the current shifted between the pro's swim and the 45-49 wave. I say this b/c the 1500 m WR in the 50 m pool is 14:31. Given that Sun Yang had the benefit of starting off the blocks plus 29 turns, that adds up to at least 20 sec more in OW, so we can hypothesize the 1500 m OW WR at around 14:51ish, or about 59.7 per 100 m The half iron swim is 1.2 miles or about 1930 m. At best Yang could maybe hold 1:00.0 for the 1932 m swim but that still implies a time of 19:18. Therefore, the 19:10 can not a true non-assisted half iron swim time since it is just not believable that some 45 yr old age grouper is going to swim faster than WR pace. Sorry. :)

I CONSIDERED YOUR THEORY OF “CURRENT” BUT FOUND THATI UNLIKELY AS IT WAS A ROLLING START, AND HIS TIME DIFFERENCE TO THE NEXT BEST IN HIS AG WAS 5 + MINUTES, AND HE WAS 4+ MINUTES FASTER THAN ANY OTHER AGE GROUPER. I AGREE IT IS CRAZY FAST, BUT CANNOT SEE ANYTHING SUSPECT, UNLESS HE SOMEHOW CUT THE COURSE, BUT HE WAS NOT DQ’D. PERHAPS SOME OF THE AUSSIE SLOWTWITCHERS CAN COMMENT?

The 42:30 is somewhat more believable but still a bit doubtful. Based on the fastest OW times for the 5K OW swims, i'd guess the 2.4 swim WR, if it existed, would be around 41 min. While it is at least possible that an AG tri guy could swim that fast, i still kind of doubt it. AFAIK, Lars Jorgenson is the fastest 1500 m swimmer (15:09 lcm at the '88 Oly Trials) to ever do triathlons and he only went 46-low at Kona back in the 90s. Based on the recent discovery that the Kona swim course was about 200 m long for many yrs, and hence they shortened it in 2016, then Lars's time might be 43:45-ish on an accurate 3860 m course. Of course, he was probably a bit slower in the water due to all the time spent on the B and R, and hence less time and energy for swimming, so I'd guess he might have *only* have been able to 15:45 for 1500 lcm at the time he set the Kona record.

IN REGARD TO MIKE SHAFFER, THE TIME IS COMPLETELY LIGIT, AS ARE MIKE’S SWIM CREDENTIALS. SIMILAR TO ANDY POTTS, MIKE JUST MISSED A SPOT ON THE US OLYMPIC SWIM TEAM. DISTANCE FREESTYLE AND BUTTERFLY WERE HIS STROKES, GOING LOW 15 IN 1650 YARDS IN COLLEGE, (LOW 16 IN 1500 METERS WELL INTO HIS 40’s), ONE TIME HOLDER OF THE WORLD 1 HOUR SWIM RECORD, AND SUB 2 MINUTES IN THE 200 METER FLY. MIKE WOULD HAVE BEEN A PRO LEVEL TRIATHLETE IF NOT FOR THE BIKE ACCIDENT I MENTIONED. HIS LEFT LEG WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY SEVERED OFF. IT TOOK MONTHS TO BE ABLE TO JUST WALK AGAIN, WHICH IS WHAT HE DID AT IM CANADA. UNFORTUNATELY, HE WAS NEVER ABLE TO RUN ANYTHING BEYOND VERY SHORT DISTANCE AGAIN. HE COMPETES MAINLY IN AQUABIKE NOW, AND LAST YEAR AT WORLD LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS (IRONICALLY, ALSO IN PENDICTON), AT OVER 50 YEARS OLD, SWAM FASTER THAN ALL OF THE PRO MEN, INCLUDING ANDY POTTS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

I CONSIDERED YOUR THEORY OF “CURRENT” BUT FOUND THATI UNLIKELY AS IT WAS A ROLLING START, AND HIS TIME DIFFERENCE TO THE NEXT BEST IN HIS AG WAS 5 + MINUTES, AND HE WAS 4+ MINUTES FASTER THAN ANY OTHER AGE GROUPER. I AGREE IT IS CRAZY FAST, BUT CANNOT SEE ANYTHING SUSPECT, UNLESS HE SOMEHOW CUT THE COURSE, BUT HE WAS NOT DQ’D. PERHAPS SOME OF THE AUSSIE SLOWTWITCHERS CAN COMMENT?

IN REGARD TO MIKE SHAFFER, THE TIME IS COMPLETELY LIGIT, AS ARE MIKE’S SWIM CREDENTIALS. SIMILAR TO ANDY POTTS, MIKE JUST MISSED A SPOT ON THE US OLYMPIC SWIM TEAM. DISTANCE FREESTYLE AND BUTTERFLY WERE HIS STROKES, GOING LOW 15 IN 1650 YARDS IN COLLEGE, (LOW 16 IN 1500 METERS WELL INTO HIS 40’s), ONE TIME HOLDER OF THE WORLD 1 HOUR SWIM RECORD, AND SUB 2 MINUTES IN THE 200 METER FLY. MIKE WOULD HAVE BEEN A PRO LEVEL TRIATHLETE IF NOT FOR THE BIKE ACCIDENT I MENTIONED. HIS LEFT LEG WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY SEVERED OFF. IT TOOK MONTHS TO BE ABLE TO JUST WALK AGAIN, WHICH IS WHAT HE DID AT IM CANADA. UNFORTUNATELY, HE WAS NEVER ABLE TO RUN ANYTHING BEYOND VERY SHORT DISTANCE AGAIN. HE COMPETES MAINLY IN AQUABIKE NOW, AND LAST YEAR AT WORLD LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS (IRONICALLY, ALSO IN PENDICTON), AT OVER 50 YEARS OLD, SWAM FASTER THAN ALL OF THE PRO MEN, INCLUDING ANDY POTTS.

OK, I'll agree that Mike Shaffer is super legit, but still that might have been a somewhat short course since, as I said, the 2.4 mi WR would prob be around 41 min. Even more dramatically, that course for the 19:10 half must have been short since it is quite easy to see that even the WR holder could not swim that time. In any case, we can totally agree that these guys are greased lightning in the frigging water!!!

What a super bummer about Mike's leg...almost completely severed, that sounds like a battle wound, not a bike wreck. Must have been extremely, super painful. I broke my left femur in a bike crash about 10 yrs ago, and that hurt like hell even without any bleeding; whereas, he must have come close to bleeding out, what with all the blood going to the legs. He must have gotten some excellent and fast med help, like a big tourniquet on that leg.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

OK, I'll agree that Mike Shaffer is super legit, but still that might have been a somewhat short course since, as I said, the 2.4 mi WR would prob be around 41 min. Even more dramatically, that course for the 19:10 half must have been short since it is quite easy to see that even the WR holder could not swim that time. In any case, we can totally agree that these guys are greased lightning in the frigging water!!!

What a super bummer about Mike's leg...almost completely severed, that sounds like a battle wound, not a bike wreck. Must have been extremely, super painful. I broke my left femur in a bike crash about 10 yrs ago, and that hurt like hell even without any bleeding; whereas, he must have come close to bleeding out, what with all the blood going to the legs. He must have gotten some excellent and fast med help, like a big tourniquet on that leg.

Even if the course was short at Sunshine Coast- which looking at other times does not seem likely, beating the pro field in a 70.3, led by known fast swimmer Clayton Fettell by over 3 minutes is CRAZY, and in agreement with you, suspect. Hope some of our southern contingent comment on this.
In regard to Mike, it was one of the worst bike incidents I have heard of. He was hit head on by a car that drifted fully across an undivided hiway at 50 plus miles an hour, directly into his leg, then taking out the other 2 riders he was with. He got the brunt of the hit. He was in rehab, and wheelchair bound, from December 93 until late July, and still towed the line at IM Canada a few weeks after walking again. He led the pro field through about 40 miles of the bike, and ultimately came off the bike still in touch with the leaders. He then possibly set an IM record for slowest “run”, giving him the fastest IM swim and possibly slowest run on the same day! Mike is a great guy, and has numerous world masters records. He is also one of the rare pool swimmers who is actually better in open water. At 53 he would be right with the leaders, if not leading, at Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know the other guy, but for sure something is wrong with that 19 minute time, missed buoy, crazy current, but something is not kosher, Eric is right on that.

As for Mike, he is 100% legit, and Eric I think you are forgetting the wetsuit advantage. You can't compare what Lars does in a skin swim in Hawaii with a wetsuit swim, so take your 44 for lars and subtract a couple/three minutes for a wetsuit, and there is your comparison. And it would be a fair one, as I feel that Mike's time was probably very legit, guess we could look at all the other pro times to see for sure. But I'm not surprised he went 42+ in a wetsuit.

And unfortunately for him, he just happens to be in the masters age division of a friend of mine, Jeff Erwin. Cannot count the amount of times Jeff comes in with just a hair better time than Mike in all the distance events, the 3000/6000 and the hour swim every year. Both of those guys would swim in the lead group still in Kona at around 55 years old or so now, and possible with the breakaway group too.. I haven't looked, but I think Jeff still goes 5500+ for the hour swim, easily a time that could sit on some really fast feet...

Good stuff guys, lets keep this thread going!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

Even if the course was short at Sunshine Coast- which looking at other times does not seem likely, beating the pro field in a 70.3, led by known fast swimmer Clayton Fettell by over 3 minutes is CRAZY, and in agreement with you, suspect. Hope some of our southern contingent comment on this.
In regard to Mike, it was one of the worst bike incidents I have heard of. He was hit head on by a car that drifted fully across an undivided hiway at 50 plus miles an hour, directly into his leg, then taking out the other 2 riders he was with. He got the brunt of the hit. He was in rehab, and wheelchair bound, from December 93 until late July, and still towed the line at IM Canada a few weeks after walking again. He led the pro field through about 40 miles of the bike, and ultimately came off the bike still in touch with the leaders. He then possibly set an IM record for slowest “run”, giving him the fastest IM swim and possibly slowest run on the same day! Mike is a great guy, and has numerous world masters records. He is also one of the rare pool swimmers who is actually better in open water. At 53 he would be right with the leaders, if not leading, at Kona.

Ya, I looked Mike up on the USMS web site and indeed he has like 22 national records set over the years. Most impressive to me was his 2:00:39 for the 10K postal swim, which must be done in a long course pool; he's holding 1:12 per 100 lcm for 100 x 100 on zero rest. That to me is just amazing, SMH. And, it looks like that his 2:00:39, set at age 37ish in 2003, is still the all-time USMS record for this event, 15 years later.

What a horrific bike wreck, he's lucky to be alive and it is incredible that he still did IM Canada only 7-8 months later. I don't believe i would even ride a bike again after that wreck. :)

Last edited by: ericmulk: Sep 28, 18 22:12
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Triathlete Swimmer [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I dont know the other guy, but for sure something is wrong with that 19 minute time, missed buoy, crazy current, but something is not kosher, Eric is right on that.
As for Mike, he is 100% legit, and Eric I think you are forgetting the wetsuit advantage. You can't compare what Lars does in a skin swim in Hawaii with a wetsuit swim, so take your 44 for Lars and subtract a couple/three minutes for a wetsuit, and there is your comparison. And it would be a fair one, as I feel that Mike's time was probably very legit, guess we could look at all the other pro times to see for sure. But I'm not surprised he went 42+ in a wetsuit.
And unfortunately for him, he just happens to be in the masters age division of a friend of mine, Jeff Erwin. Cannot count the amount of times Jeff comes in with just a hair better time than Mike in all the distance events, the 3000/6000 and the hour swim every year. Both of those guys would swim in the lead group still in Kona at around 55 years old or so now, and possible with the breakaway group too.. I haven't looked, but I think Jeff still goes 5500+ for the hour swim, easily a time that could sit on some really fast feet...
Good stuff guys, lets keep this thread going!!

Ya Monty, you are abso correct, i had not thought of the wetsuit but i guess almost all IM Canada swims are wettie legal. So, we might call it a dead heat between Lars and Mike. Lars, Mike, and your buddy Jeff Erwin all swam at the '88 Trials. I looked up these results on USA Swimming's web site and it looks like Mike only swam the 200 fly but he made the finals, finishing 7th OA in 2:01.15 vs the 2nd place time of 1:59.56. Lars and Jeff swam the 1500 with Lars reaching the final and going 15:10 for 2nd in the finals. Jeff went 15:49 in the prelims.

I looked at the'84 and '92 Trials results also and did not see Mike or Jeff's names in either. Lars did not compete in '84 but swam the 400 free and the 1500 in '92, but did not make top 2 in either event.

Quote Reply

Prev Next